Fall break or Thanksgiving break

I had basically decided our next WDW trip would be just after Thanksgiving. We'd travel to Florida sometime during the week of Thanksgiving and spend time with friends, do some beach time, etc before heading to the world on Thanksgiving day give or take a day. We'd then stay through the following week before heading home. I told my husband and he said, "That's great, but why not fall break?" (This is in mid-October, Columbus Day week) The advantage is the kids would miss less school (probably 1-3 days vs. 5) and, of course, we get to go sooner. But I think I'd prefer the weather around Thanksgiving and it works great for my AP plan (we'd be activating our APs this trip and I figure in 2021 we could just take off the week before Thanksgiving instead of after). Plus I really want to see all the Christmas decor and if we went in October, I doubt we'd make it back for Christmastime. Are there any other pros/cons I'm not thinking of? Which would you pick and why?

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
If the weather works better for you and the AP dates do too, Thanksgiving is a no-brainer. Things die down quickly after Thanksgiving weekend. I’d avoid Thanksgiving week the following year. Actually, I’d avoid it both years!

Thanks for your reply.

If it makes any difference, the things I'd most like to avoid are:
1) Rain
2) Cold (I don't know what temps will feel cold with Orlando humidity, though.)
3) Crowds
4) Heat

I'm open to other times of year, as well, I suppose.

Thanks for your reply.

If it makes any difference, the things I'd most like to avoid are:
1) Rain
2) Cold (I don't know what temps will feel cold with Orlando humidity, though.)
3) Crowds
4) Heat

I'm open to other times of year, as well, I suppose.
The average high/low temperatures in mid-October for Orlando are about 85/67, while they are about 76/56 in late November. November is drier (2.17" of rain and 6.3 days with precipitation on average) than October, which averages 3.37" of rain and 8.0 days with precipitation. Thanksgiving would certainly be somewhat less likely to be rainy than mid-October, while it would also be more likely to be cold depending on how cool it needs to be before you consider things to be "cold". I'm not sure about crowds.

nolarookie

Humidity + cold=horrible. It’s just damp and miserable. October is less likely to be cold, but can also be pretty hot. We went the last week of October this year, and it was pretty hot at least one day. That time of year the weather is just really influenced by cold fronts in the south. The weather can fluctuate greatly in a week, and averages don’t really mean anything. I’d consider other factors besides the weather in making this decision.

That being said, I’d go during Thanksgiving for the Christmas decorations and the AP advantage.

Thanks, everyone. As hard as it is for me to wait until November, I think we'll probably do that. Sounds like the weather will be a bit of a ? either way. And if we decide we hate that time of year, we can always do October in 2021.

capeokw56

We are going this November starting the day before Thanksgiving. Our daughter works for a school system so we are tied to the school calendar for our family trips. My advice would be to pack clothing for every weather condition, especially in case it gets cold. I'd suggest something with Primaloft (LL Bean), it packs easily and is very warm. Many years ago we went after Thanksgiving and had cold temps all week. When we were driving to the airport to fly home it was 28 degrees! It was actually warmer at home than in Florida.

tiggr88

prefers quisp over quake
If you go in November this year can you go over October break next year instead of the week before thanksgiving? That way you could do both. October would have F&W and Halloween. Not sure if you would find either a plus or minus but something else to consider.