DME Question

pjbetk

I was hoping to get some help from some of the brilliant minds on this forum.

My family is heading to Disney World in early June. We have been several times (8 times, I think) starting in 1993 and most recently in 2015. This trip will be myself, my husband, and our 12 year old son. My husband and I have 3 older kids who are grown and out of the house (29,27, and 25), we call our 12 year old the surprise caboose to our family. :RpS_biggrin:

We have stayed at several different Disney resorts over the past trips and have used DME multiple times but this trip has some complicating factors that I need help with.

We will be flying and arriving at MCO just after midnight on 6/1. I have booked the hotel that is within the airport and plan to pick up our bags from baggage claim (so not use the DME stickers) and head to our hotel room to get several hours sleep. We will then get up later that morning of 6/1 and want to take DME to Disney's Yacht Club where we will be staying for 5 nights. When we return to MCO on 6/6 we will not be flying out that day but will be renting a car from the airport and driving to Anna Maria Island where we are meeting all our older kids and their significant others for a week in a beach house.

We will then drive the rental car back to MCO at the end of that week and fly home on 6/13.

So....how do I get DME to take us to Yacht Club from the airport on 6/1 when we don't have a flight that corresponds with the time we want picked up. Then....how do I get DME to take us from the Yacht Club to MCO on 6/6 so we can rent a car from the airport when, again, I don't have flight info that corresponds to when we need a ride? I will, of course, just keep our luggage with us both times and stow under the bus but am not sure how to go about making the DME reservations. Do I just give them a flight number that is around the time we need to travel? Any advice would be much appreciated!

hizouse

I'm pretty sure there's no check on your actual airline reservations. I once gave a return flight for a DME reservation that was 30 minutes later than our actual flight to get us an extra 30 minutes in the parks (our family has pre-check; we were still at the gate well over an hour before departure).

I'd probably just call and explain my situation and tell the truth and see if they can accommodate you. And if that doesn't work, then call back later with fake flight numbers.

AngiTN

No problem. This happens every day.
First, you have to pick up your bags. No using ME tags even if you wanted to. They stop bag service at 10:00 PM
Second, you are automatically allotted a trip to and from Disney on the day of your check in and day of your check out. It doesn't matter how or when you arrive at the airport. You an arrive via a camel caravan. All that matters is it can't be any day but your check in day.

As to renting a car, why not pick it up at Dolphin?

pjbetk

Thanks so much, AngiTN! Very helpful! I had no idea you could pick up care rentals at Dolphin. See....I knew you all would have great advice. I truly appreciate the help. Thank you all so much.

AngiTN

Thanks so much, AngiTN! Very helpful! I had no idea you could pick up care rentals at Dolphin. See....I knew you all would have great advice. I truly appreciate the help. Thank you all so much.
The nice thing about it is they won’t usually charge a fee to pick up or drop off at the dolphin and then do the opposite at the airport

pjbetk

The nice thing about it is they won’t usually charge a fee to pick up or drop off at the dolphin and then do the opposite at the airport
I wanted to thank you again for this great tip, AngiTN. I was able to reserve a car to pick up at the Dolphin and return to MCO after our beach week. This is absolutely perfect for our trip. Would never have known it was an option had you not shared this with me. Thank you so much!!

AngiTN

So happy it worked out for you.
We rarely rent a car but on our trip this Christmas DH wants to go to Cape so we are getting one when we arrive, going to the Cape for a day and when we move to BWI, dropping it at Dolphin.

For others reading along, they also have a drop off/pick up spot at the Disney Car Care center. If you are staying on property you can even get a ride to/from your Resort to get your car. If you are at an Epcot resort it's typically easier to use Dolphin but elsewhere, check the Car Care Center. I have found in my limited looking for a car that the prices were the same for either location. I've been told that it can vary though, so it may be worth checking both.

I don't know what all companies are represented at these remote locations. I assume the major players, at a minimum.