DVC - Recouping The Cost - An Individual Accounting

DVCs in 2 groups is one reason we've decided to wait, to see which is a better fit. An other is the increase from 25 to 75 to 100 points needed to get Direct benefits alongside pumped up resale costs. Not much savings over other types of WDW trips like renting points or Free Food offers, etc. And there are meaningful perks, I see them too. It's a fun club and I'd love seeing how happy it makes my hubby :D

The biggest reason is with a child off to college next year, we're focusing on debt free as possible. If his education expenses stay under control and DVC releases something enticing, then we're in. Probably 2021. Right now too many uncomfortable variables but if a good deal surfaces in the next 2 years, we're 100% prepared to drink the kool aid.

Micah008

Staff member
If we did own DVC, direct or resale - can we get AP's that are no longer available? aka the $600 ones instead of the $1100 ones :/ We're going to 14 days so I was all ready to get passes this year and then they took them away :(
Not completely sure what you mean by "took them away" and "no longer available", but I am guessing you are talking about the Gold AP based on the "$600" number... I will try better clarify what discounts on APs are available for DVC:

The important thing to keep in mind is that you must be eligible for 'Membership Extras' to get discounts on APs, Dining, and other special benefits/perks through DVC. As of a few weeks ago you must buy 100 points direct to be eligible (was previously 75, and 25 before that). Anyone who bought in earlier (like us) is grandfathered in under the rules that existed when they bought in.

Eligible DVC members get a discount on the Platinum ($899) and Platinum Plus ($999) which makes them significantly cheaper than the normal prices of $1119 and $1219.

Eligible DVC members also get the ability to purchase the Gold AP, which is not available to the general public (only DVC and Florida Residents). This is only $699 (previously $609) and does have some blockout dates but they a couple weeks over Christmas and a couple weeks around Easter/Spring Break. For us, this is a big deal, and we have bought this AP multiple times now (we buy APs every other year getting 3 trips out of them, then take a year off).

DVC members are not eligible for any of the other special APs (like Silver, Weekday Select, etc).

So, the thing you would need to determine for yourself is if the deals on APs (and other deals on dining, and other perks) are worth the added cost of buying direct. I have heard many opinions on this... but it really depends on your situation.

TiggerGirl

Thanks Micha....I was referring to the $699 AP. We go in January/February and are buying 10 days at $550 so it would have been a no brainer to buy the $699 one and use it next year as well ....maybe that was never offered to the general public, but I thought it was.

Micah008

Staff member
Thanks Micha....I was referring to the $699 AP. We go in January/February and are buying 10 days at $550 so it would have been a no brainer to buy the $699 one and use it next year as well ....maybe that was never offered to the general public, but I thought it was.
To my knowledge that $699 Gold AP was never offered to the general public, or at least not in recent years. (Go back ~5 years and the Platinum (or whatever it was called then) used to be somewhere around that price though)

TiggerGirl

To my knowledge that $699 Gold AP was never offered to the general public, or at least not in recent years. (Go back ~5 years and the Platinum (or whatever it was called then) used to be somewhere around that price though)
Ok ...I'm not sure what I saw around that price point....maybe I read it somewhere. Thank you for clarifying 😊