Disney road signs

nursepaula

Random I know but: we are driving down to FL this weekend (eeeeeeeeeekkkk!!!!) taking 75 south from Ohio, staying at Windsor Hills. Kids don't know we are going and we don't plan to tell them until they figure it out or we are at our first park, whichever comes first. Mostly because we haven't planned any kind of big/special reveal. Wondering at what point we will start seeing signs along the highway for WDW? Any chance we can avoid them altogether on arrival night and keep denying our destination til we hit the parks the next morning?

jillyb

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversa
If I remember correctly from my drive down you start seeing signs on I-4. Not sure there is a way to avoid them. Maybe the kids will be asleep if you're lucky!

paxsarah

If you come down 429 toll from the turnpike (which is how we usually come), you might see fewer signs/billboards than on I-4. However, there is one point where you have a perfect view of the Contemporary and MK from a distance, and then later the WDW exit is clearly marked. Maybe if you got off at the prior exit to that and stayed to the west? Or you could distract them as you pass the Western Way exit.

D

Deleted member 519

I think we start seeing a sign or two in Gainesville on 75. You'll definitely see them on the turnpike.

stevenmilz

josh's date at akershus
I think we start seeing a sign or two in Gainesville on 75. You'll definitely see them on the turnpike.

Absolutely... if you're coming I-75, you'll take the FL Turnpike to the WDW area. There is no avoiding the billboards... sorry!

geek1997

Save that $1000 you're about to throw on the ground: could you hand them the ipad or put on a movie before you hit the turnpike?

stevenmilz

josh's date at akershus
You could always turn around and take a flash photo of them whenever you see a billboard. Temporary night blindness won't kill anyone... :RpS_wink:

MrFredricksen

We drove up from the West Palm area (this was not a surprise trip) and we wanted to play a game. We bet how far away from the parks we would be before we saw the first billboard and how many billboards we would see. The answer....NONE. We were shocked. We made it all the way to the hotel without seeing a single billboard. I guess it all depends on which way you are coming from.

nursepaula

Vacation ruined.

Save that $1000 you're about to throw on the ground: could you hand them the ipad or put on a movie before you hit the turnpike?

You could always turn around and take a flash photo of them whenever you see a billboard. Temporary night blindness won't kill anyone... :RpS_wink:

Hahahaha!!! I needed this- Thanks everyone! MrF, I bet DH that at the very least DD9 will figure it out when we wake all the girls up in the middle of the night to put them in the car. I am pretty sure she will have her sisters convinced of our destination before we get through Kentucky!

nursepaula

Well - I lost the bet big time. We are 15 min north of GA and it took the girls a half hour to figure out in which direction we are driving. And they still don't know what state we are in!

kmc8826

Well - I lost the bet big time. We are 15 min north of GA and it took the girls a half hour to figure out in which direction we are driving. And they still don't know what state we are in!

Are they happy about the surprise though? As much as you thought they would be? We are going to surprise our girls for the first time this October trip but are trying to decide how much time to give them before we just go. I am leaning toward giving them about a week. (Flying not driving so they will figure it out when we are heading to the airport).

nursepaula

Are they happy about the surprise though? As much as you thought they would be?

Yes? They are currently like, "long car ride? Meh. Ooh, new books!" They are too interested in what I've brought to keep them busy for now. Only DD8 has asked repeatedly where we are and what state is next. She's pretty pumped and wants to know everything RIGHT NOW. DH isn't telling yet and will let him have his fun/won't say anything til the asking turns to whining. Everyone so far is holding up pretty well so we may be ok til we get to FL? DDs6 are in the way back looking for Waldo and listening to Junie B Jones, and DD9 is reading the Half-Blood Prince. DD8 just started watching Maleficent so we've got a couple of hours at least :)

KateG

What a wonderful surprise. I have one kid who HATES surprises. Not telling her we were going to Disney...would absolutely ruin the trip for her. But I just love the surprise stories! Hope you guys have a Magical Trip!!!!