How Close To Your Next Trip Are You?

marcteeters

It seems like everytime we get close 50% saved up something falls apart and empties our rainy day fund. This time we are confident we can make it but have no set timeline. Our main hope is to be there for our 10th anniversary in 2 years but we'll take any Disney Trip we can get. I got a rough estimate without discounts and I'm going to track my goal every week. As of right now we have 21.56% of what we need. Is anyobe else this big of a stat nerd.?

Sent from my Z965 using Tapatalk

capeokw56

We are definitely not stat nerds. And the reason is that I don't want to know how much we've actually spent on Disney. We bought DVC a couple of years ago to help minimize costs but of course now it just makes us go there more often. We are going this coming December, February, and April. The last time I made an estimate of what we have spent I figured that we could have bought a second home here on Cape Cod.

BSS

43 days for me. We're usually not much more than a year from our next one. We like to travel to a variety of places each year, but I can't usually stay away from Disney much more than a year at a time.

marcteeters

Wow, we aren't in a place to go that often yet. It's been 8 years since our last trip (our honeymoon) and we actually haven't been on vacation every year. We are getting a little better off each year as we have both taken new jobs and since been promoted. However we live in a depressed area of Appalachia and it took some time and hard work to get rooted but we have taken a few regional trips and made 2 trips to Gatlinburg and one to Myrtle Beach in the last 5 years or so but I see Disney as a once every 3-5 year trip at best for us.

marcteeters

I guess one thing to ask is, how many people try to save the majority up front vs charging and paying off over time?

Anne

I wouldn't go on a vacation unless I could pay upfront. I learned the hard way in my youth that those plans to pay things off never quite work out as intended.

We plan a trip with a rough budget but never total up what we actually spent (which is always more). I don't really WANT to know.

beachta1

I feel sad if we don't have another trip in the works. We weren't planning on going back this year but with free dining and friends booked, DH said, lets do it. And I'm not going to turn down a WDW trip. With the current bounceback offer I have a feeling I'll be booking next years too... !

chitten

My goal is once a year. However, I always like to have money upfront. I even put daily cash in an envelope for spending each day. I just fill up envelopes as I save it. (I used to save $200 a day, now it is more like $300) This money is for food and whatever else. So if I have a longer trip planned like our next trip in December(10 days), it takes longer to save. We haven't been since July of 17.

stevenmilz

josh's date at akershus
We've been passholders for 7 years now and at one time were going 5 to 7 times a year (we spent 37 days in a Disney park one year). But now with kids in 6th and 4th grade and a lot of other stuff going on, we're actually not going to renew our passes. I think we'll take a couple years off from WDW and go back when Star Wars opens in DHS (or whatever it'll be called by then). We are much more into DCL crusing right now and have plans for potentially three cruises between now and next summer.

BSS

I guess one thing to ask is, how many people try to save the majority up front vs charging and paying off over time?
We went less when we were younger and when our kids were very young as we just couldn't afford it for 5 people as often. We are very fortunate now to go more often, but we still do it on a budget. I never plan a trip to anywhere without paying everything except food & incidentals up front. I tend to book early and then make a payment each month (of the total divided by the months until we go) so that I'm not paying the whole thing at the 30 day mark. It just makes it seem less painful. I usually spend cash and my Disney Visa reward dollars while we're there so I'm always within what I'm willing to spend.

D

Deleted member 832

7 days from when we fly out, though our first night we spend at the airport so we are 8 days from going to WDW
We go every 6 to 8 weeks for 4, 5 days at a time and at least once a year for 10 days (where DGD comes with us)
We charge the entire trip and pay the majority off within the month that it's charged. If any is carried over it's paid the next month.

geek1997

We now save up before. We tried the charging with a no interest deal one time and it's just that much harder to pay the bill each month when you've already been. But we don't go every year. We're on a two year plan right now because we can only currently afford one big trip a year and we'd like to get the kids to other places. But how often and how big of trip depends on my husband's bonuses. ;)

Boo

We go a couple of times a year or so, next trip is 12 days away (third trip in a 12 month period).

Everything we spend at WDW goes on a credit card for airmiles. We always pay the balance off in full once the bill arrives.

Last edited:

crumjack

Not close enough :RpS_biggrin:

We are actually 61 days out from a couples Disney Cruise. We are flying down the night before and planning to hit Trader Sams. After the cruise, DW and I are staying over for a couple days. Originally the plan was just to do MNSSHP but she persisted on wanting to squeeze in some F&W and TS Land. Not great value but she said she was paying for it with her Etsy money. Soooo, if you like custom wire mouse ears, this is a shameless plug for The Mouse Project!

marcteeters

If it gets you to Disney quicker then plug away.
Not close enough :RpS_biggrin:

We are actually 61 days out from a couples Disney Cruise. We are flying down the night before and planning to hit Trader Sams. After the cruise, DW and I are staying over for a couple days. Originally the plan was just to do MNSSHP but she persisted on wanting to squeeze in some F&W and TS Land. Not great value but she said she was paying for it with her Etsy money. Soooo, if you like custom wire mouse ears, this is a shameless plug for The Mouse Project!

magic1106

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how
Someday, in a few years.
It’s why I haven’t been on the site for a while.
Our last trip was spring 2015 with my parents. Unfortunately, their health has declined so they will not make it back and since I am their primary care giver it won’t be until they have passed that I would feel comfortable going again.
We went to Universal this past April for an engagement celebration for my son and future daughter-in-law. We relied on my siblings helping Mom and Dad and that really didn’t work out so we won’t try that again.
I don’t think I would want to go without my parents after the two amazing trips we had together.
It’s funny how your priorities change as you age.

I go every time a grandchild turns seven. I am presently six years away from my next Disney World trip because that is the year my next grandchild turns seven

For our November 2016 WDW trip, October 2017 WDW/Universal trip and upcoming October 2018 cruise, I saved everything in advance, including incidentals, by setting up an account back in October 2015 into which a set amount (increased for the 2017 trip and then for the cruise) was automatically deposited every two weeks. It was easy and stress free. Yes, due to the reduced amount of income, sacrifices were made (ie. less eating out) but it was worth it and I am going to continue the same strategy for our future June 2020 Universal park/Dream cruise trip.

Last edited:

marcteeters

I might have overdid it. I was looking at 3 adults, 6 value resort days, 5 day park hoppers, and dining and it came up to a little over $3600, does that seem like a decent deal? Granted I'm just using it as a reference to know roughly what I need.

I might have overdid it. I was looking at 3 adults, 6 value resort days, 5 day park hoppers, and dining and it came up to a little over $3600, does that seem like a decent deal? Granted I'm just using it as a reference to know roughly what I need.
Is that 6 days or nights?

Don't forget to budget for travel expenses, souvenir spending, ect