Disney Vacation Account - first hand report

SUSIEQ

It seems like this whole concept is way more confusing than it needs to be. So many rules and restrictions, and then you have to rely upon getting just the right CM to process a routine transaction.
That is exactly right! Hope it gets better over time.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
It seems like this whole concept is way more confusing than it needs to be. So many rules and restrictions, and then you have to rely upon getting just the right CM to process a routine transaction.
Isn't that true of Disney clerical in general? Why should this be any different?

AngiTN

Thought it was interesting when the local morning news did a story last week announcing the new Disney Vacation Account program. First it wasn't new and second, I wondered why it was in the news cycle that day. The funny thing is one of the anchors said to the other "why can't you just use your own bank?" after she did the segment.

davper

Right now the limit of $500 is preventing me from using it again. I got nearly $400 paid out towards our trip last summer. If I'm limited to just $100 over and above it's really not worthwhile to use now.

This $500 limit is the amount of Bonus gift cards you can receive. The bonus is for every $1000 you spend, you get a $20 bonus gift card. This calculation doesn't kick in until you have had the account opened for 120.

There does not appear to be a limit for the number of gift cards you can receive. Every 90 days, you can request up to a $1000 gift card.

How I use this account is to combine my discounted gift cards at $50 each. I do this so I do not have to read off dozens of cards to CS/MS. I buy my park tickets and pay for room ressies. And by 2016, I will be paying for my maintenance fees. All at up to a 15% discount.

George

There does not appear to be a limit for the number of gift cards you can receive. Every 90 days, you can request up to a $1000 gift card.

How I use this account is to combine my discounted gift cards at $50 each. I do this so I do not have to read off dozens of cards to CS/MS. I buy my park tickets and pay for room ressies. And by 2016, I will be paying for my maintenance fees. All at up to a 15% discount.
That's how I use it. I don't buy packages, so I won't use the DVA to pay off a vacation package balance (bummer, since that would count towards the Bonus Gift Card promo). This last trip I requested and received the $1,000 GC, which I used throughout the week, as I was staying offsite. I'd love to do this again, as we're going to DLR in mid-July, but I think I'll be inside my every-90-days limit. What I might do is call VGC and see if they can apply a GC (actually my DVA number) to my currently non-existent balance (I'm using points for that stay), so that room charges will be paid off as a legal-for-Bonus-Giftcard-purposes spend. I'll keep you posted.

Javaj

Anyone else having issues with entering Disney Gift Cards into DVA the last couple of days? I had a problem yesterday when I entered a card and received a "Missing Required Field" error. I thought maybe it was a bad gift card from Target that I'd have to return to Target, so I tried another one but the same error was displayed.

I checked my gift card balance on each and they both showed $50 to start, then a debit and 0 card balance left, but nothing was credited to DVA. Called Disney yesterday and they said there was a known problem with gift cards and to try again today. Both gift cards still show 0 balance at this time, and neither have credited to my DVA account. I have 6 gift cards left to enter, plus the 2 at 0 balance. I have a room only ressie in 13 days but was wanting to add the dining plan and pay off the package with DVA so I'm in a little bit of a time crunch. I'll call them again Monday but was just checking if anyone else had experienced this?

Micah008

Anyone else having issues with entering Disney Gift Cards into DVA the last couple of days?
Yes. I entered quite a few cards on Thursday night, and had a lot of issues. I had the error you mentioned, plus a few other different ones. It also said my account was locked out at one point and I had to call to unlock it. When I called they said they had been having issues the last few days, and my account wasn't really locked, I just needed to close and reopen the browser and try again.

It took at least 5x longer than normal to enter my cards in, but I eventually got them all entered and see the balance is what I expected.

Antimony1019

Anyone have any issues with the glitch in the system that occurred last week? They took an extra deposit out for us, not a big deal. I'm just a bit more concerned because the site is still down and for me it has been since last Thursday. Granted we don't need to do anything with the transfer until September but it just seems like it has been down for an awfully long time and aside from 1 email from them about depositing in error I haven't gotten any additional communication.

George

I hadn't heard anything about this, but the site is down for me too. I'm not concerned, as I don't need anything at this time either.

Do I understand this correctly? I can open a DVA and load all of my giftcards into it. Then I can call Disney and pay off my package that I booked throgh a TA. If the money is there for 120 days I'll get the bonus gift cards and if there is any leftover I can buy a giftcard to take on my trip. Does that all sound correct?

George

Do I understand this correctly? I can open a DVA and load all of my giftcards into it. Then I can call Disney and pay off my package that I booked throgh a TA. If the money is there for 120 days I'll get the bonus gift cards and if there is any leftover I can buy a giftcard to take on my trip. Does that all sound correct?
Yes. But even if you don't have the money there for 120 days, you'll still get the bonus as soon as you hit the 120-day milestone.

Also be aware that to qualify for the bonus GC, you must use the funds to pay off trips. Refund GC amounts don't count.

Micah008

I have been trying to load some gift cards since last Wednesday, and it has been down the entire time. Sometimes it starts looking like it might work, and then I jsut get a different error. I am just glad I don't need to pull money out of it right now, or I would be really frustrated.

George

I got the following email this afternoon:

Dear GEORGE XXXXXX,

We are very sorry for recent difficulties accessing your Disney Vacation Account.

The Disney Vacation Account website is currently experiencing a longer than expected downtime. We are working diligently to make the website available for you as quickly as possible. We will contact you again when DisneyVacationAccount.com is back online.

If you have additional questions, please call 407-939-7734.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

Walt Disney Travel Co., Inc.
1375 Buena Vista Drive
PO Box 10000
Lake Buena Vista, FL 33830
You may obtain a full refund of your Disney Vacation Account at any time.

Micah008

I got the same email today, after them having issues for about a week, and no communication.

And, ironically... I looked again tonight, and the site appears to be up and running, and working just fine. Funny.

GEOARH

Hi all! Thanks for the great discussion. I wonder if you wouldn't spell it out for a newbie. I checked the DVA page under FAQ and it says (see below) that you can't use DVA for DVC. I'm wondering if I have to set up a DVA request a Gift Card and then use the gift card to pay for my dues?

I've used gift cards to pay for my hotel and debited to the room for room charges (thank you target for the 5%), but that's always been on day of arrival and I have to stand there with 40 cards.

Could I do the same for DVC dues? We're buying a contract now, dues due in January.

Thanks!

Can I apply my Disney Vacation Account toward a Disney Vacation Club Membership?
No, Disney Vacation Club Real Estate interests cannot be purchased with the Disney Vacation Account.

Can I apply my Disney Vacation Account toward the Annual Dues for my Disney Vacation Club Membership?
No, your Annual Dues cannot be paid using your Disney Vacation Account.

George

Hi all! Thanks for the great discussion. I wonder if you wouldn't spell it out for a newbie. I checked the DVA page under FAQ and it says (see below) that you can't use DVA for DVC. I'm wondering if I have to set up a DVA request a Gift Card and then use the gift card to pay for my dues?

I've used gift cards to pay for my hotel and debited to the room for room charges (thank you target for the 5%), but that's always been on day of arrival and I have to stand there with 40 cards.

Could I do the same for DVC dues? We're buying a contract now, dues due in January.

Thanks!

Can I apply my Disney Vacation Account toward a Disney Vacation Club Membership?
No, Disney Vacation Club Real Estate interests cannot be purchased with the Disney Vacation Account.

Can I apply my Disney Vacation Account toward the Annual Dues for my Disney Vacation Club Membership?
No, your Annual Dues cannot be paid using your Disney Vacation Account.

You can't use DVA to purchase DVC (I tried), but you absolutely can use it to pay dues, despite what you quoted above. When you call Member Services, just tell them you want to pay with a GIFT CARD (NOT DVA Account; they'll short-circuit and not know what you're talking about), and just give them your DVA number as if it's a GC. Many of us have done just that, successfully.

Micah008

Like George, I was also able to pay my Dues with the Disney Vacation Account, by giving them the number as if it was a gift card. This worked great when I paid in Jan '15, but it did not work when I paid in Jan '14. It has also will work well for buying park tickets, but I was not successful trying to pay for room charges at the front desk.

Be aware that there is no guarantee this will keep working for DVC Dues, especially considering their FAQ you quoted... but I will keep doing it as long as it works.

I loaded all my giftcards into my DVA and then tried to make a payment. The first call the castmember said she couldn't access my reservation and I needed to call my TA ,I think this was just the regular reservation number. I found a number for DVA specifically and tried again. This time the castmember said to give my TA my DVA account number but tell her it was a reward card and give her a 12/31/2015 exp date. Called my TA and she thought she could call in the payment, but she couldn't. However she gave me a different number to call. This number had an option to pay for a reservation booked through a TA as the first option. I pressed 1 and a friendly CM took my payment with no problems. In case anyone else needs it the number is 407 939 7626.