'Disney is pricing itself out of business.' ... Nope

geek1997

Maybe some of it is perceived value as well? "Look at all the neat places we're going!" vs. the average Disney vacationer going to Florida, experiencing long lines, and seeing the prices at every meal (whether you have the meal plan or not). Never having actually been on a cruise myself, this is only speculation. I'd chose a "more expensive" Disney vacation any day. :noidea:

BSS

Once you add taxes, fees, gratuities and shore excursions, that $2,000 cruise for 4 will be much closer to $3,500. We just did one in April. Person for person, our last two cruises have come in at about the same cost as a trip to Disney World by the time you include gratuities, taxes, port fees and shore excursions - all of which which must be included in cruise price comparison if you're going to compare to Disney. Most of our other recent vacations have been similarly priced as well. Some of that is that we have a budget for a vacation and I try to get them all to be close to that target number, but we don't exactly skimp or sacrifice on any trip. Yes, Disney is expensive, but so are all vacations. Yes, Disney is adding more fees and extra cost events, but so are cruise lines.

All about me

I guess if you're comparing hurricane season rates to Disney then yeah, it can appear to be a better value. But that price doesn't include any shore activities. Plus 4 people in an interior room? Yikes. Perhaps there's where my numbers get skewed as a family of 5 we get two rooms.
Yes, having two rooms as opposed to one does significantly increase your cost. And yes, I did not include shore activities for the cruise (or any dessert parties, tours, ect for the Disney World vacation) as I was doing basic pricing.

As to your 'Yikes', I agree. I wouldn't do four people in a standard All-Star Movie room either. But, again, I was doing basic pricing.

It doesn't cost double. Assuming you're traveling during peak travel times (if you have school aged children, you probably are), the cost is about the same.
I chose that particular time because that is the time frame I am doing my own Disney cruise. It is with two school age children. But I am a feckless grandmother as opposed to a responsible parent.

All I'm saying is Disney gets labeled as price gouging, while the cruise lines seem to have a "great value for your money" reputation. To me both claims are misleading.
Because cruises can be a great value for your money depending on your needs, tastes, ect, just like an all-inclusive resort in Caribbean/Mexico can be a great value for your money depending on your needs, tastes, ect.

But Disney World is always expensive. It doesn't matter how you plan your Disney experience, it is going to cost you big bucks. I went as cheap as possible with both my recent Disney World trips and they were still very costly affairs when compared to other, same length, vacation possibilities.

Disney World is a unique, in-demand product so the company prices it high to maximize profits. Clearly though, the cost is worth it for a lot of people otherwise the lines wouldn't be so long. It was certainly worth the cost for my experiences with my granddaughters. However I have a new grandson and another granddaughter on the way and I have already warned the parents not to assume I will bringing either of these children on a Disney World vacation due to the growing prices (hotel/tickets package is already two hundred and thirty dollars higher than my trip eighteen months ago).

Once you add taxes, fees, gratuities and shore excursions, that $2,000 cruise for 4 will be much closer to $3,500.
Taxes and fees were included in both the Royal Caribbean cruise price and the Disney World price.

Gratuities and upcharge events like shore excursions on the Royal Caribbean cruise and dessert parties at Disney World were not included because I was doing a basic price and both can added at will on both trips to increase your price as much or as little as you wish.

Also note, I could have increased the price of the Disney World vacation to $4980.52 of by choosing the more comparable Deluxe Dining plan but I didn't think that was fair because I was sticking to basic for everything else.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I know many people for whom a vacation at a place with four theme parks and dozens of resorts would be akin to slamming their hand in a car door. Repeatedly. Which is a way of saying you can't compare apples to oranges.

bnoble

he's right
Exactly so. M would much rather do a Disney cruise than a WDW theme park vacation. For her, the cruise is a better value even though it is more expensive. =

ChristineOH

I have found a Royal Caribbean cruise more on par with a WDW vacation, cost wise, and while we loved the one RC cruise we went on, we have gone back WDW three times since and not cruised again.

Now a Disney cruise compared to a WDW vacation? A Disney cruise is much more expensive. I don't think we will ever do one. Disney hotel costs have increased significantly since we started vacationing at WDW in 2011, yet I keep paying to stay onsite. They have me hooked for now.

nolarookie

There are ways to pay significantly less on a WDW vacation-not so much on a cruise unless you get a good sale. The only thing you can’t get too much of a break on with WDW vacations are park tickets. Comparing a cruise to a theme park is an apples to oranges comparison.

All about me

M would much rather do a Disney cruise than a WDW theme park vacation. For her, the cruise is a better value even though it is more expensive.
I am with M.

I had no problem swallowing the price of my Disney cruise but my Disney World trips both choked a bit on the way down.

cboyer

The fact is, Disney is increasing their pricing because they can. The economy is good, and they are coming off a recession, so they are taking advantage of the good times while they can by making money. The thing I feel they need to be careful of is the next recession. If they make the basics, like hotels, food and park tickets too expensive now, the fall out when the next recession hits will be less people will be able to afford to go. If they make the extras more expensive, people can cut those out and still go during a down turn and have a good time. Its a fine line, and if they are not careful with increasing the prices of the basics it could be a big down turn when the time comes. Of course, they can always counter it with promotions, lots of free dining, stay and play packages, etc. to get the price of those basics down.

I think what annoys me the most is not the prices going up, but the value going down. I don't mind paying more if I feel I am getting my money's worth. But I don't like paying more for a meal than I did last year but the food is worse, the quality at a lot of the restaurants have gone down quite a bit but the prices keep going up. And that is just one example, there are others I have experienced as well.

All about me

I think what annoys me the most is not the prices going up, but the value going down. I don't mind paying more if I feel I am getting my money's worth.
I have been made aware I may find the same issue on our cruise. There are reports of understaffing, poor food quality, less activities, aggressive upselling, ect.

So what I should have said was: in the past, Disney cruises have been a better value than Disney World trips for my family. We shall see when I compare our October Disney cruise to our Disney World trips over the last two years.

All about me

I have been made aware I may find the same issue on our cruise. There are reports of understaffing, poor food quality, less activities, aggressive upselling, ect.

So what I should have said was: in the past, Disney cruises have been a better value than Disney World trips for my family. We shall see when I compare our October Disney cruise to our Disney World trips over the last two years.
Update:
None of those issues occurred and it was an amazing trip. Both my granddaughters want another Disney Cruise for their graduation present. (I originally planned to write a trip report for it but several rather aggressive life events occurred in the months afterwards and I am still playing catch up from everything.)