Fitness Thread

Nikel

I am beyond excited at how much better I feel than I did the day after the Princess. I was in so much pain and completely miserable. My Princess injuries - 19 total blisters on my feet (12 on right foot, 7 on left) heat rash on both feet and chest, chafing on both arms, and raw bra line. My injuries from yesterday - 1 blister (in a still tender place from the princess) and a toenail I might lose (didn't trim it short enough). I have minor muscles aches. Nothing I'd even call pain. After the princess even putting on pants was torture, let alone walking 2 miles, which I did today.

Just a few big hills yesterday. The one near mile 8 is the infamous one, and it was pure torture. Around mile 11.5 we were passing Children's Hospital, and I was really struggling to breathe thanks to allergies. I seriously considered going in and asking for just a little oxygen.
knoxvillehalfelevation_zpscae19fb0.jpg

The course at the end of the month is pretty flat in comparison, so I'm hoping to knock another 10 mins off my time. Even if I don't PR, 3 half marathons in 2 months is still pretty great. Especially considering I only started running 8.5 months ago. Yesterday I was encouraging someone just as we were passing the 8 mile mark, and I said only 5 more miles to go. It's insane to me to use only and 5 miles in the same sentence. This time last year I couldn't finish 1 minute much less 1 mile.

runDisneygirl

wow, that's way too hilly for me! All I see is pulled hamstring after knee swelling. Yikes. Quite impressive!!

Yep, only 5 miles. Easy peasy. :RpS_wink:

toodles

Well, I have just registered my husband and myself for the January 1/2! My first ever and his second 1/2 marathon. Do they offer discounted park tix and rooms as they do for the TOT 10 miler and Wine and Dine? I know if you stay off site that you have to provide your own transportation to event. Can you walk from Dolphin to race start?

runDisneygirl

No discounted rooms or tickets for the January race. It's the biggie, therefore they'll take every penny.
You cannot walk from Dolphin - or any Epcot resort - to the start. It's because Epcot is closed! So you'll have to take the bus. If you don't mind using a day on your ticket, you can walk back after the race since Epcot will be open at that time. But you have to go through the entrance gate, hence using a day on your ticket.

texhanddoc

won't let you order a nice scotch
Gregg, what do you think about the medical wisdom of the Dopey? I hope they have a lot of medical personnel handy especially for the marathon, because I think they're going to need them. If they had done the Dopey this year, it would have been a nightmare with the weather.
I think its ridiculous. The things people are willing to do for a stupid $5 medal. I dont want to delve too deeply into it because I am sure I would offend some. Suffice it to say, I don't regard racing medals very highly because frankly, I think they speak very little to your overall fitness. Dopey medal to me just means that you were able to maintain a pace that was barely above a casual walk pace for 3 billion miles over a weekend. Nothing more. But im a jaded fitness snob.

runDisneygirl

Well put, Gregg!
I wondered this myself when I did the Goofy last year. Why? Why was I doing such a thing to myself? I never did get an answer. And where are my medals? Hanging on my curtain rod cuz I don't have a fancy place for them. Who sees them? Me. Yeah, yeah, I know. But I'm sure I'll be doing the Dopey in 2015. Because stupid is as stupid does... and I'm pretty stupid.

texhanddoc

The best thing about Disney running is getting together with pals to do something that is very social and kinda fitness-like, sorta. Then, when the race is over, BAM! You're in Disney! Lets go ride rides and eat crap! That is the reason to keep going to Disney runs. Or you could be like many of my other interweb buddies and just run a dozen races a year because.... thats just what you do!

beachta1

Going to register for the half soon! So excited. My second half in Pittsburgh is less than a month away. I finished my second 10 mile run of training on Sunday and I was a little slower then I would have liked, but I finished. I'm hoping to get one more in before the race :) I'm hoping to have a good time so I'm not in a back corral for the half. Some people like it, but I don't like weaving in and out of walkers!

Nikel

Well I worked my rear off to finish without getting swept. Just because I'm slow doesn't mean it's not a big accomplishment for me. It certainly doesn't feel like just over casual walk pace. And really, the fun, social Disney part is what got me started running. I only started to run the Princess Half. I was going to run that one race and maybe stick with shorter runs, if I kept running at all. Now I'm getting ready for my 3rd half marathon, planning on a couple more later in the year, registered for a full in Dec, and seriously considering a tri in 2014. I doubt I'll ever be fast enough to be considered fast, but I'm slowly getting faster. My medals aren't about proving anything to anyone else. They're about proving something to me.

3Caballeros

living life to its fullest
I'm a walker. No, I'm a person who walks. That sounds better.

Anywho.... I am overweight by ______________this much. I'm 44 and a breast cancer survivor. My oncologist and his highly snarky ways tend to motivate me to shed the extra pounds....well, that and the fact I WANT TO LIVE!! :RpS_wink: I walk 30 minutes every day (when I'm doing what I should). I've now begun to add 30 more minutes - 30 in the morning and 30 in the evening. I know the weight would come off much quicker if I were to run. I have never enjoyed running. Even as a young person, I was not that talented at it.
So, I've been reading a little about the C25k. Would you say that is based on the Galloway method ? no ?
I'm thinking that the Princess Half might be the perfect goal for me b/c it's still far enough away that I think I might possibly be able to accomplish it.
What is your advice to someone like me that wants the benefits of running but does not have a lot of confidence (scared!) that I will be successful at it ?

nolarookie

Mitzi, I would say go for it. There's nothing to be scared of. You already have a routine and a good level of fitness. Try doing the Galloway method, or Hal Higdon method. I would recommend that you do a couple of shorter races in your area, a 5K and then a 10K. See if you like them. Then, if your goal is to run a half, sing up for the Princess Half. What an awesome race. I would love to do a Disney half!
It also helps to run with a buddy. I have a standing meeting with a friend to run every Sunday. We run on our own during the week, but it keeps me motivated to run at least twice a week so I can keep up with my friend.

texhanddoc

What is your advice to someone like me that wants the benefits of running but does not have a lot of confidence (scared!) that I will be successful at it ?

My wife always said "I am not a runner" until she actually trained for a race and she realized that running wasnt so bad if you approached it correctly.

I would like to turn the question around on you a little bit. What do you see are the benefits of running? i.e. what do you want to get out of running?

p.s. I agree that finishing a 13.1 mile course is a big accomplishment. Especially the first time. So... for those who do it for the accomplishment, why do you do it again? You did a half or a full, why do another? Why do 3 a year? Not for the accomplishment. You do it for the other reasons I stated.

p.p.s. Mitzi, you spoke about using walk/run as your way of losing weight. You have an hour per day to "work out." That is great and its plenty. No one ever asks the most important question. When considering weight loss, 70-80% of the battle in my humble opinion is DIET! If you had a rock solid diet, and you were working out an hour a day, the weight would melt off. I know no one wants to hear this but.... dum dum dum.... super ultra low carb wins! Less than 40g a day, 20g if you can swing it. Trust me... no one is ever disappointed when done correctly.

Nikel

Hmm, why do I do it again? Sunday morning, at the start line, I was wondering the same thing. As I crossed the finish line, I remembered. I do it makes me feel badass. Maybe accomplishment isn't exactly the same thing, but it's close enough, I think. I do it because I can, and that is still insanely awesome to me.

beachta1

I'm a walker. No, I'm a person who walks. That sounds better.

Anywho.... I am overweight by ______________this much. I'm 44 and a breast cancer survivor. My oncologist and his highly snarky ways tend to motivate me to shed the extra pounds....well, that and the fact I WANT TO LIVE!! :RpS_wink: I walk 30 minutes every day (when I'm doing what I should). I've now begun to add 30 more minutes - 30 in the morning and 30 in the evening. I know the weight would come off much quicker if I were to run. I have never enjoyed running. Even as a young person, I was not that talented at it.
So, I've been reading a little about the C25k. Would you say that is based on the Galloway method ? no ?
I'm thinking that the Princess Half might be the perfect goal for me b/c it's still far enough away that I think I might possibly be able to accomplish it.

I would say start slow, and set small goals. You aren't going to run 5 miles tomorrow, but maybe you can stay running for 5 minutes without stopping. Or you set a goal to walk/run for an hour. Even if you run for 10 minutes total of that hour, you still were running and moving. When I first started, the idea of a mile was really scary. For most people, that first few miles is really scary. But once you get past that, its amazing what your body can do.

I'd recommend being kind to your knees as much as you can if you are ___ pounds overweight. My friend finished the princess this January and she is 40lbs overweight or so. She did some damage to her knees and now she can't run for a few months. She is trying to heal and keep active on the elliptical I'd recommend that, its a way to "run" without as much pressure on your knees.

Either way, keep up the good work and hopefully see you at the starting line in January!!!

runDisneygirl

Funny, the elliptical hurts my knee more than running. It never did before surgery but does now. Oh well, it's still a great cross train workout.

Nicole, I love your answer - it makes you feel badass!!! True, true. When training for a full, it's funny to pick up my kids from school and the other parents chit chat with "what did ya do today?" Expecting mondane answers like grocery shopping and cleaning toilets. And I answer with "ran 18 miles today." The look is priceless.

Anyway, I also love the answer of setting goals, and starting small. I never followed C25K, but what I did 6 years ago was similar. Started with a goal of 1 mile. It took me 20 minutes and I was exhausted. I'll never forget it! But every other day, I'd plug away and before I knew it, I was walk/running a 15 min/mile - perfect for the runDisney minimum. So I'd keep plugging away and adjusting my goals and it just felt awesome.

It becomes a personal challenge. You're not doing it to prove anyone else wrong (or what have you). You're doing it to challenge yourself. Each distance you take on, whether its 2 miles today or maybe 5 tomorrow, you'll try to beat your previous times. 6 years at it, and I'm still beating old times. I did my fastest 5 mile run ever just 2 weeks ago.

Its a slow process, so don't expect results in 2 weeks. Don't even expect anything in 2 months! Although, in 2 months you'll be way better than you were at the beginning, but still not ready for long distances. Take your time, do it right, and enjoy it! If you're not enjoying it, slow down. Baby steps and small goals!! :)

3Caballeros

living life to its fullest
:RpS_smile:
p.p.s. Mitzi, you spoke about using walk/run as your way of losing weight. You have an hour per day to "work out." That is great and its plenty. No one ever asks the most important question. When considering weight loss, 70-80% of the battle in my humble opinion is DIET! If you had a rock solid diet, and you were working out an hour a day, the weight would melt off. I know no one wants to hear this but.... dum dum dum.... super ultra low carb wins! Less than 40g a day, 20g if you can swing it. Trust me... no one is ever disappointed when done correctly.
It's ME, Gregg! Remember me ? I am the one that had that whole thread about the book why we get fat by Taubes more than a year ago. I agree about the low carb method! It worked for me - to a point. It was very hard to stick to. I am more or less doing LOW carb now with no breads, potatoes, rice, pasta, starches and, of course, sweets. BUT, I do eat veggies of all kinds (except corn and peas, or others with starches) where I didn't on the super strict Taubes method. I also enjoy cottage cheese and yogurts now that I didn't back then. I lost 40 with the Taubes but only kept off 22 of it. Now, I want to incorporate a regimen of committed exercise with the low carb.

Thanks for all the input and help !

texhanddoc

Yes, I remember. Just didnt know if you were still trying low carb. Low carb + exercise = low body fat %. I know how hard and frustrating it can be. Low carb is very difficult to maintain because there are so many foods that you just cant touch.

RuthAnn

C25K is not based on Galloway. Though both start out with run/walk intervals, the C25K goal is eventually to get you running continuously for 5K. Many runners who do Galloway never run more than a minute or two without taking a walk break, and they keep this up for the entire race distance, whatever it is. You can look up beginner Galloway plans on the runDisney site if you think you might be interested in those. Good luck!

nolarookie

p.s. I agree that finishing a 13.1 mile course is a big accomplishment. Especially the first time. So... for those who do it for the accomplishment, why do you do it again? You did a half or a full, why do another? Why do 3 a year? Not for the accomplishment. You do it for the other reasons I stated.

I like to keep a long race on the agenda to keep myself motivated to train consistently. Otherwise I'll sloth out on the sofa with wine and ice cream every night, instead of just most nights. :RpS_biggrin: Although, I tend to enjoy shorter races, like 10k. Half marathons, to me, are ... Uncomfortable. But as a mom with a full time job outside the home, squeezing in a daily run is all I'm willing to do, exercise-wise.

I agree diet has a bigger impact on weight loss than exercise, but for me, ultra low cab is just not sustainable, and the weight comes *right* back when you backslide.

texhanddoc

I agree diet has a bigger impact on weight loss than exercise, but for me, ultra low cab is just not sustainable, and the weight comes *right* back when you backslide.
I realize some people dont like ultra low carb. However, with a little planning, its very sustainable. My wife has tons of low carb cookbooks. We have been low carb for 2 years now. Do we cheat? Sure, we cheat for big holidays like thanksgiving and christmas. Once every month or two we might have a "cheat meal" where we have a hamburger or something. Metabolically, there should be no reason why you gain weight faster when coming off a low carb diet unless you were restricting calories at the same time. The beauty of low carb is that there is NO calorie restriction, thus you dont go into any type of starvation mode that down regulates your metabolism. I found that if you could do low carb for 3 weeks, you are home free. Its much easier to sustain then.