Feedback on spring break trip!

azarine

I'm about to book FP's and would love any and all feedback on our plans :) We are from Wyoming, headed for a spring break trip - DH, me, DD10 and DS7. We were last there in 2015. Trip dates March 20-28.

Split stay - starting at Boardwalk then Grand Floridian, my fave :)

I'm trying to minimize waiting, of course, and walking. And we really want relaxation time on this trip overall, which is why I've planned many free afternoons. We also aren't sure of our kids' stamina for evenings. We may end up doing a lot more than currently planned :)

Day 1 - fly in to MCO at 8 pm, take a Lyft as to get to bed at a reasonable time

Day 2 (Sat 3/21) - Galaxy's Edge - RD at HS (will watch updated info for what time to arrive) - ROR boarding group, then MFSR, explore GE, lunch at Docking Bay 7. Afternoon break at hotel. Then AK for PM because we want to see it both after dark and during day. Do Dinoland when arrive - FP 5 pm Dinosaur, 6 pm Primevil Whirl, 7 pm Navi. Dinner Satu'li Canteen. See Pandora, Tree of Life after dark, head back.

Day 3 (Sun 3/22) - EP - PPO breakfast 8:15 am at Garden Grill. Head to Test Track right after, then Soarin. Try for FP: 9 am Turtle Talk, 10 am Mission Space, 11 am Frozen. Do Nemo ride, Living Seas at some point. Hopefully get lunch ADR at Space 220. Afternoon either WS or hotel break. 5 pm - drop kids off for Captain Hook's Pirate Crew. DH & I have adult time, head to GE, 6 pm ADR at Oga's.

Day 4 (Mon 3/23) - HS - rope drop - do TSM, Aliens, TOT, RnR. Try for FP: 9:30 am Indiana Jones, 10:30 Star Tours, 11:30 SDD. QS lunch. Leave whenever, afternoon break at hotel, light dinner? then SW Dessert Party at night.

Day 5 (Tues 3/24) - move to Grand Floridian. Sleep in, have bags picked up, head to MK around 10. Do Frontierland/Adventureland, try for FP: 10 am BTMR, 11 Pirates, 12 Jungle Cruise. Try for more FP at HM, Splash. 1 pm Skipper Canteen ADR. Do parade at 3 pm. Back to hotel to enjoy GF. Dinner GF Cafe?

Day 6 (Wed 3/25) - AK - we have the FOLK package booked, with 11:35 am Tiffins, 3 pm FOLK show then safari. We also have 5:30 pm Cirque preview tickets - will take a Lyft after our safari, find dinner at DS. So I am thinking arrive 9 ish, FP: 9 am Everest, 10 am Kali (not sure we'll want to ride this though!), 11 am FOP.

Day 7 (Thurs 3/26) - MK - EMM booked for 7:45 am - today will be Fantasyland/Tomorrowland - so we do all the EMM rides, then at park opening head to Barnstormer, Buzz? FP: 9:30 Speedway, 10:30 Space Mtn, 11:30 Astro Orbiter. Eat the EMM breakfast about 9:30. Lunch maybe Casey's Corner? Afternoon break at GF. Dessert party at MK this night.

Day 8 (Fri 3/27) - Our only plan for this day so far is dinner 5:15 pm at Ohana. I don't know what to do with this day! I know I should make FP's but I don't know what else we'll want to do. Probably Galaxy's Edge again as my DH & DS are huge fans. Ideas on what to book?

Day 9 (Sat 3/28) - 8 am flight out of MCO

Thanks in advance for all advice & ideas!

amk3

We're there just a bit after you & doing similar planning!
  • Day 2: Josh has been reporting Smugglers has the longest wait of the day at opening but easy on & off at other headliners except Slinky. We're planning to do about 90 minutes of non-GE rides before we head to Galaxys Edge. You'll love Pandora at night! A later River Journey FP would give you more flexibility for Rise of Resistance. If you get out of HS as planned, you can eat dinner first & then ride. But that way if you get out late you will only be missing Dinosaur (PW is closed). If your kids can handle late night / early morning, the wait for FoP will be around an hour if you get in line 5 minutes prior to closing.
  • Day 4: I think aliens first because of low capacity. (Once nice big change since 2015: no more TSMM dash!)
  • Day 6: Another change since 2015: FoP is bananas. If there are any FP+ remaining by the time your FP window opens they are more likely to be late afternoon / early evening. As I'm typing the earliest FoP FP on March 20 is 3 pm, and the earliest on 3/21 is noon. On the upside, when AK opens, lines are short everywhere except FoP. Josh has written a few posts about how much you can do at AK at opening.
  • Day 7: AO doesn't have FP, and it has a really low capacity so you might want to do Buzz then AO at RD. Barnstormer's waits are tolerable late morning, or you could use a FP.
  • Day 8: You could go back to Epcot. You don't have much Epcot on this trip, and going two days would save you from the Soarin' line on your Epcot day. I also love being in Epcot or MK the final night to end with fireworks. But I'm so excited about GE & getting to ride FoP again I'd say Ride of the Resistance in the morning & FoP at night!

Disneyfan

I agree with Andrea's day 7 advice. In my experience, Buzz tends to be a walk on at RD. The problem with AO is that it has been in my plans for RD, but then the ride does not always open right away. I like to have lunch at Columbia Harbour House. Since your breakfast is at 9:30, your lunch will be also be later, I am assuming. So, it should be less crowded mid afternoon. We like to find a table upstairs. There is a smaller section over the outside walkway. We like to sit by the window and people watch.

azarine

We're there just a bit after you & doing similar planning!
  • Day 2: Josh has been reporting Smugglers has the longest wait of the day at opening but easy on & off at other headliners except Slinky. We're planning to do about 90 minutes of non-GE rides before we head to Galaxys Edge. You'll love Pandora at night! A later River Journey FP would give you more flexibility for Rise of Resistance. If you get out of HS as planned, you can eat dinner first & then ride. But that way if you get out late you will only be missing Dinosaur (PW is closed). If your kids can handle late night / early morning, the wait for FoP will be around an hour if you get in line 5 minutes prior to closing.
  • Day 4: I think aliens first because of low capacity. (Once nice big change since 2015: no more TSMM dash!)
  • Day 6: Another change since 2015: FoP is bananas. If there are any FP+ remaining by the time your FP window opens they are more likely to be late afternoon / early evening. As I'm typing the earliest FoP FP on March 20 is 3 pm, and the earliest on 3/21 is noon. On the upside, when AK opens, lines are short everywhere except FoP. Josh has written a few posts about how much you can do at AK at opening.
  • Day 7: AO doesn't have FP, and it has a really low capacity so you might want to do Buzz then AO at RD. Barnstormer's waits are tolerable late morning, or you could use a FP.
  • Day 8: You could go back to Epcot. You don't have much Epcot on this trip, and going two days would save you from the Soarin' line on your Epcot day. I also love being in Epcot or MK the final night to end with fireworks. But I'm so excited about GE & getting to ride FoP again I'd say Ride of the Resistance in the morning & FoP at night!
Oh my goodness thanks so much for the info. I need to look up what the best time to do Smugglers is. Good idea on moving Navi later. Thanks for all of the other insights. Fingers crossed for good FP's!

azarine

I agree with Andrea's day 7 advice. In my experience, Buzz tends to be a walk on at RD. The problem with AO is that it has been in my plans for RD, but then the ride does not always open right away. I like to have lunch at Columbia Harbour House. Since your breakfast is at 9:30, your lunch will be also be later, I am assuming. So, it should be less crowded mid afternoon. We like to find a table upstairs. There is a smaller section over the outside walkway. We like to sit by the window and people watch.
Good ideas - thank you!

azarine

Would love any more feedback. I actually switched some days around so here's our new plan:

Day 1 - fly in to MCO at 8 pm, take a Lyft as to get to bed at a reasonable time

Day 2 (Sat 3/21) - HS/Galaxy's Edge - RD at HS (will watch updated info for what time to arrive) - ROR boarding group, then MFSR?, explore GE, lunch at Docking Bay 7. FP's: 9 am Tower of Terror, 10 am Muppets, 1 pm Star Tours. Leave when we're tired. Afternoon break at hotel. 5:30 PM ADR at Trattoria al Forno. Explore Boardwalk area.

Day 3 (Sun 3/22) - EP - PPO breakfast 8:15 am at Garden Grill. Head to Test Track right after, then Soarin. Try for FP: 9 am Turtle Talk, 10 am Mission Space, 11 am Frozen. Do Nemo ride, Living Seas at some point. Hopefully get lunch ADR at Space 220. Afternoon either WS or hotel break. 5 pm - drop kids off for Captain Hook's Pirate Crew. DH & I have adult time, head to GE, 6 pm ADR at Oga's.

Day 4 (Mon 3/23) - HS - rope drop - do TSM, Aliens, TOT, RnR. Try for FP: 9: am Indiana Jones, 10 am Star Tours, 11 SDD. QS lunch. Leave whenever, afternoon break at hotel, light dinner? then SW Dessert Party at night.

Day 5 (Tues 3/24) - move to Grand Floridian. Sleep in, have bags picked up, head to MK around 10. Do Frontierland/Adventureland, try for FP: 10 am BTMR, 11 Pirates, 12 Jungle Cruise. Try for more FP at HM, Splash. 1 pm Skipper Canteen ADR. Do parade at 3 pm. Back to hotel to enjoy GF. 6 pm ADR GF Cafe

Day 6 (Wed 3/25) - AK - we have the FOLK package booked, with 11:35 am Tiffins, 3 pm FOLK show then safari. We also have 5:30 pm Cirque preview tickets - will take a Lyft after our safari, find dinner at DS. So I am thinking arrive 9 ish, FP: 9 Primevil Whirl, 10 am Everest, 11 am FOP.

Day 7 (Thurs 3/26) - MK - EMM booked for 7:45 am - today will be Fantasyland/Tomorrowland - so we do all the EMM rides, then at park opening, Buzz? FP: 9:30 Barnstormer, 10:30 Speedway, 11:30 Space Mtn. Eat the EMM breakfast about 9:30. Lunch maybe Casey's Corner? Afternoon break at GF. Dessert party at MK this night.

Day 8 (Fri 3/27) - 8:50 am ADR at Kona Cafe. Unscheduled - go to park or Disney Springs. AK for after dark - FP's: 5 pm Everest, 6 pm Safari, 7 pm Navi. Dinner Satu'li Canteen. See Pandora, Tree of Life after dark, head back.

Day 9 (Sat 3/28) - 8 am flight out of MCO