Grand Flordian DVC

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I think it will end up working out, though it is awfully close to the Wedding Pavilion. I'm sure Disney has been over this. People said something similar about Bay Lake Tower and I don't think it's had much of an effect. I certainly haven't seen anybody staying at the Contemporary that was complaining about that monolith that is Bay Lake Tower.

That really is the location right to the left of the Wedding Pavilion.

bnoble

he's right
I've read some points of view where people are concerned that it will ruin the look of the MK area and others concerned of what the increased traffic will mean for the monorail.
Neither will matter. Another building or two in that area won't matter one whit for views around Seven Seas Lagoon. Likewise for the monorail; it's already busy at busy times, and empty at empty times. This is in the noise.

The wedding pavilion issue won't be a problem as long as they've addressed sight lines from within the chapel. I suspect they have.

I'm surprised they announced so soon. BLT is just about kaput. This only cannibalizes AKV sales, unless they are ready to sell GFV ASAP.

Brandie

Will work for Dole Whips.
I'm excited to have somewhere else to use my points, but not so excited that I'll want points of my own there.

blyday

tests unsafe roller coasts in china
I agree that I doubt it will be a problem. I was reading some other discussions about it and they were saying how BLT has ruined the look of the Seven Seas Lagoon from MK, etc and I personally don't see it. They also pointed out the fact that Disney has had to limit the monorail use, etc but I think that has more to do with run time then numbers of people using the monorails. Something that would be an issue no matter how many people are using them.

It will be interesting to see it all unfold over the next few years.

MichaelColey

I've read some points of view where people are concerned that it will ruin the look of the MK area and others concerned of what the increased traffic will mean for the monorail.
It's only 147 units. The Grand Floridian has 900, Contemporary has 1000, Bay Lake Tower has 300, and the Polynesian has 850. That's about a 5% increase in the number of units at monorail resorts. I'm sure a good portion of the resort monorail traffic is people with dining ADRs, too. The effect it'll have on the monorial will be trivial.

Finally DVC

This only cannibalizes AKV sales, unless they are ready to sell GFV ASAP.
I don't know...There may be as much as a $40 difference between the two resorts after incentives. I can see guides pushing the "value priced" AKV to guests who want to use points to stay at the Grand Floridian.

mdsd8700

don't ask me to spin in circles
I don't know...There may be as much as a $40 difference between the two resorts after incentives. I can see guides pushing the "value priced" AKV to guests who want to use points to stay at the Grand Floridian.
Welcome to Finally DVC! It is always nice to have new people to chat with :RpS_biggrin:

Personally I am not too worried about the location or the extra people on the monorail. The cost I am sure will be outrageous and although I do love the GF owning there doesn't interest me. I would stay there using my points though, but again wouldn't distruaght if I couldn't get in at 7 months.

I also think that Finally DVC has a point about the cost difference. Although I am sure Disney will have no problem selling GF points there are many I think that will see AKV as a bargin and go that route instead.

MichaelColey

AKV has a value proposition of its own. Staying "on the savanna" is something you can't do anywhere else (outside of Africa) that I know of.

That's one thing I think Disney has done very well -- each of its properties are VERY unique and attractive to different groups.

MrsNick

AKV has a value proposition of its own. Staying "on the savanna" is something you can't do anywhere else (outside of Africa) that I know of.

That's one thing I think Disney has done very well -- each of its properties are VERY unique and attractive to different groups.
And that's exactly why Animal Kingdom is my favorite, so far. There are times when we stay at other resorts because of location logistics, but that aside, I think Animal Kingdom Lodge is beautiful and unique. If I had spare money I would be more likely to purchase AKV points than GFV points.

That said, of course we're going to try to get in at the 7 month window at some point.

Wendy

Wake me up at the end of the meal
I bet it will take a lot of points to stay at GFV, the value not as good as staying elsewhere. BLT is pretty expensive from a point perspective, I would guess GFV will be even more. Fine if you need to burn points.

texhanddoc

won't let you order a nice scotch
Is it cynical of me to think that part of the reason they are doing this is so that they can hold off on declaring too many of these so that a large number of wealthy folks can pay outrageous sums of money a night for 2 and 3 bedroom villas at the GF?

mdsd8700

don't ask me to spin in circles
I bet it will take a lot of points to stay at GFV, the value not as good as staying elsewhere. BLT is pretty expensive from a point perspective, I would guess GFV will be even more. Fine if you need to burn points.
I am guessing you are correct and the points will be high. That seems to be the trend. As you say BLT can be expensive point wise and so can VGC and Aulani. We have stayed at both VGC and BLT and thought they were well worth the points per night used. Of course not everyone will feel that way but that extra bathroom and the location of both is great. I am hoping we are pleased with Aulani when we stay in June. Now the GF doesn't appeal to me as much as the others but I would definately give it a try eventually, even with high points.

bnoble

he's right
Is it cynical of me to think that part of the reason they are doing this is so that they can hold off on declaring too many of these so that a large number of wealthy folks can pay outrageous sums of money a night for 2 and 3 bedroom villas at the GF?
I think they will declare them as fast as they can sell them. Pricing will be interesting...too low an you leave money on the table. Too high and the sales pace can leave them in a tough spot short term. However, I think they did under-price BLT to start, as they quickly corrected it. They might over-correct here.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, DVC is a big part of their earnings report. If revenue is going to continue to go up, they're going to need to continue increasing DVC revenue.