Fitness Thread

runDisneygirl

The medals are really the only thing that keeps me motivated. :RpS_wink: I'd like one of each, please! And I'm almost there.

Here's some food for thought - or drink for thought: during mile 26 of the Full, we "run" it through Epcot. (I quote that because I just couldn't run anymore. I walked it.) I walked along with a fellow "runner" who stopped at the UK pub for a pint. That's right - he did his last mile with a beer in hand. He said he trained that way! :RpS_laugh: He didn't fully recommend it, but it was this image in his mind of his last mile through Epcot with a beer-in-hand that got him through training. Just something to think about! -- insert drinking smilie here --

Nikel

The medals are really the only thing that keeps me motivated. :RpS_wink: I'd like one of each, please! And I'm almost there.

Here's some food for thought - or drink for thought: during mile 26 of the Full, we "run" it through Epcot. (I quote that because I just couldn't run anymore. I walked it.) I walked along with a fellow "runner" who stopped at the UK pub for a pint. That's right - he did his last mile with a beer in hand. He said he trained that way! :RpS_laugh: He didn't fully recommend it, but it was this image in his mind of his last mile through Epcot with a beer-in-hand that got him through training. Just something to think about! -- insert drinking smilie here --
That's enough to make me consider doing the full if I survive the half. A pint from Epcot makes it all better. :RpS_thumbsup:

Right now, my motivation is that medal at the end. :RpS_biggrin:

By the time Feb rolls around, all my FB friends are going to be sick of hearing about running. I'm going for accountability here. Every other time I stopped running, and no one ever said anything.

beachta1

I think signing up for the race and then telling everyone you are going to do it absolutely makes you accountable for finishing it!!! People will ask you about training and support you leading up to the race. Once you complete the race, you'll be an inspiration for others to do the same. If I can do it, anyone can do it!

F

fizboBunny

I've been trying to get fit. I was doing good with running/walking. I was up to 2 miles twice a week, plus doing some routines on the Kinect fitness program, but then taekwondo for DS and swimming lessons broke up my routine. At least last week and this week it's mommy and me swim lessons so I'm getting some exercise. I've enjoyed the cool of the pool so much that I bought a swim suit designed for swimming and not for looks and plan to start going to the natatorium and doing laps. It's kinda far from my house, but it's $3 a session, so not bad. If I keep it up I can buy a pass for 15 visits for $20, but you only have 90 days to use it. I'm hoping since it's something I'll look forward to that I will do it more. I love running, sometimes. It was great in the spring, but now it's getting to wear the bugs are just awful (I run on the private road to my house which is surrounded by woods).

eta: my coworker goes to the Red Dress Run every year! He's hoping this year they don't keep everyone in the park until 4pm though.

Bernie2003

I've been running on my treadmill. Haven't been able to get outside much because the heat/humidity this summer is bad and they really trigger my asthma. I'd love to do an organized race of some sort, but with my asthma I've been afraid to. I never know what the weather conditions are going to be, and don't want to end up in trouble. So, my treadmill it is. At least I'm sticking with it and I'm still getting some good cardiovascular benefits at least 4-5 times a week.

casperjj

I started running on my treadmill last summer. By mid August I was up to 10K and proceeded to blow out my hip. Turns out, my butt muscles were too weak to support the work I was putting on my lower body. Go figure! Anyway, months of physio and two great friends on my street that do marathons led to more workouts at the gym. We usually go at 6am for spin three days a week and I try to get to pump two or three times per week as well. I'm much stronger and while I don't run much now in part becauuse of the killer heat but, when I do, the first 7k is pretty easy. The lower body strength gained from the cross training was the key for me. I'm losing my work out partners though. One, the mom of my son and daughters' BFFs, is moving tomorrow. The kids, and our whole family really, are in mourning right now. Their kids have been staying here til they move to the hotel for this evening so I'm expecting a pretty upsetting night when they finally go ... anyway, off topic there.... I'm losing her and our other neighbour broker her ankle last weekend .... I'm hoping I still have the stamina to get to the gym for 6am going on my own but we'll see... keeping my fingers crossed...

F

fizboBunny

Joanne - That really sucks about losing your gym buddies. I hope you are able to keep it up. When my gym buddy moved it helped for us to call each other at set times before going into the gym and would call each other again on the way out. Then I got pregnant and quit the gym. :( My gym buddy moved 3 hours from Disney, she came and spent 2 days with my family on our last vacation. I miss her.

texhanddoc

won't let you order a nice scotch
George.. you should look into CrossFit. I have been doing it for 6 months now. Its been my favorite workout routine, style, etc. of everything I have done, including P90X and Insanity.

casperjj

Joanne - That really sucks about losing your gym buddies. I hope you are able to keep it up. When my gym buddy moved it helped for us to call each other at set times before going into the gym and would call each other again on the way out. Then I got pregnant and quit the gym. :( My gym buddy moved 3 hours from Disney, she came and spent 2 days with my family on our last vacation. I miss her.
Thanks Alicia. That's a great idea about calling. I doubt we'll do it because our prime gym time is 6am... and well with the time difference, that would have someone's phone ringing at 5am in the morning! :) Good idea though. She gave me a fitness challenge for while they're away so that's my inducement to go right now (gotta realize, I'm the newbie and she's been working out most of her life). I'm lucky. They're moving back for good in 2-4 years. Just renting their house (military). Not making it very easy on the kids right now though. Three years is a long time when you're 6 and 9. Thankfully I have lots of airline points to use up...

butchie30d

My fitness goals are endurance, strength, and flexibility. I'm not interested in running, cycling is too weather-dependent (and besides, my bike is up at my weekend house in WI), and treadmills are at the gym and bore me blind. What to do?
Crossfit. That and yoga. Or try Tacfit which is a program by Scott Sonnen, a champion martial artist and coach I have taken a seminar with.
http://www.rmaxi.com/tacfit/
Or try a round of P90X and Insanity. P90X will build your strength and flexibility and can be done at home, Insanity will definitely build endurance. Both can be done at home with minimal equipment and in a relatively small space and these days the DVD's are very cheap.

butchie30d

George.. you should look into CrossFit. I have been doing it for 6 months now. Its been my favorite workout routine, style, etc. of everything I have done, including P90X and Insanity.
Doc I answered right before I saw you post this. See how we think alike lol!?

Nikel

I think signing up for the race and then telling everyone you are going to do it absolutely makes you accountable for finishing it!!! People will ask you about training and support you leading up to the race. Once you complete the race, you'll be an inspiration for others to do the same. If I can do it, anyone can do it!
I'm hoping so! I've also talked one friend into doing it with me and have 2 more that are thinking about it. So it's not just my money I'm investing, but not I've got them counting on me too.

Getting out and running this morning was miserable. The humidity is miserable. It felt like I was breathing water. :tsk:

Janine

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i l
Congrats to all of you starting running!! I ran my first half marathon in May and I know how much hard work goes into it. I started a training schedule in January, but those first few weeks were very cold. I tried doing some inside running but I'd much rather be pounding pavement.

My advice to any of you would be to stick with it, to buy great running shoes, and to watch your diet. I know that I had some lbs to lose and watching what I ate while training made me lose even more!! I promise, as the pounds come off, it becomes much easier to run. Overall I lost 15lbs while training which was great. I finished the race in 2:26 and under 2 and a half hours was my goal. I'm hoping to run the same race in May again!!
Wow! That's fast.

nolarookie

Thanks for starting this thread Mr. Baloo. It is very difficult for me to be motivated to run during the week. This actually is helping a lot!

SS Disney

Just the motivation I needed Mr. Baloo. This fellow CPA will start too. Just have to remind myself, every month has a 15 in it. Life must go on.

grumpy1

I looked in the mirror one day in June and didn't like how I looked. Stepped on the scale and said HOLY CRAP 246 pounds. Saw an informercial for Tapout XT and said hey that looks like something I can do.

June 24th I started it . On my 30th day I was down 23 pounds, 7 BMI Points and 3 inches off my waist.

Looking forward to seeing my results in another 58 days.

I have also started walking a mile and jogging a mile 3 days a week.

I went from eating 90% junk food to 90% healthy food. I also cut out my 12 pack a day of diet pepsi and drink water only

RuthAnn

George, I was also going to suggest P90X. Despite the cheesy infomercials, it's a really good program for strength, endurance, and flexibility.

Mr Baloo

Just the motivation I needed Mr. Baloo. This fellow CPA will start too. Just have to remind myself, every month has a 15 in it. Life must go on.
Yup, we either have a deadline or a deadline to prepare for. Throw in 2 kids and it really gets crazy.

W1D2 went great, looking forward to D3 tonight before the Olympic Ceremonies.

hljoyce

I'm heading out to do W5D3 of C25K. And it's not even 9pm yet. The heat finally broke here in MN and it is a very lovely, not humid 80 degrees outside. I'm hoping the cooler weather will help when I get to that first "jog 10 minutes" section. I can do this, right? I mean, I just did 8 min on Wed. 2 more min. is nothing, right? Right? :RpS_wink:

Nikel

I would sell my soul to the devil for the heat to break. I have an ugly, itchy heat rash on my chest. And my BIL is getting married next Sat. I got all excited when the weatherman this morning said our morning temps will be dipping into the high 60s. Of course with 97% humidity, I don't think that's going to help my chest look less diseased.