Help with planning DHS time in August

Thanks for helping me organize our DHS time on 2 park days in August. Me, husband, 19 yo son.

Th 8/12, hours 9-7pm and Sat 8/14 9-7pm
Walking from Swan both days. What time should we arrive? (willing to arrive as early as necessary to have our best chance of enjoying the day!)

I am willing to divide things up over the two days, but need advice on doing so, to give us the best shot of riding everything below. I should mention that ToT and RNR are 2 of my son's favorites at DW, so if there is a way to do those more than once, we would try. We can try to stay all day, or more likely, stay for most of one day, then on second day take a break and come back. Or do that both days if it makes the most sense. Advice is welcome. We will do Brown Derby lunch on the first day most likely.

Must do:
RnR
ToT
Slinky
MMRR
RoTR (trying, anyway)

Like to do:
TSMM
Smuggler's Run--not sure yet if anyone wants to ride. I will not ride it.
Muppets
Skip Star Tours given new Star Wars rides?
Alien Swirling Saucers--don't really care. Rode it once.

Thanks!

Thank you!

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the good news is that the rides are all basically running at full capacity, but I expect the Park Pass increase to hit that park the hardest. We also don't know if Disney will be doing that on-site guest head start thing by August. So even as someone who has gone through every ride at the Studios dozens of times, I'm still a bit flummoxed on the best plan of attack.

At the moment, I'd arrive 75 minutes before open to beat just about everyone. Then probably Slinky to Runaway Railway and then Smugglers Run or Rock n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. You can also do that in the opposite order at night should something not work out during the morning. About a half hour after the park opens, you're looking at hefty waits at most of the rides. I have some charts posted from this past weekend that shows what you're currently looking at. So you might have a look and see what seems most manageable.

To split things up over two days, you could simply do Slinky, Toy Story Mania, Saucers if you want, then Smugglers Run, Star Tours, and Muppet*Vision. Then hit Tower and RnR at night. On the second day, you could start with Runaway Railway and then head to RnR and Tower of Tower, then whatever else you can fit in. The trick beyond the early arrival is to either do Slinky first or last.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
At the moment it's basically never been better since the first couple of weeks after reopening. It just depends on when that capacity increase comes.

Disneyfan

At the moment it's basically never been better since the first couple of weeks after reopening. It just depends on when that capacity increase comes.
The unknown capacity increase is what scares me. I have just been spoiled by knowing the best way to use FP+.

Well, the good news is that the rides are all basically running at full capacity, but I expect the Park Pass increase to hit that park the hardest. We also don't know if Disney will be doing that on-site guest head start thing by August. So even as someone who has gone through every ride at the Studios dozens of times, I'm still a bit flummoxed on the best plan of attack.

At the moment, I'd arrive 75 minutes before open to beat just about everyone. Then probably Slinky to Runaway Railway and then Smugglers Run or Rock n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. You can also do that in the opposite order at night should something not work out during the morning. About a half hour after the park opens, you're looking at hefty waits at most of the rides. I have some charts posted from this past weekend that shows what you're currently looking at. So you might have a look and see what seems most manageable.

To split things up over two days, you could simply do Slinky, Toy Story Mania, Saucers if you want, then Smugglers Run, Star Tours, and Muppet*Vision. Then hit Tower and RnR at night. On the second day, you could start with Runaway Railway and then head to RnR and Tower of Tower, then whatever else you can fit in. The trick beyond the early arrival is to either do Slinky first or last.
Thank you. If it were up to just me I would skip this park this visit. Instead we have 2 days to try to make it worthwhile! I know the 75 minute early arrival is not gonna go over big--but neither would the alternative. It is probably too early for me to even ask for advice on this, but couldn't help myself. Perhaps I might ask for your advice again as things get closer and maybe things are slightly clearer? Yes I am completely confused by the "letting people in early unofficially" thing. If we arrive 75 minutes early, does that mean we wait 75 min to get in currently, or are they opening early right now unofficially? I will be watching that development closely.

And I am advocating for skipping Smuggler's Run. It sounds terrible to me and it would make things so much easier. Let's see what the fam thinks.

Thanks, as always, Josh!

josh

Administrator
Staff member
At the moment, the Studios typically lets guests enter the park 45 minutes before official open. So if the opening is 9am, bag check will open around 8:12am and you'll be on your way inside at 8:15am. Most of the trick is beating the Skyliner folks to the punch and they will begin arriving right around an hour before the park officially opens if everything is running smoothly. So that's usually 8am. If you're fast, it's about a 15 minute walk over and I would shoot for a 7:55am arrival. Earlier only means being in front of more people who will be doing the same thing you are.

But as with the other posts, with so many social distancing things changing, they may be back to letting people park hours early and lining up to wait at the gate, which would then make a 7:55am arrival "late" at least as far as Slinky Dog is concerned. But like with Animal Kingdom, the good news is that you can still do it last if you're running behind and not mess your day up too much by simply going to the second or third priority.

So for now, you might have two plans in mind - one where you beat the majority of people and can hit the park hard in the first 75 minutes, and another plan where you skip the top priority and return to it last thing. The two plans would basically be identical except for the first step, which would either be Slinky right at park open or getting in line a couple minutes before close.

Now that my trip is closer (DHS days on Aug 12 and 14), and they are no longer opening the parks "early," can I ask again for some help? What time should I leave Swan, walking at a comfortable pace, to be somewhat near the front--and--in what order should I do these 3 rides at RD? I am thinking, MMRR, RnR, and then ToT, with the plan that if ToT is too long by then (say, longer than 35 minutes), move it to last ride at night. We will probably, to quote Josh, try to "hit the park hard in the first 75 minutes," then do a couple of lower key attractions, leave, and come back like 6-9 on our DHS days.

ToT
RnR
MMRR

Thanks. I have basically decided to skip Slinky at this point, since it doesn't rank that high on the son's list of faves. That will make things a little easier. If by some miracle we can ride it last, we will do that.

NJD8598

So hard to give any advice these days the way things change so frequently. I remember you seeking some info in my thread about our Memorial Day weekend trip, so you kinda know my thoughts on things. I don't think it matters that much whether your getting in "early" or now doing an old school rope drop like you'll be doing...looks like Josh recommended an arrival around 755 and that seems solid. You should leave Swan no later then 740, but if you get out at 730 even better. Speaking from experience there is nothing nicer then showing up and being right at the front lol. When that Skyliner starts delivering people, man do things back up quick.

I think the nice thing about the pandemic era "early" entry was that when you arrived at the attraction of your choice, they were typically running shortly after and earlier then anticipated. So when we were at the Studios back in September, we were the first few people in line for entry, then the first few people in line for MMRR, expecting to sit in the que for an hour....but ended up riding and moving through our morning WAY ahead of schedule. Now with things back to a formal rope drop you don't have that added advantage....but your plan is still solid...there's not much else you can do. Hopefully you can get back down Sunset Blvd before things start backing up over there. Bottom line here is the earlier you start your day, the closer to the front of rope drop you are, the better the chances your plan proceeds smoothly. If your here then you already have the skill to pull an emergency reroute on your day if the plan starts falling apart. Your going to love that walk from Swan though, so much easier then relying on transportation!

Thanks @NJD8598! Appreciate the input. Yes, the return to formal rope drop was very disappointing news! I don't enjoy it under any circumstances, let alone during a pandemic.