Holy Crap! Gator drags child into water near Disney's Grand Floridian

Anne

This is a PC overreaction. Wally Gator is spinning in his grave.
I don't know that it has anything to do with being PC. Just basic self preservation on 2 fronts

A. Who wants guests to think about Alligators at all right now? Why remind people?
B. You know if they didn't cut out every gator or crocodile reference they can they would get criticism for being insensitive. There is no up side for them to leave that stuff in right now.

TeacherGrandma

I got a real kick out of meeting Louis during the DVC special evening event at MK in February. It is disappointing that they took him out of the new show. I understand about being thoughtful in light of recent events, but that might be going a little too far.

broncobill

When I first hear of this, the first two things that entered my mind were(outside of feeling terrible for the family), that alligator was really hungry, or people in the park must be feeding the alligators.
I've seen videos where people at Poly were feeding them. This makes the alligators associate people with food. So instead of avoiding people, they seek them out.
There is a reason why alligators have been around for millions of years basically unchanged.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
When I first hear of this, the first two things that entered my mind were(outside of feeling terrible for the family), that alligator was really hungry, or people in the park must be feeding the alligators.
I've seen videos where people at Poly were feeding them. This makes the alligators associate people with food. So instead of avoiding people, they seek them out.
There is a reason why alligators have been around for millions of years basically unchanged.
What's more, that association is imprinted on the alligator and it will forever associate people with food source.

ChantelCT

I saw that the beaches have been reopened and that they think they found the gator that attacked the boy and it has been euthanized.