Fitness Thread

Mr Baloo

Well, since this is my new Disney home away from home, I figured I would start a thread to share and support each other about my/our new fitness trials and tribulations. Hopefully you will want to join me.

I am starting the C25K program, again. Yup, again. That is the Couch to 5 Kilometer run, or atually a jog in 9 weeks or so. I will not take credit or cause issues with posting the ingredients here, but it is a very good way to move from nothing to actually jogging a 5K. You may find that repeating some of the middle/later weeks beneficial like I did. But I like it because someone created a podcast with music, that allows you to just go... no watching your watch to see when you stop and go, it tells you when to jog and when to walk, and has a warmup and cooldown. I used to be a free download.

So do a web search for the C25K program, and podcast and get started with me. :RpS_scared:

Mr Baloo

Week 1 Day 1 (W1D1)

Wow... I am really out of shape. But, at least I have started again.

A quick introduction. Back in 2009, I started the C25K program on April 15th. And by December 20th, I completed a half-marathon, on my way to attempting the full marathon, but, the Saints in the Superbowl, and then Mardi Gras, and then tax season again, I lost focus. Then with the purchase of another CPA firm, extra time was out of the window... so now here I sit, overweight, and out of shape again.

End goal is to run another half marathon.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Best to you with the program.

Something about the idea of running/jogging scares me. It seems to be so tough on the joints. I'd love to do something like is, but I always have an excuse: tought on the joints, I'm too out of shape, it's too hot out, etc. I wish I could just get up and DO IT.

ellie

waiting for a street car
I wonder if it could be modified for use on an elliptical.

Throwing my support behind you Mr. Baloo! I was doing well until I went on vacation in May... just jumpstarted my exercise program again Monday morning.

abfallas

Best of luck! Twelve weeks ago I started a boot camp program - first time ever I stick to a "work out" routine. My goal is to run a Disney half-marathon next year.

Mr Baloo

Not sure about an eliptical modification??? but way to jump back into the fitness fishbowl!!! Hey, that could be the name to this thread... ?!?!?!?!

as far as joints.... I dont jog very fast... I think that is what causes the issues with your knees.... That and doing too much too fast. With proper running form, where you land on your mid-foot your body is aligned to absorb the shock. When you land on your heel, as you would when joggin faster, it is more of a jolt. Try it out, you will see what I mean. That is also the science behind the big barefoot running craze... Shoes have made us poorer runners....

Off the couch and get on out there George!!!!

Hey Ana... I might even be in that half disney with you!!!! Did you look at the Goofy??? that is just crazy.....

Rowan

Ive threatened to start that program several times. Its always a matter of "it's too cold to be outside right now, as soon as it warms up I will start" and then "it's too hot out right now, as soon as the heat spell breaks, I will start" Im looking for something I can stick to as well. Perhaps I can just get up at 5:00am and do it before it gets so blisteringly hot......

hljoyce

Well, since this is my new Disney home away from home, I figured I would start a thread to share and support each other about my/our new fitness trials and tribulations. Hopefully you will want to join me.

I am starting the C25K program, again. Yup, again. That is the Couch to 5 Kilometer run, or atually a jog in 9 weeks or so. I will not take credit or cause issues with posting the ingredients here, but it is a very good way to move from nothing to actually jogging a 5K. You may find that repeating some of the middle/later weeks beneficial like I did. But I like it because someone created a podcast with music, that allows you to just go... no watching your watch to see when you stop and go, it tells you when to jog and when to walk, and has a warmup and cooldown. I used to be a free download.

So do a web search for the C25K program, and podcast and get started with me. :RpS_scared:
I'm in the 5th week of this program. I refuse to ever say that I "enjoy" running (and really, "running" is a gross overstatement for what I'm doing- fast waddling while pumping my arms like I'm running is more accurate :D ) But, I have to admit that this program is working. When I first started I could "run" about 6 seconds before I wanted to die. Last night I did wk 5, day 2 and "ran" for 8 minutes straight. Didn't get that "shoot me now" feeling until about minute 7! I have no grand dreams of marathons. I just want to do one 5K and then keep in shape enough that I could do another if I wanted to. I haven't repeated any weeks so far, but I looked ahead to week 6 and am not sure I'm ready. Think I may have to do week 5 again before I make that jump! We'll see, though. I've started this program 2 other times and this is the furthest I've gotten with it. Starting to think I may actually finish this time!

jilly7896

proud to keep the transportation forum the most ci
I've started the C25K a few times and always end up quitting in the middle! I'm ready to start again and complete it! I would love to run the princess half in Feb!

butchie30d

I like that this thread has started. Two points (1) Maybe Josh could make it a forum (after all there's a car's forum!) (2) In your old home the "fitness" thread really was the RUNNING thread, all about jogging and races, except for a few threads started by a certain Doctor from Texas.

Nikel

I'm in. I'm doing the Princess Half in Feb. I've never run longer than a 5k, and I took a long break from running this spring/summer.

RuthAnn

Congrats, Mr. Baloo for climbing back on the fitness bandwagon! You have an advantage in that you've done it before so you know you can do it again.

George, there is evidence that running may not be hard on your joints. Here's a link to an article that ran in Time magazine a few years back:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html

The Princess is a great goal - I ran it in 2010 with my DD and it was a lot of fun. If that seems to much to think about now (though there is certainly enough time left to train for it), there's the Royal Family 5K that is held on Friday of that weekend. I haven't done that race but I know people who have and loved it. It is run entirely through Epcot.

And for you guys, you can always aim for the Disney Half in January and I know they run a 5K then as well. Not that you couldn't run the Princess.

If you don't like to run, please try to do something! There is more and more evidence that physical fitness is key to enjoying good mental as well as physical health especially as you get older. I was a complete, and I mean complete, couch potato for about 20 years. Getting into shape - notice I didn't say "back into shape," as there was no previous "in shape" to get back to :RpS_laugh: - is one of the best things I ever did for myself and my family.

So Butchie - when are you going to start a weight-training thread? :RpS_tongue:

beachta1

Congrats to all of you starting running!! I ran my first half marathon in May and I know how much hard work goes into it. I started a training schedule in January, but those first few weeks were very cold. I tried doing some inside running but I'd much rather be pounding pavement.

My advice to any of you would be to stick with it, to buy great running shoes, and to watch your diet. I know that I had some lbs to lose and watching what I ate while training made me lose even more!! I promise, as the pounds come off, it becomes much easier to run. Overall I lost 15lbs while training which was great. I finished the race in 2:26 and under 2 and a half hours was my goal. I'm hoping to run the same race in May again!!

Nikel

I'm committing to the half. It does seem a little daunting, but I have 7 months. If it looks like I'll fall short, I'll switch to the goal of walking it. Right now, my goal is just to not get swept and finish. I may up my goal later in the fall. We'll see. I'm planning on a 5K in late Sept, and I'm hoping I can find a late Nov 10K.

I have a decent amount of weight to lose, but, at least for now, I'm trying to ignore that as much as possible. My DH is the type that can lose 5 lbs in a week by little crap like have 1 beer instead of 2 or having smaller portions. Meanwhile, I'm watching every calorie and busting my rear and am lucky to see a 1 lb loss. It gets frustrating. So I'm going to weigh myself on Aug 1 and then have DH hide the scale for the rest of the month.

Kimann

I'm in the 5th week of this program. I refuse to ever say that I "enjoy" running (and really, "running" is a gross overstatement for what I'm doing- fast waddling while pumping my arms like I'm running is more accurate :D ) But, I have to admit that this program is working. When I first started I could "run" about 6 seconds before I wanted to die. Last night I did wk 5, day 2 and "ran" for 8 minutes straight. Didn't get that "shoot me now" feeling until about minute 7!
Hey Heather, I'm on week 4 Day 3. I was astounded that this week I am doing 5 minutes without stopping or dying. I'm feeling much better about next week. The program really does seem to be working.

D

Deleted member 519

End goal is to run another half marathon.
Do you know which one you're planning to do? There's a half in Mandeville in early October. I can send you the link if you're interested.

LizD

Netflix queue currently at 3,912 - all Disney rela
Perhaps I can just get up at 5:00am and do it before it gets so blisteringly hot......
My friend and I run together and when we first started she suggested going at 9:30 p.m. Seriously, I'm usually in my pajamas by 9:30, but she pointed out that the later you go the more chance that NO ONE IS WATCHING YOU! Plus, it is cooler. Maybe you could try going in the evening, it's really not as bad as I thought it would be.

Janine

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i l
Best to you with the program.

Something about the idea of running/jogging scares me. It seems to be so tough on the joints. I'd love to do something like is, but I always have an excuse: tought on the joints, I'm too out of shape, it's too hot out, etc. I wish I could just get up and DO IT.
Awesome book Born to Run, by Christopher McDougall. "Born to Run is an epic adventure that began with one simple question: Why does my foot hurt? In search of an answer, Christopher McDougall sets off to find a tribe of the world’s greatest distance runners and learn their secrets, and in the process shows us that everything we thought we knew about running is wrong". For the most part, running isn't tough on the joints, if you do it right (which we did, until the '70's when companies started telling us we needed souped up running shoes).