DVC Resale

BoSoxGal

Does anyone have any experience with the DVC resale market site? We have points at Poly through Disney and are thinking about adding on. Looks like the pricing is pretty good, but is there a catch??

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Not really any significant catches for you, as a current DVC member. You'll still have access to the overall DVC benefits as a direct owner. You'll have some restrictions on how your resale-purchased points can be used that won't apply to your original contract(s), so you should familiarize yourself with how resold points are treated now.

One major difference is the closing process, with closing costs, the time it takes for title search, and the potential that after waiting for several weeks for the deal to close that Disney swoops in and purchases those points out from under you. You will have lost time, but not any money, in that example. But it can be super frustrating when you've finally found a PERFECT contract and you lose it to ROFR.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Yes, Disney has the Right of First Refusal on any sales transaction. So they have to either approve the resale (from owner to you) or they can purchase the contract from the owner themselves at the same terms. It allows them to buy underpriced in-demand contracts and resell them at direct prices. I *believe* they have 45 days to do this when a contract is submitted to them, so you'll see threads of people on sites like mouseowners.com who are waiting for approval comparing turnaround times and looking at the details of contracts that were recently ROFR'd to ascertain whether theirs might be at risk.

BoSoxGal

Okay that’s good to know! It looks like you can use the points as normal with the DVC resorts, and it’s just cruises, etc. that’s limited. That’s fine for us I think. Our kids are 6.5 and almost 5, so the extra points will help with getting more space. We have 125 points now.

bnoble

he's right
It looks like you can use the points as normal with the DVC resorts
Not quite. Points from the "Original 14" that are bought on the secondary market cannot be used to book Riviera (and, presumably, any future resorts). Likewise, points from Riviera bought on the secondary market can only be used at Riviera, and not any other DVC resorts.

BoSoxGal

I'd strongly suggest it, so you can combine the two different contracts in the system.
Okay good that’s what I’ve been looking for in our search.

The one I’m looking at is 100 pts for $151/pt. One thing that makes me pause is there are no pts for the 2020 and 2021 use years. We’re already booked for December of this year, so we don’t need the points any time soon. The others with points available earlier are a bit higher.
Not quite. Points from the "Original 14" that are bought on the secondary market cannot be used to book Riviera (and, presumably, any future resorts). Likewise, points from Riviera bought on the secondary market can only be used at Riviera, and not any other DVC resorts.
Hmm I didn’t see that about Riviera. I’ll have to add that into the pros and cons list!

hizouse

fwiw, based on a blog post at dvcresalemarket and the disboard threads, Disney had not exercised his ROFR for the Poly in some time but did start doing so recently. But not for more than $140/point, so I think you would be fine.

I have not been looking at these things until recently, so maybe there are better sources of information. We are also looking at a PVB resale purchase; it would be our first.

BoSoxGal

fwiw, based on a blog post at dvcresalemarket and the disboard threads, Disney had not exercised his ROFR for the Poly in some time but did start doing so recently. But not for more than $140/point, so I think you would be fine.

I have not been looking at these things until recently, so maybe there are better sources of information. We are also looking at a PVB resale purchase; it would be our first.
I saw that about Poly, which will hopefully work in our favor. We ended up putting and offer that was accepted. We’re now waiting for ROFR! 🤞🤞

BoSoxGal

Our sale went through! Yay!! We are booked for the week after thanksgiving at Poly with the kids and can’t wait. We also booked two nights for just us (omg!) in October. It’s our first time at Saratoga springs unless we get Poly from the waitlist. Funny we haven’t stayed at our home resort yet in our first four years!