Game of Thrones

KtMcObs

Ive read 3 of the books. My husband started watching "this really great series on HBO" that turned out to be the books I had read. It was unfortunate for both of us because its something in "common" but nothing we could talk about (in case I spoiled it). Ive watched a few. The first season and some of the second while I was on maternity leave.

I will say, however, that they do a great job patterning the episodes after the books. In fact some of the dialog is exact. It seems to move slowly and I found it hard to keep up with who was who and I read the books!! Last nights episode did seem to go slow, but I know what comes next so maybe thats why?
Same boat in my house! If my husband gets impatient with a storyline or doesn't understand what's happening he looks to me for an answer and I just say "wait and see!"

I was really nervous at the start of season 1 that they would start to veer from the book and so pleased when it didn't. Then I was even more apprehensive with the start of the second season that it may happen then, much like what HBO did with True Blood and barely resembling any story lines from the book at all. Here's to keeping GoT​ pure!!

clanmcculloch

expert on dietary needs and disney dining
So I should or shouldn't read the Sookie Stackhouse books if I watch True Blood? I haven't read those books either but I was considering putting myself on the library's waiting list.

KtMcObs

The show detracts more and more each season. I found the books really enjoyable, quick easy reads. But if you are a big fan of the show, you may have a hard time reading some of the later books. There are characters in the books that are killed off in the first and second volumes that are thriving and have a whole other thing still going on in the show (what are we on, the 5th or 6th season?)

Read the books for pure enjoyment sake without expecting it to follow along the story lines you would recognize from the show. I enjoy both, but look at them as being siblings to one another and not twins.

clanmcculloch

Kind of like fans of the original Battlestar Gallactica series watching the one from a few years ago? It drove me nuts. The characters and ships had the same names but nothing else was the same. I could have enjoyed the show if I wasn't constantly trying to separate the two meaning if they used the same basic premise but a whole new set of characters.

From what you're saying, I suspect I'll like the books more than the show. I do like the show but I also find myself yelling at my TV. Seriously, why does a vampire need a rocket launcher? That one I think was the worst (please tell me they don't do that in the books). I can separate a book from a movie or TV series easier than I can a remake of a movie of TV show since a book allows for creating an entirely different world in my head (beyond the 3 or 4 I live with daily) while with TV and movies they provide the visuals and environment making it harder to create the completely separate and unrelated worlds.

fitzy

I have lost interest in true blood. I used to be a big fan but I feel like the story line has lost direction. My DH read the first few books and he thought they were waynbetter than the show. I hated Tara in the show but DH said she was way less annoying in the books.

KtMcObs

No, no rocketlaunchers, in fact there is very little Bill after book 3 or so. I read 10 of the books over half the summer just a few years ago. I can't remember if there were a couple more after I left off or not. Like I said, though, super easy to get into and read.

The show has become a bit ridiculous, but still has entertainment value for me, i.e. Alexander Skarsgard, Joe Manganiello and Ryan Kwanten. I won't elaborate.

Jana

I have lost interest in true blood. I used to be a big fan but I feel like the story line has lost direction. My DH read the first few books and he thought they were waynbetter than the show. I hated Tara in the show but DH said she was way less annoying in the books.
ITA!

And my favorite character on GoT is Joffrey.:RpS_tongue: Seriously, I am Team Tyrion all the way!

clanmcculloch

No, no rocketlaunchers, in fact there is very little Bill after book 3 or so. I read 10 of the books over half the summer just a few years ago. I can't remember if there were a couple more after I left off or not. Like I said, though, super easy to get into and read.

The show has become a bit ridiculous, but still has entertainment value for me, i.e. Alexander Skarsgard, Joe Manganiello and Ryan Kwanten. I won't elaborate.
If they don't do the completely over the top rediculous stuff then I think I will give the books a try at some point. Thanks.

Oh, and yeah, I TOTALLY get your reasons for continuing to watch. :RpS_drool:

clanmcculloch

Check your local library. They might have it on DVD. Doesn't get any cheaper than that. At least where I am they're free from the library. I think I remember people mentioning to me that their library charges $1.

Not That Josh

Off of the highest ratings in the history of the show, HBO announced today that GoT has been renewed for a fourth season.

claytonia

That Margaery Tyrell, she's a smart little cookie. I'm only on the second book (and reading furiously to try to catch up), so I'm interested to see what happens with her.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
The guy in the beard gets into an argument, as does the other guy in the beard, while the other other guy in the beard looks sullen. #EveryEpisode