Holding Points Available

Anne

If anyone is interested, we have 113 DVC points in holding from a cancellation that need to be used by 7/31/20 and the room can only be booked 60 days or less in advance. If your reservation needs more points than 113 we could add additional points.

Or, since we have not actually cancelled the reservation yet, we still have 4 nights in a lake view studio at Poly 3/24-3/28 if that matches anyone's dates.

Anne

Haven't set a price. Waiting to see if there is interest. Not interested in splitting them unless you wanted 100, or close to the full amount. You can PM me for more details.

Micah008

I have read of Member Services putting points back into accounts without them being in holding (and even banking past the normal deadline). If you haven't already I would call and see if they will help you out given the circumstances.

Anne

I have read of Member Services putting points back into accounts without them being in holding (and even banking past the normal deadline). If you haven't already I would call and see if they will help you out given the circumstances.
Thanks!
Tried to call yesterday but couldn't even get into the queue. We had decided we would use the points ourselves for June or July before they expired (because we now have 226 from our room and my parents' room). But that was before they officially closed WDW. Now that they have closed for our dates we might see if they can be banked for the next use year and used for November and skip rescheduling for summer. My concern is there might not be great room availability at 7 months for November because of all those who have to reschedule. We were hoping to go from a 1 to 2 bedroom and when I last checked there were several options, but that might not be true by the time this all shakes out and we get to 7 months.

Anne

Good news is points fully refunded and the ones from this use year could be banked. Some of the points were borrowed from next year and those could be "un-borrowed" and put back to next year's use year. I feel bad for anyone with banked points from last year, I was told that was the one situation where they couldn't bank forward an extra year to next year. If Disney is closed when your points expire they are just lost :-(

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Good news is points fully refunded and the ones from this use year could be banked. Some of the points were borrowed from next year and those could be "un-borrowed" and put back to next year's use year. I feel bad for anyone with banked points from last year, I was told that was the one situation where they couldn't bank forward an extra year to next year. If Disney is closed when your points expire they are just lost :-(
Where did you hear that borrowed points could be "un-borrowed?" I just spoke to DVC and they said in no uncertain terms that their usual banking and borrowing rules are still in effect, and that borrowed points would not be returned to the original UY, The only concession they're allowing is that they won't keep points from cancelled reservations in Holding.

Micah008

Where did you hear that borrowed points could be "un-borrowed?" I just spoke to DVC and they said in no uncertain terms that their usual banking and borrowing rules are still in effect, and that borrowed points would not be returned to the original UY, The only concession they're allowing is that they won't keep points from cancelled reservations in Holding.
For multiple days late last week and early this week they had been un-borrowing points for people and banking past the banking deadlines. It seems starting yesterday (Tuesday) after the official email came out (Monday) they have no longer been doing this to "avoid future inventory constraints".

Last edited:

Anne

George, I'm so sorry they aren't fixing this issue for you!

When I originally posted this thread offering the points I hadn't actually cancelled the reservation hoping either someone would take over the existing room reservation, or DVC might be more accommodating with a cancellation if things got worse (the first time I checked they said the points would still go into holding if we voluntarily cancelled and exceptions would only be made if the Resort closed, similar to hurricane policy).

This Sunday the reservation was cancelled (it took a few days after WDW officially closed to even get through on the phone) and they were willing to bank the points from this UY to next year and un-borrow next year's points. I don't know if it was because the call was before the official policy came out on Monday, or if it made a difference that Disney cancelled the reservation because they are closed and ultimately it wasn't my decision.

Maybe if they are still closed for your dates they will be more accommodating? Or maybe after a couple days of banking they realized it was going to be way more points than they anticipated? Still, it seems completely wrong (and ? Legal?)for them to be able to expire points for a period when the resort is closed, the product you paid for isn't available at the time you paid for it!

mgarbowski

Disney seems to be going back and forth on the borrowed points issue, and as of yesterday, it appears they are letting people un-borrow points again, officially. The notice reads, for now, and as of 3/18:

To make the process of changing reservations as smooth as possible, Disney Vacation Club has lifted the close-in reservation cancellation restrictions and will return any of your Points back as Vacation Points or Reservation Points without placing them into holding. In the meantime, all Points banking rules remain in place. While we understand the banking policy might create some frustration, please realize that this rule is in place to ensure that the Membership as a whole avoids future inventory constraints. Borrowed Points returned due to a cancellation of a Disney Vacation Club Resort reservation will not be placed in holding and will be returned to the Use Year they were borrowed from.

Emphasis added.

People also reported personal DPs yesterday at the DIS of being allowed to return borrowed points when they cancel. I think this policy makes sense and I hope it holds, though it won't help me. Stick to the banking rules, but suspend the borrowing rules, at least as to undoing it. The one thing I think they could do with respect to banking would be to delay the banking deadline so people can decide without having to predict 3-4 months into the future. I don't think they will do it, but it would not IMO cause any cascading problems into next year. As I mentioned in another thread, I have a mid-August reservation and have to decide by the end of April whether to cancel so I can bank and save roughly half of the points (and also guarantee that I sacrifice the other half). It would be great if I could defer banking until May or June when we'll have a better idea how long this will last.

George

I guess I have to call back. I have two reservations for May, four nights at RR, four nights at CC. The RR points came from my Poly contract, which are bankable, but 125 of the CC points were borrowed from my BLT contract, which I'd lose if they don't let me un-borrow them.

I suppose with everything going on, if losing 125 DVC points is my biggest problem, I'm lucky. Still, as Mel Brooks said, "Tragedy is if I stub my toe. Comedy is if you fall in a manhole and die."

mgarbowski

UPDATE:

The DVC Corona Travel Information page continues to state Borrowed points can be restored to the year from which they are borrowed, and indicates that they are considering some relaxation of banking rules.

To make the process of changing reservations as smooth as possible, Disney Vacation Club has lifted the close-in reservation cancellation restrictions and will return any of your Points back as Vacation Points or Reservation Points without placing them into holding. Borrowed Points returned due to a cancellation of a Disney Vacation Club Resort reservation will not be placed in holding and will be returned to the Use Year they were borrowed from.​

At this time, we have not made any changes to our Points banking or expiration policy due the impact this could have on future inventory availability. We understand this is of particular concern for Members with reservations affected by closures and/or the COVID-19 situation who may be toward the end of their Use Year. We are, however, currently evaluating various options to assist Members in this situation, but will need to delay any decisions until we better understand how long COVID-19 will impact our operations.​

George

UPDATE:

The DVC Corona Travel Information page continues to state Borrowed points can be restored to the year from which they are borrowed, and indicates that they are considering some relaxation of banking rules
Thanks for the update. I called back, and the problem with my reservation is that it's 3-7 May, and the special rules only apply to reservations through March 31. I guess I have to wait to see if they extend the exceptions. For now I'll wait, as I have until April 30 to bank. I know I ordinarily have until April 2 to cancel to keep the points from going into holding, so I guess I'll have to continue to monitor their cancellation policies.

mgarbowski

Thanks for the update. I called back, and the problem with my reservation is that it's 3-7 May, and the special rules only apply to reservations through March 31. I guess I have to wait to see if they extend the exceptions. For now I'll wait, as I have until April 30 to bank. I know I ordinarily have until April 2 to cancel to keep the points from going into holding, so I guess I'll have to continue to monitor their cancellation policies.
FWIW I am going to write in to request they extend the banking deadline. I also have to bank by 4/30. My trip is in August, just before the use year ends, with roughly a 50-50 split between already banked points and points that could be banked. As I have stated here before, if there is no certainty by late April, and the date is not extended, I will definitely cancel the booking, and salvage the bankable points. If they extend the deadline, the only other possible outcome is I keep the booking, don't bank any additional points, and remove points from circulation. It's pretty much win-win.

George

I just received the following e-mail. What's unclear is the end date of the "until further notice," and which reservations will be cancelled automatically and points returned/unborrowed.

Dear Members,

I know the last couple of weeks have been a challenge for all of us. As we navigate the rapidly changing COVID-19 environment, we continue to make decisions focused on the health and wellbeing of our Members, Guests and Cast Members. Today I want to share another update with you.

As a result of this unprecedented pandemic and in line with direction provided by health experts and government officials, Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort will remain closed until further notice. This closure affects all Disney Vacation Club properties, including Disney’s Vero Beach Resort, Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort and Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa.

During this temporary closure, it is our priority to continue providing you with helpful and efficient service, even as the majority of our Cast Members are working remotely, including those in Member Services and Member Accounting.

Until the decision is made as to when the resorts will reopen, all reservations scheduled for arrival during the closure time will be automatically cancelled by Disney Vacation Club on a week-by-week basis. Members do not need to cancel the reservation online or contact Member Services. In light of the unusual circumstances and to provide more flexibility, Disney Vacation Club established a temporary cancellation policy to supplement our existing cancellation rules. Details include:
  • Vacation Points returned due to a cancellation of a resort reservation will not be placed in a holding account and will be returned to the current Use Year. This applies to all reservations checking in within the next 30 days.
  • When a reservation involving Borrowed Points is cancelled, the Borrowed Points will be returned to the Use Year they were borrowed from. This applies to all reservations regardless of arrival date. Please allow up to 15 business days for this process to be completed.
The following existing cancellation rules continue to apply:
  • Reservation Points returned due to a cancellation of a Disney Collection Resort reservation will be returned as Reservation Points to the current Use Year.
  • Reservations made with points Banked from the previous Use Year will be returned as Banked Points to the current Use Year.
  • One-time use Points will be returned to the current Use Year as one-time use Points.
In addition, some Members may have questions about reservation cancellations involving Points that are set to expire soon. At this time, we are evaluating the banking and expiration policy and the use of certain Points impacted by the closures. As a part of our evaluation process, we need to be considerate of the impact any changes could have on future inventory availability for the Membership overall. A decision will be made when we better understand how long COVID-19 will impact our operations.

As we anticipate high call volume in the days ahead, we encourage you to use the Disney Vacation Club website for general information – and we ask that you contact Member Services only if you need assistance with an existing reservation. Any Member who would like to book a new Disney Vacation Club Resort reservation or modify an existing reservation may do so through the Member Online Booking Tool.

We realize that disruptions related to COVID-19 are altering your family’s vacation plans, and we thank you for your understanding during this unprecedented time. It is our commitment to stay focused on serving you with ongoing communication and updates.

We look forward to “welcoming you home” as soon as we can.

Stay well,

Terri Schultz
Senior Vice President
Disney Vacation Club, Guided Adventures & Expeditions and Golden Oak

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
I just received the following e-mail. What's unclear is the end date of the "until further notice," and which reservations will be cancelled automatically and points returned/unborrowed.
Until the decision is made as to when the resorts will reopen, all reservations scheduled for arrival during the closure time will be automatically cancelled by Disney Vacation Club on a week-by-week basis.
Yeah that's bullshit. They're giving you one week notice if your vacation is on or off. I can't summon the correct words to describe how ridiculous that policy is.