Genie+ Starts 10/19

BoSoxGal

How does park hopping play into this? I haven’t seen anything on that. Do you only get to use genie+ at one park per day?

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
How does park hopping play into this? I haven’t seen anything on that. Do you only get to use genie+ at one park per day?
No, it’s stated in the releases that parkhoppers can reserve in multiple parks each day.

lmr1999

Also why do they have to make everything so confusing? It just seems like they’re nickel and diming everyone. And then I guess you can’t change or get a refund if you buy the standalone lightning lane rides. I have mixed feelings about that.
It's the confusing part that bothers me the most. Not that I WANT to pay more, but I think I could handle it if I wasn't having to break out the calculator and try 14 different math problems depending on which park/ride/day. Figuring out a touring plan is enough of a puzzle without varying costs and a same day scramble to secure Lightning Lanes.

BoSoxGal

It's the confusing part that bothers me the most. Not that I WANT to pay more, but I think I could handle it if I wasn't having to break out the calculator and try 14 different math problems depending on which park/ride/day. Figuring out a touring plan is enough of a puzzle without varying costs and a same day scramble to secure Lightning Lanes.
Precisely. It’s too complicated. I’m looking forward to Josh’s review and thoughts from everyone here who tries it. It stinks our trip is three days after launch, but hopefully we’ll have enough to go on. I think we figured out that we’ll get Genie+ and LL for ROTR for Saturday, which is the one full day we’re there next weekend. 🤷🏻‍♀️

George

Figuring out a touring plan is enough of a puzzle without varying costs and a same day scramble to secure Lightning Lanes.
Varying costs of individual attractions is one thing*, but the G+ add-on amount is a known constant and, frankly, a good deal for me so that I can secure LLs electronically without having to waste time and energy criss-crossing the park for the next one, which I might not use for hours. For me it’s back to RD a headliner or two and then fill in with LL (on rare days I’ll want to do a lot of attractions) and Anytimes. And who knows, maybe stand-by lines will move faster. That’s yet to be seen.

I suspect we’re just used to the three-FPP-at-60-days planning, but I recall when FPP rolled out that everyone thought planning (and having tiered attractions) was a royal PITA.

*There’s little to no chance I’ll ever pay for individual attractions, at least for any of the ones that are currently being offered.

Last edited:
We will be there starting Saturday and plan to purchase it on 10/19 and hope for the best. I should be able to report back on our experience. I am excited for it and actually think it's going to give me and my family more flexibility. I am up at 7 everyday we are there anyway, so it's not a big deal for me, and the fact that not everyone will be starting the day with 3 FP+ and it's one per ride per person seems like those of us who are used to refreshing should be able to get on everything we want throughout the day.

Them never selling out also makes me think this is going to have some effect on standby so getting the Genie is going to be more of a benefit.

ThemeParkCommando

Yeah, I'm wondering if the plan will be "rope drop the LL attractions." I'm curious to see if those who pay for the LL attractions will book them for first thing in the morning.
I'm planning to RD RoR using standby, and make an individual LL reservation to it for later in the day. That way, I can ride it twice. This is the only attraction I am planning to do that way, simply because we are such Star Wars nerds.

cboyer

I am really interested to see how this pans out. Depending on the park, regular Genie+ seems like a good deal. For instance, at MK I can see us using it often. But not so much at EP or AK, just not enough rides to skip the lines there, doubt it will be needed for figment. So I like it can be purchased on a day by day basis. I am surprised at some of the attractions, mainly Frozen over TT. But I am hopeful that it will work out nice, and actually make park days easier.

pixarprincess

We will be there starting Saturday and plan to purchase it on 10/19 and hope for the best. I should be able to report back on our experience. I am excited for it and actually think it's going to give me and my family more flexibility. I am up at 7 everyday we are there anyway, so it's not a big deal for me, and the fact that not everyone will be starting the day with 3 FP+ and it's one per ride per person seems like those of us who are used to refreshing should be able to get on everything we want throughout the day.

Them never selling out also makes me think this is going to have some effect on standby so getting the Genie is going to be more of a benefit.
I will be interested in hearing what you guys think. we are going in December and I am on the fence about it being worth it.

I am really interested to see how this pans out. Depending on the park, regular Genie+ seems like a good deal. For instance, at MK I can see us using it often. But not so much at EP or AK, just not enough rides to skip the lines there, doubt it will be needed for figment. So I like it can be purchased on a day by day basis. I am surprised at some of the attractions, mainly Frozen over TT. But I am hopeful that it will work out nice, and actually make park days easier.
We are currently planning on buying it for our second EP day because it lets us get a later start that morning and avoid rope drop. Plus I can theoretically walk into the park with 2 LL passes in hand by making a reservation at 7 and 9 AM.

I am not thrilled about Frozen being on the ILL list. My Olaf obsessed 2 year old won't know the difference if we don't ride it a second time, but I'd prefer the option without having to pay more for it.

ceb104

I also was able to grab this screenshot that explained the differences between Genie and Genie+. They confirmed that each LL selection is only once per ride, and all selections are "based on limited availably" (said it many, many times) which worries me when Genie+ will never sell out.

Attachments

• difference.jpg
    difference.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 14

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
It will never be worse than FP+, which was free and (essentially) everyone used.

The system may not be worse, but there's plenty of pre-Genie negativity already in place, so if WDW doesn't hit a home run (or maybe even a double) with the highly promoted, pay to play Genie+, I'll be curious to see what happens.

bnoble

he's right
Negativity by whom? People posting on Disneyphile boards? Most of those people are still going, and most of those people will find things about the trip they enjoyed. The world will continue to spin. Some won’t, but the Mouse won’t miss them, because the plan all along seems to have been to raise prices and thin the herd.

Strangeite

Saw this thread on Twitter and immediately thought of Genie+

giphy.gif

According to Scott Gustin on Twitter, the 120 minute clock won't start until the park opens. So, it seems to me that the strategy is to get the earliest available LL so you can use it early and get the next one and so on and so on.

George

According to Scott Gustin on Twitter, the 120 minute clock won't start until the park opens. So, it seems to me that the strategy is to get the earliest available LL so you can use it early and get the next one and so on and so on.
Just like original FP! But I’d start with the ones whose return times get pushed back fastest.