Fitness Thread

Momofpirates

Hope y'all don't mind a question. We have started a C25K program and are signed up for a 5K during our vacation at the Outer Banks in June. What kind of shoes would you recommend? This race will be run on the beach, at least most of it. We are doing it for fun, no dreams of winning.

thanks!
Steph

Stephalini

Hope y'all don't mind a question. We have started a C25K program and are signed up for a 5K during our vacation at the Outer Banks in June. What kind of shoes would you recommend? This race will be run on the beach, at least most of it. We are doing it for fun, no dreams of winning.

thanks!
Steph
Hi Steph,
I've never run on a beach with sneakers but I'm not sure there is a specific kind for the beach, I could be wrong? Should be a good work out for your legs though. :)

runDisneygirl

What is going on? 98% already for W&D. Nuts.

Sorry, I can't help with advice for shoes running on sand. Generally speaking, I'd say any good running shoe should be just fine for a 5K. If it's a hard packed sand, it could be very similar to running on a gravel trail. If it's loose sand... well... your calves will be sore.

Momofpirates

Thanks girls :)
We are doing a 3-mile obstacle course (www.stormthebeach.org) event a few days before the 5K. My plan right now is see how that goes with running shoes (I can ditch them with our kids if needed), and go from there. I've looked at some pics from last year's event, and it looks like most are wearing running shoes but some are barefoot (obstacle course, not 5K).

demare

If anyone is a CrossFitter, Disney is hosting a CrossFit competition in September. I would be tempted to go if I weren't going for the TOT run the following weekend.

LoriH91

If anyone is a CrossFitter, Disney is hosting a CrossFit competition in September. I would be tempted to go if I weren't going for the TOT run the following weekend.
My husband is a runner AND a crossfitter. He was already talking about doing the TOT. Maybe we can make it a week long trip with both!

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
My physical therapist (for back pain) recommended P90X3 for runners because it incorporates core work, increased hip strength and flexibility that I need. It's similar to P90X in many ways but most importantly is just 30 minutes. I started today with "Accelerator" - it was a HECK of a workout. I needed lots of breaks to make it through - different kinds of planks, some cardio and plyometric moves too.

runDisneygirl

My physical therapist (for back pain) recommended P90X3 for runners because it incorporates core work, increased hip strength and flexibility that I need. It's similar to P90X in many ways but most importantly is just 30 minutes. I started today with "Accelerator" - it was a HECK of a workout. I needed lots of breaks to make it through - different kinds of planks, some cardio and plyometric moves too.
How'd it work for your back? I'm still afraid to do too much.

Momofpirates

I went running with my DH and two sons today for the first time in almost two months (too much snow, ice, and sub-freezing temps for me). I did 1.96 miles in 30 minutes; not great, but it is where I am right now. Today was both boys' first time to go with us, and they did great! DS13 plays soccer and I knew he would be ok; he was a little faster than I was and didn't break a sweat the whole time. DS10 REALLY surprised me. He is small for his age and not really athletic, and he SMOKED me! We were running on a 1/4-mile track, and he was always at least a half lap ahead of me, and he caught up to me and passed me right before we were finished! When we got home, he went outside and rode his bike for another hour.

Hope it's ok for me to jump in and share, no one here would understand!

Steph

runDisneygirl

Wow, that's awesome Steph! Cool for your boys to get out and join you guys. And to do so well too - very cool!
Glad you could get outside and run. I haven't been outside since October. Partially because of my back injury, but even if I wanted to it's too icy right now anyway. Someday our spring will come. (like in June)

DopeyRunr

How'd it work for your back? I'm still afraid to do too much.
He gave me a series of exercises, about 20-30 minutes worth, to do for my specific back issue. They've made a TON of difference, even just in the few days since the appointment. After doing those and the P90X3 I got in a quick 3 miles, and it's hard to describe just how much more "solid" I felt running than I did before. Much less concerned about my back and core. Hopefully my progress continues setback free!

runDisneygirl

That's great! I've been doing some plank work and other various yoga type strengthening things for the core too. Also working on my posture. Being tall has caused me to slouch over the years putting too much stress on my lower back too. So I'm also working on better posture when running - and it's very hard!

RuthAnn

This is probably old news by now, but runDisney has changed its bib pickup policy; you now will have to pick up in person (no authorizing another person), but they will offer same-day pickup for those who can't get to the expo in time. Most commenters think it's to stop bib sales. Not stated in this link but I read on another forum that Disney's stated reason is security. Could be; Boston (Marathon) is adopting this same policy for the first time this year. If Disney isn't self-insured, insurer demands could be another reason.

http://margaritasmilesandmouse.blogspot.com/2014/03/rundisney-changes-bib-pickup-policy.html

demare

This is probably old news by now, but runDisney has changed its bib pickup policy; you now will have to pick up in person (no authorizing another person), but they will offer same-day pickup for those who can't get to the expo in time. Most commenters think it's to stop bib sales. Not stated in this link but I read on another forum that Disney's stated reason is security. Could be; Boston (Marathon) is adopting this same policy for the first time this year. If Disney isn't self-insured, insurer demands could be another reason.

http://margaritasmilesandmouse.blogspot.com/2014/03/rundisney-changes-bib-pickup-policy.html
Hmm...does this apply to children as well? One son will be running the Happy Haunted 5K with me, the other doing the RunDisney kids mile. They will have no interest in the expo, whereas I may want to check it out for a while. I had been told previously that all I needed to do was show up and sign a waiver and they didn't need to be present. They will much more enjoy hanging at the pool.

RuthAnn

The blogpost that I linked to (see post above yours) says that minors running the half will have to pick up their bibs in person but not kids running the other events. But I haven't heard/read anything official yet.

Stephalini

Hello everyone!
Ok, so I said I would update all on my training for the Wine and Dine Half Marathon. Since Mother Nature has decided to be kind this week and raise the temp above freezing I have started my galloway 5k training (baby steps, I start the galloway half marathon training in June). I have registered for my first 5k in early June. I feel pretty good so far and only slight soreness in my hips, and ankles. I had my run evaluated briefly at a shoe store and over pronate slightly, they recommended asics and I already have a pair of relatively new nike's that I use as well. I'm thinking I should be doing some strength or core work outs as well as running (every other day). Does anyone else cross train? if so, what should I be doing?

Here's my second question. I have heard a lot of runners drink coffee before a run or take caffeinated gel shots while they run. I am not a coffee drinker at all. but do occasionally have green tea. Is this something I should consider incorporating before or during longer runs?
Thanks for your help!

DopeyRunr

What 5k did you register for?

I believe there are documented performance benefits among elite athletes who injest certain amounts of caffeine before an event. I'm not sure any of those studies would apply to us mere mortals. :) I have some gels that include caffeine, and for early runs/races when I don't have my typical two cups of coffee I take those so I don't get a headache. Beyond that, and at our level of performance, I don't think there would be any measurable difference.

Stephalini

Thanks, just was wondering if caffeine would help when I start to pitter out on longer runs. For the 5K I think I'll be ok without it.
I am running the OK5K June 7th in Kinderhook. Small town race. I have about 9 weeks to train. Then I shall consider registering for a 10K maybe end of July or early Sept.