Grand Floridian - Sugar Loaf

clayton

We just returned from a week stay at Grand Floridian in the Sugar Loaf building. We had four rooms (12 people).

We had some major issues with items that Disney's Signature Services had booked for us in advance. This includes, Lilo's Playhouse reservations (booked for wrong nights than what my email confirmation from them showed), Disney Floral reservations (for birthday gifts - delivered to someone else's room and then took 2 days to straighten out), car to/from airport (they booked it twice so two cars showed up for us), birthday cake order (put the wrong child's name on the cake). We also had issues with getting packages that had been delivered to us - we had a case of diapers from Amazon that the GF staff said they couldn't find - one call to the business center from us and it was magically found. We were eventually able to get all of this straightened out but I have decided that next time I will be making all of my own reservations and not relying on Signature Services.

I did let a manager know just for feedback purposes - he personally stepped in and got everything sorted out so that was much appreciated.

The Sugar Loaf rooms were great - quiet and in good order. The lounge was great, food was good and it was always replenished, and the lounge was normally on the quiet side. This was a big difference from our Poly club level stay last year.

We loved the pools although my kids did miss the Volcano pool. We rented a cabana every day and will definitely do that again.

Some of us went on the fishing trip, rented sea racers, participated in the kids' activities at GF and enjoyed everything.

All food on property that we had was good - will do separate reviews for the restaurants.

We only rode the Disney buses once - to Animal Kingdom. It was a 30 minute wait but there was staff at the bus stop who let us know this which was helpful. We had two scooters and both were loaded on to the bus no problem. The reason I absolutely hate riding the buses with scooters is the death stare everyone gives you as the scooters are loaded first. My father and mother in law cannot walk and have to have scooters / wheel chairs even at home. Walking was not an option for them - one man even said something that having two scooters shouldn't be allowed. This has nothing to do with the GF its self but it definitely did dampen the mood.

All in all, we definitely enjoyed our stay and would recommend. Our favorite club level is still Boardwalk but with kids the monorail can't be beat. The resort its self is beautiful!

Edit to add: We used the fold over day bed in each room and worked fine for our 14 year old. The fireworks can be watched from several different locations throughout the resort. The lifeguards at the pool were very good at keeping things "under control" - a kid was trying to throw a baseball across the pool one day and that was shut down within 30 seconds.

Last edited:

ChristineOH

Wow, that's quite a list of issues with Signature Services! That's no fun to deal with. And sorry you had a bad experience with other guests and your scooters. I think most people are completely fine with scooters. There's always a few jerks out there, even at Disney. And 30 minutes for a bus is crazy-- I don't know if we've ever waited that long. I wonder what the hold up was there.

It sounds like you had a lot to manage with a large, multi-generational group, and you managed to make it work through some hiccups. Congratulations! Glad you had a good trip!

Not That Josh

We only rode the Disney buses once - to Animal Kingdom. It was a 30 minute wait but there was staff at the bus stop who let us know this which was helpful. We had two scooters and both were loaded on to the bus no problem. The reason I absolutely hate riding the buses with scooters is the death stare everyone gives you as the scooters are loaded first. My father and mother in law cannot walk and have to have scooters / wheel chairs even at home. Walking was not an option for them - one man even said something that having two scooters shouldn't be allowed. This has nothing to do with the GF its self but it definitely did dampen the mood.
People can be awful, sometimes even worse in high stress situations like vacation. Hopefully it didn't dampen the mood for too long.

Most importantly, glad you enjoyed your trip overall. :RpS_smile:

gulliesmom

Can you tell me more about the fishing, sea racers rentals, and the kid's activities you did at the resort? I have the GF booked for the week of Thanksgiving and we have one day reserved to stay at the resort and enjoy all the recreational activities. Do you remember the cost? Did you reserve in advance? Thanks.

clayton

Hi! We did book the fishing in advance by calling the recreation number. The sea racer rentals we rented on the spot with no issue. The kids' activity centers we booked in advance but unfortunately they are closing this summer. The fishing for half a day was in the $250 range. The sea racer I think was around $30 for an hour.