Does anyone not even bother with best park days anymore?

kate81

In the past, I've always spent a lot of time playing with park days, moving things around to avoid crowds. Seems like every year, it's less of a concern and all parks are crowded. Is it even worth trying anymore? I'm thinking I'll just do them in the order I'd prefer: MK, EP, HS, break, AK, MK, EP, HS. Gives me a break Sunday since I've always wanted to do the gospel brunch at house of blues. And it allows to to spread parks out rather than having the same park back to back, which has happened in the past.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
I have no idea whether the old advice of going to a park the morning after an evening EMH would still apply, but that's what we do.

kate81

That's what I've always done. But I just don't know if it's worth trying to adjust the whole week around that. I plugged the park order I have listed above into our likely dates for August and we end up with morning EMH on our AK day. Since we have a break the night before and only one AK day, it seems like it might be worth our while to use the EMH. WE haven't done EMH in years, but I think I might try this trip.

tiggr88

prefers quisp over quake
I think it matters far less than it used to. Josh had a post that compared wait times at a park on EMH vs non-EMH day and I think there was little difference and the EMH may have had shorter waits. Disney is trying to match its resources against expected capacity and the result is they may have more ride capacity on an EMH day that makes it the same or better than a non-EMH day. Or not. It seems to be harder to predict, just like the day by day park recommendations that have gone by the wayside. Best bet seems to be "go on a day that Disney expects large crowds but only gets light crowds" :RpS_laugh:

I remember Josh did a relatively recent post about which days are best for each park, but with so much of the year having special events and parties even that may only be somewhat informative as he points out.

I still usually follow the avoid the EMH parks but honestly not sure it matters. Probably the best advice is to plan around events (avoid Epcot weekends for F&W, go to CP when you get a dining package, etc.) and FP+ availability (try to have the parks with the harder to get FP+ you are interested in later in the visit to help getting the FP+). .

bnoble

he's right
I worry more about flow, built around other concerns. I try to mix up the parks I visit in some reasonable way, front-loading our "must-dos" for a trip. That way, if something goes wrong, we can try again later during the week. I used to avoid EMH, but lately I've been using them more often.

If you want to schedule evening entertainment and go at a time of a year that not all parades/fireworks are scheduled nightly, that should probably be the biggest priority for most people. MK, in particular, does seem to be incredibly crowded on fireworks nights, and double that if it's a party season. You have to suffer through it if you want to see the fireworks, but it's too much of a zoo if that's not what you want.

hizouse

Here's Josh's post on days of the week; note the differences are pretty small and that parties and Galaxy's Edge may skew things quite a bit:
https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/does-it-really-matter-which-day-of-the-week-you-visit-each-walt-disney-world-theme-park/

For our trip in fall 2020, the principles we'll use are:
1. Avoid Epcot on Friday and weekend afternoons (and probably mornings) during Food & Wine
2. Go to MK on party days
3. Go to EMH parks if we think we can use EMH and avoid otherwise. We've got a couple small kids, so we won't plan on any parks with night EMH. Probably just 1 or 2 morning EMH.
4. Plan AK for when we think we can get a good FOP FP+ and DHS for when we can get a good RotR (or, if still using boarding groups, SDD) FP+, so later in the week. Probably will do DHS twice, so the first will probably be the second or third day.
5. Do MK our first day; not because of crowds but because we can plan a good Frontierland/Adventureland/Liberty Square day with available FP+ at 60 days and we will be coming back later in the week (on a party day).

Ken

I know this used to be taboo, but we go to the park with Morning EMH. Then get out of Dodge when the crowds start to build and go somewhere else. We tend to plan two days at each park and always get there at rope drop and are usually heading out right around lunchtime. We'll go back to a park, whether the same or a different one in the afternoon or evening. Mainly to use FP+, have dinner and the nighttime show.

AngiTN

We don't bother with knowing best park days any more.
We go too often now. Doesn't matter to us if we get something done or not.
I will still plan out days so I can book FP but it's just my own preferences. And I'd say more often than not, we change park days when there, FP and all.
I rarely book ADR more than day of so they don't drive where we go at all.

Alcachofa

We go too often now. Doesn't matter to us if we get something done or not.
I don't go often AT ALL, and this is my philosophy. Really, don't sweat it.

I will add about the Josh post mentioned above, talking about how wait times can actually be less on busy days: that specifically is talking about wait times, not crowds. I think he said, for example, you can have longer wait times on party days, because even though the crowds are smaller, the capacity is down. Well, I'll take the smaller crowds anyway.

bnoble

he's right
I'd say more often than not, we change park days when there, FP and all.
I rarely book ADR more than day of so they don't drive where we go at all.
This is me most of the time too. There are usually one or two "keystone" experiences I want to make sure we do on a given trip, and I will plan those in advance. But, most everything else is pretty flexible. In fact, I have gotten to the point that I try not to even make FP for the last few days of a trip more than a day or two in advance. That way I can focus instead on using that time for doing something we decide is important but haven't done, or want to do more of, etc. rather than having a pre-planned notion about what's happening those days.

hizouse

I will add about the Josh post mentioned above, talking about how wait times can actually be less on busy days: that specifically is talking about wait times, not crowds. I think he said, for example, you can have longer wait times on party days, because even though the crowds are smaller, the capacity is down.
The linked post has a chart showing that for October 2018, party days at MK had a much lower (43.7%) average wait time than non-party days. There very well may have been capacity reductions in 2019.

Alcachofa

Oh right. I think the post I'm thinking of was not about party days, but EMH vs non-EMH days. Whatever, either way I would prefer lower crowds.

AngiTN

I don't go often AT ALL, and this is my philosophy. Really, don't sweat it.

I will add about the Josh post mentioned above, talking about how wait times can actually be less on busy days: that specifically is talking about wait times, not crowds. I think he said, for example, you can have longer wait times on party days, because even though the crowds are smaller, the capacity is down. Well, I'll take the smaller crowds anyway.
I've said that for going on 10 years now. Yes, the crowds are huge around Holiday's (all of them) but we find we wait less most of the time. And find it easier to move FP around. If I have to pick (and I do because we work) I pick more hours/more time to ride vs. fewer people with shorter hours of operation/capacity. We always bookend our trips around a Holiday, to make the most of our days with the fewer time off work. So we never get to go when it's "dead" (dead in Disney terms)

nolarookie

I've said that for going on 10 years now. Yes, the crowds are huge around Holiday's (all of them) but we find we wait less most of the time. And find it easier to move FP around. If I have to pick (and I do because we work) I pick more hours/more time to ride vs. fewer people with shorter hours of operation/capacity. We always bookend our trips around a Holiday, to make the most of our days with the fewer time off work. So we never get to go when it's "dead" (dead in Disney terms)
We do this too. If it’s busy, we’re there. The alternative is no vacation. We’ve had great success with wait times by just having a plan and refreshing.