First Look: AVATAR to Come to Life at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

M

Merida

I can't wait to see how the floating mountains turn out.

Last edited:

JulieC

This is going to kill the late arrival, tour in reverse strategy. But it sounds interesting. I suppose I should watch the movie sometime.

minnie'syoohoo

I really didn't like the movie but I'm not a Harry Potter fan and I would go to that area at US and enjoy it.

That said, I still think Avatarland is a terrible idea for Disney. Really, really terrible. Where a Star Wars land makes perfect sense to me, an Avatarland makes zero. Have they started building it yet? Until then I suppose I can hope they change their minds and come up with something better...

bnoble

he's right
It's not either-or when it comes to the Pandoraverse and Star Wars.

I've been optimistic about the Pandoraverse since it was announced. Not because the movie was a great story---it wasn't. (Then again, it was just Pocahontas In Space, so I guess it can't be that bad...) But, the physical setting, flora, and fauna are stunning and provide a bunch of different jumping off points. If they end up executing anything even close to the concept art, this will be an incredible example of immersive spaces and physical storytelling.

minnie'syoohoo

Sorry, I didn't mean that it was a choice between Star Wars and Avatar for the same space, just that a Stars Wars land makes sense to me from all angles while an Avatar land makes no sense to me, not even from a money-making standpoint. Yes, I know the movie made more money than anything ever, but I just don't see Avatar as being in the same league as Star Wars or Harry Potter when it comes to drawing in guests. Not even close. But I'm probably wrong. I'm sure Disney knows what it's doing. (uh huh)

It's too bad they couldn't do something with Lord of the Rings; that would be a land I could really get excited for.

JenniferD

How long ago was the Avatar movie released? It seems kind of a long time coming....or are there more movies to be released? I also didn't ever see the movie and don't really care about it either way. I always thought maybe a Sea World type thing would be a nice addition to AK.

pfalcioni

does anybody know how to change this?
Yes, I know the movie made more money than anything ever, but I just don't see Avatar as being in the same league as Star Wars or Harry Potter when it comes to drawing in guests. Not even close. But I'm probably wrong. I'm sure Disney knows what it's doing. (uh huh)
I agree completely. Star Wars and Harry Potter have a full generation (or more) of fans who have followed their storylines through multiple books and movies, same with Lord of the Rings. Their mythology is well developed, strongly entrenched, and understood not only by fans but a decent portion of the general public. Avatar has ONE movie. Granted, it was a gorgeous movie about a world I would like to get to know better, AND it has the added plus of a storyline that goes well with the Animal Kingdom set of eco-values. Still, it's just one movie that currently has a very minor following with a few fanfiction stories. Heck, Avatar the last Airbender has a stronger following!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, this was a poor decision on the part of Disney execs. But at this point there's no turning back. I have a feeling that once you sign on the dotted line with James Cameron, whatever the project is will grind its way through any problems and eventually come out as a finished product, no matter how much time it takes.

bnoble

he's right
See, this is the thing---as far as I can tell, the movie (as in, the plot) is totally irrelevant. In fact, I suspect you won't see anything that looks like the Avatar "story" in the new land beyond e.g. "flying on the back of some interesting creature."

What matters is the visual and kinetic world that served as the backdrop for the story. And, that world is stunning. It's an incredible palette that the Imagineers now have free reign to use to create an immersive environment. And, having seen Cars Land this past February, I'm guessing that if they are given the budget to do it right, it will be a more than worthy addition to AK.

Strangeite

Let's not forget that Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time. James Cameron (who also made the No. 2 highest grossing film of all time) is currently filming Avatar 2, 3 and 4. The release date of Avatar 2 is Christmas 2015 but knowing Cameron you can push that back at least a year.

So, the Avatar area of AK will open at exactly the right time.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Looks cool to me, especially the additions to Animal Kingdom that aren't Avatar related.

Avatar was really neat in 3D at the theaters, but sucks on the television (in my opinion). The pretty basic story is intended to not get in the way of how pretty everything is (in my opinion). That works in 3D IMAX but doesn't necessarily translate to the family room 42" RCA.

pfalcioni

You guys are right, and I guess I'm missing the point. They're not looking for an awesome fantasy storyline, they're looking for a gorgeous world that will translate easily into something that guests will say "wow!" about, even if they don't know it's Pandora. And other than Middle Earth (which is pretty darned gorgeous too), none of the major fantasy/scifi franchises that are currently popular have that jaw-dropping natural beauty.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Still "worried" about merchandise. Cars prints money for Disney. Star Wars prints money. Avatar....

pfalcioni

Still "worried" about merchandise. Cars prints money for Disney. Star Wars prints money. Avatar....
If all else fails, they can just rebrand it as SmurfLand.

M

Merida

I'm sure that they could come up with a way to create your own Avatar based on an image of your own face, similar to what they did/do with the
Star Wars D-Tech Me Experience. Didn't they once try something similar with letting girls being able to have princess figurines made with their own faces on them? (they looked kind of creepy though - maybe they still do them?!)

Edit to add: These were the D-Tech Me Dolls