Help getting to MK for 8am open from WBC

ada

Hello,

We will be visiting MK with a non-EMH 8am open on 4/3. We are staying off-site at WBC but have a throw-away night booked at Pop Century. Since we have access to Disney transportation for that morning, I'm wondering what is the most reliable way to get to MK? We have FP's for 7DMT,PP and WtP, so we will be heading to Tomorrowland at rope drop. My goal is to get to the tapstiles around 7:15am.

Does it make more sense to drive to Pop and get on one of their buses? From what I've read, they should be running by 6:30am, getting us to MK between 6:45 and 7:00, depending on when the bus arrives.

Or, should we drive to TTC and see what's running at 6:30am? I get so confused by what is actually running at TTC that early in the morning!

This is spring break, so I'm expecting big crowds and shooting for a 6:30 arrival at either Pop or TTC. If you think we would still be ok arriving at either place at 6:45, please let me know. I'm happy to sleep 15 minutes longer!

I know that the real answer is to take an Uber to CR and walk over. I would love to do that, but the person I'm related to by marriage doesn't do Uber...don't ask...

Also, part of my strategy for booking this throwaway night was that MK might open at 7am for EMH. So far that hasn't happened and at this point, I don't think it will. However, if that does change, I'll likely have to re-post :RpS_wink:

Thanks for any and all input!

beachta1

Leave the uber person at home and have them figure it out on their own... LOL.

If you bought the throwaway night at POP in order to take the bus from there, seems like you should do that?

paxsarah

According to a response a few posts down, Josh says the ferry is usually operating an hour before park open (in your case, 7) and the resort monorail typically starts operating at 7 (6:30 if there's a 7am EMH). I would drive to TTC unless you have another reason to be at Pop.

ada

Thanks!

No, I don't really have another reason to be at Pop, I just noticed that it was about as close to WBC as TTC was, so I figured I would think about it as an option. I didn't really book Pop because of the buses, all the campsites were already sold out for that night.

Now, leaving DH back at WBC and taking Uber, that is a thought...

Disneyfan

We were at WBC just last week during our spring break with a 8 am MK opening. I had not been to the world in a couple years. Security was actually at the TTC which surprised me. Maybe I forgot or maybe a new change. I remember it at MK.

Anyway, we had been at AK on Sunday and planned for MK on Monday and Tuesday. After the AK crowds, I made everyone get to the TTC at 6:30 am on Monday. Security did not open until 6:50, so we wasted time just standing and waiting. The line for security did not seem to build very quickly. After we got through security, we headed to the monorail. The monorail was delayed a bit and the ferry left first. We were still at the tapstile in plenty of time. The next day, I returned to the TTL but waited until 6:45ish to arrive. I was a bit behind the very first people, but still got on the first monorail. When the monorail arrived at MK, the cast members seemed to open/uncover more tapstiles as monorail riders walked up.

For whatever reason, I seemed to have a little harder time navigating the Disney roads this time around. I even got kind of lost once. The roads seemed more crowed. But all still went fairly smoothly. I really like the freedom of a car.

Have a great trip!!

ada

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. So, do you think we could shoot for 6:40 at TTC rather than 6:30? Any extra sleep will be better!

Since you were just at WBC, would you mind telling me about your leaving times for the other parks?

For HS and Epcot, I thought we could leave our room at WBC at 7:15 to arrive at the tapstiles at 8:00 for a 9:00 open. Does that sound right? Should we leave earlier? later? We have FP's for FEA, so we will be RD'ing TT at Epcot. At HS, we will be RD'ing Star Tours (I know!)

For AK, I thought we could leave our room at 6:45 to arrive at AK tapstiles at 7:15. We have FP's for FoP, so we will be RD'ing Na'vi. Again, leave earlier?

TIA for any insights you can give me. It's been almost 4 years since we've been to WDW, so these details are kind of hazy for me!

Disneyfan

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. So, do you think we could shoot for 6:40 at TTC rather than 6:30? Any extra sleep will be better!

Since you were just at WBC, would you mind telling me about your leaving times for the other parks?

For HS and Epcot, I thought we could leave our room at WBC at 7:15 to arrive at the tapstiles at 8:00 for a 9:00 open. Does that sound right? Should we leave earlier? later? We have FP's for FEA, so we will be RD'ing TT at Epcot. At HS, we will be RD'ing Star Tours (I know!)

For AK, I thought we could leave our room at 6:45 to arrive at AK tapstiles at 7:15. We have FP's for FoP, so we will be RD'ing Na'vi. Again, leave earlier?
TIA for any insights you can give me. It's been almost 4 years since we've been to WDW, so these details are kind of hazy for me!
Love to share - I could talk Disney all day!

HS and Epcot are soooo close and easy to get to from WBC. We were just there 5 nights this time - so didn't get to HS RD. But leaving at 7:30 to get to the EP tapstile by 8:00 worked fine for me.

To get to MK and Epcot, I avoided Buena Vista. When you leave the WBC gate and turn right, you are on Chelonia Pkwy. The road changes names to Backstage Lane at Buena Vista. Instead of turning right at Buena Vista, continue going straight to the second right which is Overpass road. You will go over Epcot Center Drive and turn left at the next light, Bonnet Creek Pkwy. You will be parallel with Epcot Center Drive. Then at the next light, turn left and enter Epcot Center drive.

For AK, we left at 6:10 b/c we were heading to FoP. We had FPs for it later in the day, but I knew that I would want to ride it twice. It was great. We were second at the tapstiles, one row back at the next rope. So, not sure about a Navi plan. But after we rode FoP, we hopped on Navi with pretty much no wait. Then, we went to EE and rode it twice with a 2 or 3 minute wait. We had a successful day.

I know what you mean about being hazy. It had been 2 years between visits for us. I don't know why I got turned around on the roads this time.

Last edited:

Disneyfan

This just popped in my head. . . If you have little ones, you may need a few more minutes. We were all adults on this trip and were always "walking with a purpose" in the mornings.

ada

Thank you, that is very helpful! Our kids aren't 'little', but they are tweens, so there's no telling their attitudes in the morning :RpS_wink: