Disney+

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Just curious, and I've googled and seen nothing, but has anyone seen when the app (if that's what it's called on streaming boxes) will be available to install?

I'm picturing a gazillion people downloading it all at the same time on 11/12 and crashing the system. Because Disney IT...

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
I'd feel more confident if there had been a beta testing period. It took a year or more for AT&T's DirecTV Now service to resemble a stable platform. With Disney+ releasing popular series like The Mandalorian on a weekly basis, creating very limited periods of extreme demand over the course of a week, I think they're putting themselves at risk for service issues.

bnoble

he's right
In some sense, ESPN+ was the beta test. I'm reading yesterday's earnings call transcript now, and one interesting bit: ESPN+ has 3.5M subscribers, and the UFC 244 PPV event looked like it drew about 900K simultaneous views. There is also this:

in preparation for the US launch [of D+], we tested the technology in the Netherlands, giving consumers free access to a curated collection of library content, and we've been very pleased with the results, including the technical soundness and reliability of the platform. The user feedback has been extremely positive with praise for the elegance and ease of the interface and the quality of the overall experience. The ability to download the content has also been a big hit, and the brand-centric navigation has generated an elegance and an ease of use that was well received by users.
The UFC thing is probably not in the same order of magnitude as Mandalorian will be, but the latter isn't a sporting event so there may be some time-shifting, even if by only a few hours, and that will help.

Is it a risk? Yes. But, the roll-out has been aggressive, so they seem to believe that between ESPN+ and the Dutch trial that they are ready for it. Time will tell, but I'm only sort of skeptical.

(I also met someone who works for Disney in LA a few weeks ago; some company employees have had access to the platform for a while now.)

bnoble

he's right
I'm not quite through the transcript, and they were a little cagey about it, but it sounds as though D+ subs are definitely not at the scale of Hulu (low 8 figures) and maybe not even E+ (low/mid 7 figures).

Alcachofa

As to downloading the app itself, that will be handled through the various app stores, and Disney IT has nothing to do with it.

As for streaming problems, I dunno. I recall HBO had problems a couple years ago with new episodes of GoT. I would assume people at Disney studied that and learned from it. EDIT: Oh, I just noticed there will be a 7 day free trial. Yikes. That's gonna put a lot pressure on the servers. Again though, I assume they are prepared for this.

Last edited:

Micah008

Staff member
I also have been wondering about the downloading of the app itself. I agree with Alcachofa that it will be handled through the various app stores (Google, etc) or device updates (Roku, Xbox etc), so I am less worried about that part of it (they can handle way more downloads/updates than Disney+ will generate). At this time it seems none of them (at least none I own) have pushed out the update yet, and are all waiting until Monday night to push it out. It will also be interesting to see how well it is supported by various "Smart TV" manufacturers, especially on Day 1.

Does anyone have a device where they already see the app?

I have multiple options at least until things get figured out... and at a minimum anyone should be able to watch through a PC until the various apps are pushed out.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Again though, I assume they are prepared for this.
Hopefully better than they prepare for the release of Free Dining (website crash/Stitch ate the page) or the opening of runDisney race registration (website crash/virtual queue hanging indefinitely)...

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
12:01 AM Tuesday, the app will be available, though some streaming platforms may be rolling it out earlier (the app, not the content), based upon what I read this morning.

We bought a year then Verizon gave a free year on our unlimited data account. 2 for 1! Very competitively priced... I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Very relieved Bob made that last minute decision to play nice with Amazon Firestick 4K because that's all we use to run our subscriptions.

bnoble

he's right
i poked around a little this morning before gearing up to shovel what is reportedly a bit over 9" of snow. A few category searches didn't work, but everything else seemed to be okay. I did not try to stream Mandalorian, b/c I did not want to get sucked into that just yet. The few things I did start were okay. Things were a little sluggish but the stream was fine once it started.

kristenb

DH watched The Mandalorian this morning while on the bike, 5am eastern. Said it was good but he didn’t explore the app any further. With the free week it may not settle for a bit.

jillyb

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversa
Had to let my dog out at 1:00 a.m. so I checked to see if it was showing up in the channels yet on my Roku TV. It wasn't there but I found it when I did a search. Added the channel then logged in with no problem. My daughter has a Samsung Smart TV. I couldn't find it in the app store on the TV but did find it for the Xbox One. Had issues with logging in so I'll try it again later.

Side note: I really dislike the Samsung Smart TV. I need to get her a Roku TV like I have.

Kevin_W

I'm picturing a gazillion people downloading it all at the same time on 11/12 and crashing the system. Because Disney IT...
Nostradamus! A few years ago, Disney bought a streaming company to prepare for this. Supposedly they have done a good job with ESPN+ and others, though. I, personally, think that offering the ability for a free trial on launch day was a mistake.

RMmom

My LG smart tv is too old and doesn't have the app. I am trying to use internet feature on the TV and disneyplus won't load. We have Nintendo switch...but app isn't on there yet. We can only watch on computers and iPads. very disappointed. no one wants to watch on a smaller screen instead of the large tv. will probably cancel subscription after trial bc I can't watch on my tv without getting more equipment.