FASTPASS Enforcement Is Going Real Well /Sarcasm

josh

Administrator
Staff member
It's hard to say what the "norm" will end up being.

I think it may have something to do with the number of cast members that staff the entrances at any given attraction and whether or not the standby/FASTPASS entrances are next to each other. At a ride like Tower of Terror, there are usually three cast members at the entrance because the standby/FASTPASS return lines are right next to each other and Disney staffs both. There is usually a third cast member hanging out as well. Same with Soarin' where standby and FASTPASS return are side by side. At an attraction like Splash Mountain, the FASTPASS return line is a considerable distance away from the standby line. So if the FASTPASS cast member at Splash Mountain is having an "issue," there is no one else to take over looking at other people's FASTPASSes. The same is true at Space Mountain where the FASTPASS return entrance is off to the right from the standby entrance and cast members wouldn't be able to easily take over if there's a problem with one person in the line.

That seems like the most reasonable explanation for why we would be seeing longer lines at some attractions and not others.

Meeska Mooska

josh's mathematician and no expiration upgrade exp
What will the policy be if a ride goes down during your FP window and reopens after the window expires? Will they honor the late ones then? Will they issue you new ones or will you just have to hit the machines to get one? Also, will you have to stay by the ride and wait it out to get to use that FP or will you be able to leave and come back later to use it? Personally I'd just leave and bag it or see if the return time for new FP's was within the time I wanted to be in the park, but I was curious how they'll handle rides that were down.
We were in AK last week (Thursday March 8th). It was our first day in a park since FP enforcement, and we had a FP for EE. We ran from discovery island to get to EE 5 minutes before it expired (too bad, kids wanted to stop for ice cream but I had to say no because our FP was going to expire!). In any case, EE was down when we got there, so we were told that we could use our FP anytime that day. I was thrilled, because that worked much better with our plans, and we were able to catch the Nemo show instead. We pulled another FP, and rode twice in a row when the new FP came up after Nemo. Oh, and we got our ice cream :)

bnoble

he's right
That seems like the most reasonable explanation for why we would be seeing longer lines at some attractions and not others.
Except that it doesn't hold with your observations. If that were "the problem", you should be seeing it at Space too, which is also separate, but you are not.

My money is on "something random and unusual happened, and we'll never really know why."

At the Tower of Terror there was a cast member pretending to take luggage up and down FP line... in character of course. Occassionally he would check people's FPs. I think people were going under the ropes (jumping into the FP line) and the cast member asked a couple of boys to see theirs and they didn't have any. He walked the boys back down the FP line (in character with luggage in his hands) and explained to us the boys were trying to check-in too early. It was great!! In fact, the CM was applauded! :clap2:

bnoble

he's right
Space sees larger backups than most other attractions.
This was more or less the exception rather than the norm. It wasn't too bad at Soarin, Test Track, Space Mountain, or most of the other attractions I walked by.
Make up your mind. Also, the plural of anecdote is not data.

You know how even the smallest report of an isolated incident becomes "fact" in the Wildfire Rumor-mongering that is the online Disneyana community. Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem! ;)

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I'm doing seven different things right now. I guess I'll add standing outside Splash and Space Mountains to watch the FASTPASS line can be added to my list of future activities.

Here is Peter Pan's Flight on the same day:

That's the FASTPASS return line stretching outside of Peter Pan's Flight and all the way back to the FASTPASS machines. The line then zigzags around inside. It also doubles as the wheelchair/disabled entrance now though so you've got GAC people and whatnot as well in that line. The posted standby was 70 minutes.

Winnie the Pooh a couple minutes later:

Winnie the Pooh fills up the entire FASTPASS return line, but there isn't anyone waiting outside of it to show their FASTPASSes. Lines that long were common before enforcement. 80 minute posted wait.

Space Mountain a few minutes later:

Fewer people than in the picture above. 110 minute posted wait.

Buzz Lightyear is a little more difficult to tell with the people in the way:

There was one person having a "discussion" with the cast member over using the FASTPASS, causing a backup of about 20 people outside.

Doopy

I wonder if Splash went down for a short time, or the standby line got so long that they let more people through and held the FP line a little longer than normal?

We've seen stuff like this when tour groups pack the FP line - it gets backed up really quickly, then seems to filter back to normal.

I wonder if all us folks who used to collect a ton of FP and then use only some of them are now actually using everything they collect?

So many questions, so few answers!
That's us. We always get fast passes and think we'll use them when we come back to the park after dinner, but then we don't go back or we go to a different park. However, if our window was open and we knew we couldn't use it later in the day, we would probably go use it while we were in the park. Does that make any sense? What came to my mind is that there are less unused fastpasses.

tukogirl

That's us. We always get fast passes and think we'll use them when we come back to the park after dinner, but then we don't go back or we go to a different park. However, if our window was open and we knew we couldn't use it later in the day, we would probably go use it while we were in the park. Does that make any sense? What came to my mind is that there are less unused fastpasses.
I think you are right. I also think the line increase may be because the people who would wait until later in the day are now making sure they get to the line on time. That may be forcing more people into the fastpass line and backing up the regular queue in the middle of the day. Under the old system a portion of fastpasses supposed to be redeemed per hour were used later in the day when overall crowds were lower, so the 'extras' were absorbed better into fastpass and general queue lines.

Jenny

selling josh for fastpasses
Also, when we would go back and the FP return line was crazy long for some reason, we'd move to something else and come back later. With FP enforcement, that's not an option. So, the crazy long line doesn't get any chance to disperse, because more people keep getting into it.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Via @Attractions on Twitter:

"Wow! This is the end of the Fastpass line for Splash Mountain: 100 min. wait for the regular line."

More anecdotes.

RoonieRoo

will take any rain...even if its men.
That is nuts! I haven't been during crazy spring break so I don't if this is normal or not. But I'm guessing it isn't for the fastpass line. They have to be distributing more. I just can't see how just the enforcement caused this.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder how long it would take just to get to the front of the line. Like if your window was 1:15pm - 2:15pm and you arrived at 2:10pm, you would think it could be after 2:30pm by the time you actually got up to the front of the line. I wonder what they'll do about a third entrance for whatever "XPass" turns out to be. You certainly wouldn't want to find this line if you were holding a golden ticket.

Crowds are seriously intense right now though. And it is a Saturday.

RoonieRoo

I don't think I would be overly impressed with fastpass if I was a new visitor with that line. But, then again, is most likely shorter than the regular line.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the posted standby is 100 minutes there and 90 in my picture in the first post.

RoonieRoo

I wonder what the fastpass wait time is like when the line goes crazy like that. Sure am glad we get to go the slow times.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
The FASTPASS line isn't actually backed up that far. The wait is to show your FASTPASS to the cast member. Once you get past the cast member, the actual line would be short or nonexistent.