DVC Rooms - Charts with detailed room info

Brandie

Will work for Dole Whips.
SSR THV is a 3 bedroom. Probably doesn't need it's own category, but you might be able to note it in some column.

Micah008

Micah, this is awesome!

I don't think this information, collected in this way can be found anywhere else.
Thanks! Glad you found it useful. I couldn't find the info anywhere else (in a single location) either, so that is why I put it together.

SSR THV is a 3 bedroom. Probably doesn't need it's own category, but you might be able to note it in some column.
Yeah, I wasn't sure what to do with the THV. I knew it is technically a 3 bedroom (which sleeps the same number as the 2BRs), but it doesn't feel like it really fits in with the Grand Villas either despite the extra room. When the Poly Bungalows are done they will probably have the same issue...

I will try to come up with something.

Micah008

I updated Post 1 to make the charts easier to read, added more information about number of bedrooms for the Tree House Villas, and also fixed an error with the sleeper chair in the OKW 2BR.

Strangeite

We are getting into semantics, but I do think they are important.

There is a big difference between a 2BR and a THV and a GV.

If I was traveling with my family and another couple without kids (grandparents, my best friend and his wife, etc.) the treehouse is the perfect solution. I don't like someone sleeping in the living room. Individuals should be able to have their own space and there should be communal space. The two shouldn't mingle.

Maybe it is just me, but I don't consider a 2 BR the same as a THV. It certainly isn't a GV.

Micah008

I agree 100% that it isn't a 2BR and also isn't a GV. But without making a whole new table where it would be by itself... I am not sure the best solution. It now states "3 bedroom" to show that there is a difference. I suppose I could rename that section 2 / 3 Bedroom, but it seems odd either way when it is so different from everything else.

Any thoughts on what you would do beyond what I already have? you really think it deserves its own section?

Strangeite

No. I don't think it deserves its own section but something rubs me wrong with lumping it with the 2BR villas. I feel there are people out there looking for that solution, and it would be lost in the hay stack.

Unfortunately, I don't have a better alternative. Let me sleep on it and see what I come up with.

Strangeite

Wait a minute.

Before I go to bed (and I really should sleep on this) but it occurs to me that most people looking for lodging (especially newbies) aren't as concerned about the number of rooms, but more worried about how many it sleeps. So really the categories shouldn't be "Studio", "1BR", etc, but broke down by the number of people each villa sleeps. Then, the number of actual bedrooms (which would be a separate column) could differentiate between the 2BR and the THV.

Micah008

That is why I put THV with the 2BRs, since they sleep the same number, I could call it "Sleeps 8-10" I suppose... but I wouldn't want to lump together the Studios and 1BRs in the same way, even though they both are "Sleeps 4-5" but they are so different in many other ways.

I need to go to bed too.

Strangeite

... but I wouldn't want to lump together the Studios and 1BRs in the same way, even though they both are "Sleeps 4-5" but they are so different in many other ways.

I need to go to bed too.
You are right. We need to go to bed.

Separating by the number a villa sleeps works well for 2BR and above, but collapses for Studios and 1BRs. I don't even consider Studios and 1BRs, so I didn't even think of that fact.

We need bnoble's help.

Micah008

I think I will just leave it where it is, unless you (or someone else) has a better idea.

My main reasoning is that the charts are really intended for comparison between similar things they are considering. A group of this size is most likely to compare the THV to the 2BRs since they all hold a similar number of people. Same is true if you want to compare the 1BRs to each other to see the differences, etc. It does help to state that the THV are 3 BR (which it now does), but for the purposes of comparison I think they are in a reasonable spot.

By the way, the only reason I didn't do the other locations (Aulani, etc) the same way, is that the most likely comparison you want to make is within that resort since you likely already picked your destination, and now want to decide what room to stay in, or learn more about it.

Good discussion. :RpS_smile:

Micah008

I updated the charts in Post 1 to fix a few issues, and add additional information.

- I added room counts for the different views at Kidani and VB (Inn rooms)
- I corrected an error with the BWV Studios
- I attempted to account for reclassified Jambo rooms that were changed from Savanna to Standard View (this is just an estimate since no one knows for sure, but my best guess is that there were 8 Dedicated Studios and 19 Lockoffs reclassified based on all of the reports out there).

Micah008

I updated Post 1 with the new Polynesian Villas and Bungalows. Let me know if you see any errors with it (a few things were difficult to categorize, since they are unique).

Micah008

I updated Post 1 with some new numbers for Jambo.

After some research from a few different sources I think I have been able to determine exactly which rooms were reclassified from Savanna to Standard View.

Here is the breakdown of the Standard View rooms:

Pool View: (original Standard View)
3 Dedicated Studios
10 Lock-Offs

Reclassified: (formerly Savanna)
11 Dedicated Studios
24 Lock-Offs

Micah008

I updated Post 1 with some new numbers for Aulani.

Confirmed the number of "hotel" rooms that were converted to DVC (8), and updated to include 1 Island View Studio and remove a Island View lockoff (which was done as part of a conversion, but I had missed in my numbers).

Last edited:

Micah008

I updated Post 1 with some new numbers for Saratoga Springs and BoardWalk.

Saratoga Springs now includes both a Standard and Preferred View. All BoardWalk Studios can now officially be booked for 5, and the 2BR for 9 now.

CarolynFH

I'm new to these boards (but not to DVC, having been an owner at BWV since 1997) and must say this is an amazing and very helpful table! Thanks, Micah!

One little tweak you might consider is on the BWV line, changing "Preferred" to "Pool/Garden" or "P/G." Historically, when BWV first opened, the BW view and P/G view rooms were all in the same booking category of Preferred (vs. Standard), and you could request a BW view room but wouldn't know whether you got it or not until you checked in. After a few years (can't remember how long) it was apparent that the demand for BW view was such that DVC made "BW view" and "Pool/Garden view" separate booking categories (but didn't change the points costs). So someone booking on points now reserves either a Standard view, a BW view, or a P/G view.

BUT to further complicate things, I think Disney CRO still uses the old Standard and Preferred booking categories for its cash reservations, so I can see keeping the terminology you have now. Yes, it's me, not you - when someone posts they've reserved a Preferred view at BWV, I wonder whether it's BW or P/G view!

Micah008

Thanks for the input Carolyn.

When first creating this table I actually struggled with this exact topic of what to do with the Garden/Pool rooms. The main reason I did it the way I did is that I am already listing multiple view levels in each line with a / to separate them. So it would end up being Standard/Garden/Pool/BoardWalk on this one line which makes it look like 4 separate room categories, but then would only show 3 numbers since Garden/Pool is really combined.... so I took the easy way out and went with just 'Preferred' which Disney still uses at times too. (If you look at the official point charts they actually still list it this way as "Preferred", but I think it may just be historical since the rest of the website uses the Garden/Pool name.)

The only other simple thing I can think of would be to do something more like "Standard/Garden-Pool/BW" or "GP" or "GardenPool" without using a "/" in there. I'm just not sure if that makes it better or worse... Sorry, thinking and typing at the same time. What do you think?

Micah008

I updated Post 1 with the new Beach Club numbers after refurb. And changed to "Gdn-Pool" for the BWV "Preferred" room category based on the input from Carolyn above.

The Studios at BCV now sleep 5 with a Murphy Bed (which is finally bookable as of today!), the Lock-Off 2BRs now sleep 9 officially with the Morphy Bed too, and also the Dedicated 2BRs now all have 2 Queens rather than just some of them.