DVC unit explorer

i<3riviera

I created a tool that lets you explore the various Walt Disney World DVC units; it's called the DVC unit explorer ...

when discussing it discussing with my partner, they asked what it was for; after explaining it, they responded that I'm only really telling people info they already know (the points on their contract) and other relatively useless information (what obscure villas make up one's fractional ownership interest); I pointed out it was pretty but they were not impressed

nevertheless, I figured fellow DVC addicts might enjoy it

so let me know what you think; I have a few ideas from listing room numbers to spinning 3d models of units but welcome any additional ones

Strangeite

Very well done!!!

I don't know why I am surprised that the treehouses follow in sequential order from the units in SSR proper but I am.

Micah008

Staff member
I like it, well done. I can imagine the work this took to pull all the data together, wow.

I think listing room numbers would make it better for the average DVC owner to see exactly what rooms they technically own a part of, and then it isn't necessarily just "info they already know". For me personally, I had already looked this up on the Orange county website when I bought each contract, so I figured out the room numbers for mine.

Some minor usability things I would consider trying out ...

- I think it may be easier to use if the unit points and condo drawing were below where you select the unit itself. Intuitively I was not expecting anything to change/update above that when I selected different units.

- I really like the section for villas, it may be helpful to say 'unit' and 'total' next to each row to define its meaning.

- Even on a large monitor I see only part of the map unless I scroll down (even with Help off). It might be good to take up more width of the screen rather than height for your data at the top. Not sure the best solution but I found myself in some cases needed to repeatedly scroll up and down to change unit and then view map, which would especially be true on a smaller screen, or if my window wasn't maximized.

i<3riviera

Very well done!!!

I don't know why I am surprised that the treehouses follow in sequential order from the units in SSR proper but I am.
thanks!

for the treehouses I'm thinking it's because they were added-on at the end so they just stuck with the naming convention; the bungalows are in order too but at the beginning of PVB; the cabins are in two tranches for CCV with one weird unit (15) being the two extreme ends of the east side cabins

I like it, well done. I can imagine the work this took to pull all the data together, wow.

I think listing room numbers would make it better for the average DVC owner to see exactly what rooms they technically own a part of, and then it isn't necessarily just "info they already know". For me personally, I had already looked this up on the Orange county website when I bought each contract, so I figured out the room numbers for mine.

Some minor usability things I would consider trying out ...

- I think it may be easier to use if the unit points and condo drawing were below where you select the unit itself. Intuitively I was not expecting anything to change/update above that when I selected different units.

- I really like the section for villas, it may be helpful to say 'unit' and 'total' next to each row to define its meaning.

- Even on a large monitor I see only part of the map unless I scroll down (even with Help off). It might be good to take up more width of the screen rather than height for your data at the top. Not sure the best solution but I found myself in some cases needed to repeatedly scroll up and down to change unit and then view map, which would especially be true on a smaller screen, or if my window wasn't maximized.
great feedback thanks! it's funny, I was struggling with exactly those usability concepts and two of them are related
  • more info below the unit increases the scroll distance between the unit selector and map so I moved stuff up; now I've reorganized the data so it puts the condo drawing link and unit points below and only adds to the scrolling to the map problem on small screens
  • to help with the scrolling to the map problem, I added a small pop-up scroll button to quick scroll to the map (like top of the page quick scrolls you might have seen elsewhere)
  • to keep the villa table from wrapping or being offscreen on small screens for CCV (widest table) I had to remove the labels; now I've just re-worked the margins of the table and the labels fit now
  • adding room numbers is definitely near the top of my list; I'm struggling with finding a solid reference for some resorts; I might just walk the resorts when we're there in Sep / Oct, I figure it would be a fun activity with the kids especially since they're still perfecting reading numbers

Micah008

Staff member
Looks great with the updates. I think part of the reason it seemed so bad to me at first was looking at AKV which has a huge list of units, and my window was not maximized and on a secondary monitor.

The only other minor thing I can think of is the colors used for the resorts and units that are not currently selected, they make it pretty hard to read with 2 different lighter grays, maybe change those colors (a little) to get some contrast?

i<3riviera

good call, I've been using that scheme for a while but seeing it again now you're absolutely right, it's a bit hard to read the inactive buttons; I've upped the contrast a bit but kept it so there was still a decent visual difference between active and inactive buttons