Flying for miles

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Frontier, which we've been flying out of PHL more frequently than SWA these days, is offering 10,000 miles for every two flights flown from 8/4-12/31 (book by 8/30).

Does anyone know of a break even calculator for these offers? I found $15 one way flights from and back to PHL on the same day, with a 4-5 hour window between flights. Other than my time (and it's a Saturday flight, so I have an evening to waste) should any other cost be factored in? I can get dropped off and picked up at the airport, so we'd have no parking cost.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
So expense of $30 RT (assuming that includes all taxes and fees) and value of $110 in Frontier credit, netting out as $80 of frontier credit, or about $10/hour. Doesn’t seem worth it to me, especially factoring in the non-zero chance of flight cancellation by Frontier leading to being stranded for a day or two, and the increased chance of exposure to COVID in airplanes and airports.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
So expense of $30 RT (assuming that includes all taxes and fees) and value of $110 in Frontier credit, netting out as $80 of frontier credit, or about $10/hour. Doesn’t seem worth it to me, especially factoring in the non-zero chance of flight cancellation by Frontier leading to being stranded for a day or two, and the increased chance of exposure to COVID in airplanes and airports.

I was thinking about these.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
It ain’t rational but this type of thing speaks to me for some reason.

Would it be the best use of my time? No. Would I consider doing this? Yes.
I would consider a deal like this only if it were the last 10,000 miles I needed for elite status (A-List, Companion Pass, Mosaic, etc.) and I planned on a lot of flying in the year ahead.

Otherwise, I’ll happily pay any of you $10/hour to do some yard work I’ve been putting off. Hell, I’ll double it, and pay cash, not miles.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
DH often did “mileage runs” towards the end of the year when he traveled more for work. He’d take a Chicago-Philly trip and (and a Sunday) and route it Chicago-DC-LA-Newark-Philly. And he’d get upgrades on all those legs because he had status.

Micah008

Staff member
I would only consider it if there was a larger gap between the 2 flights and I was able to do some sightseeing or something worth the time visiting the other city. ... and only if we weren't in a pandemic. Then my time would be more "worth it" to me.

I have never done a "mileage run" since we earn most of our miles through credit card signup offers (or usage). But I did once do something similar to get a bunch of free points with a hotel promotion. We were 2 nights short of earning it after some work travel I had done, so for one of them we stayed ~10 minutes from home and just let the kids use the pool. To get the other I booked the cheapest room I could find along a route we were already travelling to visit family, stopped at the hotel checked into the room, and then continued on our trip. They billed us for the room we never even set foot in, and I earned the promo worth way more than those 2 nights cost me.

George

I would only consider it if there was a larger gap between the 2 flights and I was able to do some sightseeing or something worth the time visiting the other city. ... and only if we weren't in a pandemic. Then my time would be more "worth it" to me.

I have never done a "mileage run" since we earn most of our miles through credit card signup offers (or usage). But I did once do something similar to get a bunch of free points with a hotel promotion. We were 2 nights short of earning it after some work travel I had done, so for one of them we stayed ~10 minutes from home and just let the kids use the pool. To get the other I booked the cheapest room I could find along a route we were already travelling to visit family, stopped at the hotel checked into the room, and then continued on our trip. They billed us for the room we never even set foot in, and I earned the promo worth way more than those 2 nights cost me.
Miles earned from sign-up bonuses and purchases don’t count towards elite status, which was his goal.

He’s done the phantom hotel room thing too, to keep status. That one’s easy, as you can book the absolute cheapest room anywhere in the chain, and check in online, as you won’t have to physically be there.

Micah008

Staff member
Miles earned from sign-up bonuses and purchases don’t count towards elite status, which was his goal.

He’s done the phantom hotel room thing too, to keep status. That one’s easy, as you can book the absolute cheapest room anywhere in the chain, and check in online, as you won’t have to physically be there.
Sorry, I should have been more clear that my first sentence was answering the OP, not referring to your DH's mileage runs (I can see that situation for sure).

When I did the phantom hotel (should it be "pillow run"?) it was ~10 years ago before online checkin was as common, so I had to actually go there... at least we were driving to Cincinnati so I had a lot of options along the way to find something cheap (ended up being just outside Indianapolis)

George

Sorry, I should have been more clear that my first sentence was answering the OP, not referring to your DH's mileage runs (I can see that situation for sure).

When I did the phantom hotel (should it be "pillow run"?) it was ~10 years ago before online checkin was as common, so I had to actually go there... at least we were driving to Cincinnati so I had a lot of options along the way to find something cheap (ended up being just outside Indianapolis)
We used to have to do that too, pre-online check-in days. Fortunately many chains are represented in multiple locations in Chicagoland.