Disney Vacation Account - first hand report

Micah008

I finally got a response today too, and they answered a few of my questions. In the end, it is very limited what you actually can use it for, and the only thing I would trust for sure is packages or tickets. Everything else is unlikely.

Because I only wanted the account for DVC Dues, and a Room-only reservation... I told them just to refund the money. They said I was the first refund, and they will get back to me tomorrow. I will let everyone know how it goes, but so far even the refund is in progress.

Micah008

One other thing I learned is that the Gift Card phone people know the most about the Disney Vacation Account, and many other departments know very little (or nothing).

clanmcculloch

expert on dietary needs and disney dining
How the heck did you get somebody who could do the refund? I got bounced around on the phone last night for over an hour. I did finally get confirmation that it's the gift card folks who do it but the regular gift card line didn't have a clue. The second guy I called to in the gift card line gave me the gift card customer service number but they had closed 10 minutes earlier so I couldn't get through.

One CM I was talking to was very interested in my experience. She had just been on a Disney cruise and they were really pushing the accounts so she was considering it. They did not tell them any of the limitations so she was taking notes as well as trying to find anything in writing that she could give me to tell whomever her manager would find to help me (she couldn't but she was getting her manager to find the right person; she stayed with me for over half an hour trying to find the right person; she's the one who got me to the gift card folks). There was nothing that she could find but at least they got me to the gift card people.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
How the heck did you get somebody who could do the refund? I got bounced around on the phone last night for over an hour. I did finally get confirmation that it's the gift card folks who do it but the regular gift card line didn't have a clue. The second guy I called to in the gift card line gave me the gift card customer service number but they had closed 10 minutes earlier so I couldn't get through.

One CM I was talking to was very interested in my experience. She had just been on a Disney cruise and they were really pushing the accounts so she was considering it. They did not tell them any of the limitations so she was taking notes as well as trying to find anything in writing that she could give me to tell whomever her manager would find to help me (she couldn't but she was getting her manager to find the right person; she stayed with me for over half an hour trying to find the right person; she's the one who got me to the gift card folks). There was nothing that she could find but at least they got me to the gift card people.
And did the GC People help you?

clanmcculloch

I got somebody really helpful this time. I ended up back at the gift card number I called twice last night with no luck and this time got a great CM. After unsuccessfully trying some things to see if he could get it applied, he said he'd get all the gift cards refunded and call me back when he'd done. I expect a call back later today.

Just to let you know, to get the refund call 407-939-7734 then choose options 5 - 3 - 0. If you're actually listening to the prompts, that's 5-WDW, 3-fraudulent activity on a GC (I know, that's not what's happening but it gets you to the right people), 0-customer service representative. If you get somebody who doesn't know what to do, just like with all other Disney lines just hang up and try again.

blyday

tests unsafe roller coasts in china
Wow...what a mess. I guess that the catch that I wondered about from the beginning but then let it slide was the fact that this is for the Walt Disney Travel Company. That is the subsidiary that is responsible for booking Disney Vacation Packages. The packages and room only reservations are technically handled by 2 different companies. That is why you can't just simply change a room only reservation to a package reservation. I often tell people it is because they are just 2 different computer systems that don't talk well with each other but it really is more then that. And of course DVC is a completely different company on top of that. It all gets confusing because they are all owned by Disney and yet, they are all each separately ran businesses.

Micah008

I have now successfully had all of the money refunded back to my Gift Cards. Even that didn't go as smoothly as hoped, but the CM I worked with was really good and was interested in making sure it worked correctly.

So, after being a guinea pig and trying some things... I now have all of the money back where it started. All I lost in the end was the time on the phone messing around with it.

I still think there must be a way to use this for a room-only reservation (their FAQ says it works) but I am not going to spend any more time trying to figure it out.

gorsh

Goofus D. Dawg
This thread has been interesting. I came across the vacation account just about the time this thread started, and thought it looked interesting, but I never know if I am going to do room only or a package until I am ready to book so the account really doesn't help at all. Let us know when you guys are fully refunded! Thanks for being the guinea pigs!!!

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
You'd think Dazney would make it easier to spend money. Then again, they got the "make it hard to give people their money back" part of the equation correct, so they're halfway there!

Vhaz

I was reading up on the Disney Vacation Account today as I am using it to pay for our package in September and I noticed this:

Can I pay for hotel reservations with my Disney Vacation Account?
Yes, you may use your Disney Vacation Account to pay for hotel-only reservations at the following hotels:
Walt Disney World Resort in Florida

• Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
  • Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
  • Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
  • Disney's All-Star Music Resort
  • Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
  • Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
  • Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas
  • Disney's Art of Animation Resort
  • Disney's Beach Club Resort
  • Disney's BoardWalk Inn
  • Disney's BoardWalk Villas
  • Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
  • Disney's Contemporary Resort
  • Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
  • Disney's Pop Century Resort
  • Disney's Port Orleans Resort – Riverside
  • Disney's Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter
  • Disney's Polynesian Resort
  • Disney's Wilderness Lodge
  • Disney's Yacht Club Resort
  • The Cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort
  • The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort
  • The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Hawai`i

• Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa in Ko Olina, Hawaii

Have the rules changed? Also, could I use this to purchase an Annual pass?

If I am reading this correctly, one can use the account to pay for Room only or tickets and still get the rewards...

What is the Bonus program?
You'll be eligible for a $20 Disney Gift Card for every $1000 you spend on qualified vacation purchases with your Disney Vacation Account prior to December 31, 2015 (date subject to extension), up to a total maximum of $500 in Disney Gift Card(s) per household. Your Disney Vacation Account must be active for a minimum of 120 days at the time of spending in order to receive this Bonus. All accounts registered to the same address are considered part of the same household.
Qualified vacation purchases include vacation packages for the Walt Disney World Resort or the Disneyland Resort, theme park tickets, room stays, cruise fare, and vacations by Adventures By Disney. Purchases of Disney Gift Cards are not qualified vacation purchases for purposes of this Bonus program.
Request your Disney Gift Card(s) 4 to 6 weeks in advance of your vacation date to allow time for delivery to your mailing address.

clanmcculloch

With all the problems I was having, I wasn't about to take the risk of not being able to use it at check-in. Until I read of others being able to do it successfully I'm not using it for room only reservations or ticket purchases.

AngiTN

No idea why it got so complicated for others to pay for a room only reservation. I sat up a DSA back in Jan when it was first announced and have used it for room only, no problem at all. I even got a refund for my first room only reservation and booked a 2nd one with the account. Yes, to pay on a room only reservation you have to call, no matter what type of payment you are doing. It's very simple to use. A free $20 is a free $20 so I'll continue to use it, provided I can have at least $1000 in there for 120 days. Sorry so many are having issues with it. I think the issues are not with the account but with the CMs on the phone who are clueless on using the accounts.

Last edited:

Vhaz

I wanted to come back and update this for any one thinking about using the DVA. I purchased Halloween Party tickets with it, no problem at all, it went through just like a gift card would.
I also just paid for my package (free dining) and requested my bonus. I should get $60 in gift cards for using it. I got a message stating that they were calculating my bonus and will send the cards with in 2-3 weeks of my travel date.

Worked great for us! I just loaded the gift cards in to the DVA as I bought them and made sure my account was 120 days old when I paid my balance. I'll try to remember and update when we get the bonus gift cards too. :RpS_biggrin:

AngiTN

I'm glad you posted your update. I forgot all about posting mine.

I too got my bonus. I got $80 just for using the account to store our gift cards. Not bad if you ask me.

So to summarize, with the DVA I was able to

Book our Resort, pay it off in full once I got the full amount in there. I figured why not do this before hand, instead of at check in
Ordered park tickets
Ordered Harambe Nights tickets
Had the balance left in the account sent to me on a single gift card
Got my bonus (I have received it, it was sent about 3 weeks after I requested it)

The only thing I was not able to do with the DVA was purchase the Photopass Archive Disk

Big Kid

Thanks for sharing your experiences, everyone. I thought about DVA for about 4 seconds when I saw the first ad, but a 2% discount didn't seem a compelling reason to tie up money in a way that would make it more difficult to access. As a place to park gift cards purchased with my Target Red Card, however, it makes more sense. I used a stack of $50 gift cards on our last trip to pay for meals, but found them almost more trouble to keep track of than they were worth.

I need to buy a couple of annual passes for our January trip so I think I'll give this a try.

George

It seems like DVA has ironed out some of its wrinkles.

You can pay DVC dues from your DVA now, and every $1,000 spent will earn you a $20 Disney Gift Card*. You just have to call Member Services and tell them you want to pay your dues using a Gift Card; don't mention DVA, since they probably won't know what you're talking about. Cast Member roulette, you know.

Here's the DIS thread. Once in a while they're good for something!

*After 120 days of the account being open. Since many of us here got accounts last January, we're covered. But new Account members are reporting that they signed up and six months later got their GCs.

Brandie

Will work for Dole Whips.
Thanks for reporting back from the DIS. I'm glad there's brave souls like you willing to go over there and find the pearls.

George

Thanks for reporting back from the DIS. I'm glad there's brave souls like you willing to go over there and find the pearls.
The DVC and DLR sections are pretty civil. I have to say I never read the WDW sections there, unless I'm pointed there by others to a particularly entertaining train wreck. Then it's Hill. Larry. Us.