Does anyone actually live in WH?

tedescokid

So we stayed there earlier this month. I ran around the neighborhood for an hour and only saw people that appeared to be heading to WDW (except one house). My daughter commented that it would be weird to live there because you wouldn't have any friends to play with.

So my ? - Do people actually live there or was it built with the intention of being entirely rental property?

Tonya

Deb

debbierolls
I can't answer about WH, but I can answer about Indian Creek which is close by. There are a few hundred houses there and about 30 of them are permanent residents with the rest being rental houses. When I run in the mornings in Indian Creek, I do see kids walking to the school bus. For us living there 3 months is fine - it's certainly convenient. And if we got anything further away where we may "want" to really live, we know we couldn't rent it out which means we wouldn't have been able to afford it. But if and when we finally make the move to FL full time, I don't think we'll be living at Southbriar. As much as I love living that close to Disney I just don't think it's where I would want to live all the time.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I think Windsor Hills would be a little too expensive for someone to rent by the month for an extended period of time. I live a few miles down the highway. The problem with most of these places is that they were completed at the height of the bubble. The townhouse I'm currently living in sold for about 225k in 2006 and now you could buy it for about 65k. A lot of people thought they could buy them for 225k, rent them out at $150 a night with no problem, they would gain value over the years, and they would have a nice place in Florida to visit whenever they wanted. What ended up happening is that tge builders overbuilt, people took loans they couldn't afford, and ultimately got foreclosed on. That may not be such a problem at Windsor as I'm not that familiar with it.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
The good news about living somewhere like this is that if you don't like someone they will be gone in a few days.

bnoble

he's right
I suspect there are a few. My uncle has a house in Clermont, and they snowbird for 3-4 months each winter. I doubt they will live there year-round---Michigan is a much more pleasant place in the summer. But, eventually I could see them spending more than half the year there.

ohnrn

Yes, there are a few permanent residents in Windsor Hills. A few manage and own vacation homes, while others spend the majority of the winter months in their villas and travel during the hot summer months. I have also seen schoolbuses stop outside the Windsor Hills gate and several children get off and walk through the gates into the resort. I would love to live permanently in Windsor Hills! I met and talked to lots of very nice renters and owners when we were there this year. We spent 6 weeks in a villa rental this year and next year are going back for 8 weeks! It is truely wonderful to be retired. :tea: