Frontier or Spirit?

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Had Big Front Seats on a red eye Vegas to Michigan. Never again. Never again to both.

"really not that bad." LOLOLOLOL

Feel like I'm living on the edge not booking early bird on Southwest.
What was wrong with the seat?

J&J's Dad

I found the seat all-around uncomfortable. A lot of it had to do with the angle of the headrest and my height.
That sounds more like an anomaly. The issues with Frontier and Spirit are by & large service / flight issues, not actual chair issues. Not that I fly Spirit often but NEVER had problem with the seat itself. It's not much differentthan United Domestic first/business seat (just no separation from coach). Ifyour height was an issue I’d imagine it’s generally an issue regardless. (I’mshort so this is one area I’m FINALLY at an advantage J )

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I found the seat all-around uncomfortable. A lot of it had to do with the angle of the headrest and my height.
That sounds more like an anomaly. The issues with Frontier and Spirit are by & large service / flight issues, not actual chair issues. Not that I fly Spirit often but NEVER had problem with the seat itself. It's not much differentthan United Domestic first/business seat (just no separation from coach). Ifyour height was an issue I’d imagine it’s generally an issue regardless. (I’mshort so this is one area I’m FINALLY at an advantage J )
I suspect any seat would prove to be an issue, given passenger height.

J&J's Dad

JetBlu can get pricey. They're cramping our fare budget for Sun Dec 15 right now. This is how we're playing it:

Trip: Tues Dec 10 - Sun Dec 15. We prefer EWR or HPN for convenience. Have been lightly watching fares since July.

At first the 10p flight home Sunday was $70, sweet! Tues was $110-120 tho, we figured that would come down.
Now Tues show some $60-70 but Sunday's a beast Dec 15 out of MCO, between $170-270 one way *grumble* FESTIVUS! *shakes fist*

We get serious 90 to 21 days before our trip because that's when we usually catch great fares. JetBlu runs a 2 day sale around Sept, and Columbus Day has sales too (Black Friday as well but our dates may be too close then to be included).

Our window for 90 days out has just begun. These prices are high! Oh nooo :eek: $250rt each when we usually find $150-180, even Easter was only $210. But we're not ready to despair. Waiting for the 2day sale email alert and if that fails, Columbus Day. If nothing else by mid-Nov, we'll settle for around $200.

We like JetBlu because they allow a bunch of free luggage on the plane. Each one of us can have a carry-on, large camera backpack and a smaller bag too. We usually don't need to bring a check-in size luggage but when we do, we just pay the one charge of $50.

JetBlu has delayed us an hour or two, still not a deal breaker. And we've never gotten stranded... yet. Happy Fare Hunting! :D

*Fares I've listed included taxes/fees.
Have you considered Frontier out of Trenton? It what we justdid in August for the first time. A number of my wife’s colleagues recommendedand as said above, ended up being much less.
Frontier is the only airline at the airport (it’s otherwiseprivate). Only a few flights total each day. Their terminal only really holdsenough for 1 plane so they spread out the flights. Security is insanely quick.
The ride from West Milford, depending on where in town youare, is probably about 80 miles or so, but consider this: the flight to MCO wasat ~3:30PM. The traffic is light midday. So it’s a really comfy ride.
Parking is $8/day (uncovered) and the lot is right across.(Google Map it on Satellite view to see). The only issue that would cause delay is weather, which would affect anyairline. Obviously, if a blizzard comes and they cancel the flight, findingnext option is tough but you just need to be vigilant the days before. Maybethe insurance is worth it.
The catch: The flight home was at 7:45AM. But again, there are pros. At least insummer, Orlando is reliable for the early afternoon T-Storm. Thus MCO flightsoften hit delays after noon. With a flight so early, you mitigate that issue.
There are indeed fees for everything (check-in, carryon,etc). We did the bundles and it was still cheaper, but keep in mind flightshome everywhere else, including Jet Blue, were at least $275 just for the oneway!
It’s buyer beware for sure, but don’t be afraid to costcompare. They sometimes offer kids fly free of $21 (one way) fares even to MCO.You never know…

Erika

We did Spirit this summer...5 of us for a Baseball trip to Myrtle beach. No delays, no probs at all...and while DEF not first class, The big front seats were fine...Idk if I wouldve wanted to be in the reg seats tho...
We are planning Spirit for our NOV trip too. 6 people and a 16 hour drive....we can keep our fingers crossed for no delay

HeyHeather

Have you considered Frontier out of Trenton?
Thank you, that info definitely help for considering the value. I only know 1 friend (with 4 kids) who uses that airport and she loves it. That's big savings buying 6 tickets! The price and parking sounds attractive. Newark & HPN are under an hour drive but parking has been an issue at both for various reasons. I get worried that if our flight has trouble we won't have many options to correct it.

This may be a good fit after my son leaves for college and we have more flexibility to find a cheap adult get-away to WDW :D Thanks for helping!

• These times are fine, but $227... without carry-on :( I'll keep checking, hoping somebody comes in under $200 :)

Tue, Dec 10 1:29 PM – 4:27 PM

Sun, Dec 15 7:35 PM – 10:23 PM

Last edited:

3girls1pup

Frontier sent me a message that our flight times had changed and we needed to approve the change. When I went to look at the new times, I realized they pushed our departure time out by a FULL DAY. I laughed out loud. Then I proceeded to call them and get a full refund and a $100 credit for each flight.

Fortunately I only booked one-ways, so I was able to find flights on Delta that worked. But, oh my....what a pain!

All about me

We, as in myself, my family and my friends, have been flying Spirit for years and rarely had a problem that wasn't created by bad weather. Yes, flight times have been changed but we were notified way in advance and, if it too late or too early, we have just changed our flights at no added cost. And their $9 Fare Club saved me more than two grand between 2015 and 2018, including one trip in 2016 made up of myself and two grandchildren that saved me over five hundred dollars in of itself.

Are there zero amenities, yes.
Are the seats narrow and the leg room the bare minimum, yes.
Do they nickel and dine you to death, yes.

Do I recommend it? It depends on your priorities. I want cheap airfare and reliable flights. If those are your priorities, then yes, I recommend it.

But if you require more space due to back, leg ect issues or have money to throw away on travel expenses, I would not fly Spirit. In that case, you might want to look at Delta. I recently used them for a trip to Kansas City and was very pleased.

As for Frontier, I have never flown them but a close family member did (Detroit to Tampa) and had a positive experience and my friend's son did (Detroit to Philadelphia) and had a horrible experience.