How Close To Your Next Trip Are You?

BSS

Your $3600 seems reasonable without travel if you're staying at a value and can get a decent discount.

There are only two of us for this October, but 5 nights at Pop with 6 day Park Hoppers was $1800 for the two of us. I'll take $1000 for food/incidentals, but for the same time last year we actually spent $950 for food/incidentals which included meals at The Boathouse and Le Cellier among other table service meals and all other meals and some souvenirs. We also do MNSSHP when we go in October and this year we are doing the Toy Story EMM so those are added expenses that you may or may not choose to add.

cboyer

We are 22 days away. Yay! And to answer your question, we always have the cash for the entire trip before we book. I wouldn't feel comfortable otherwise. But we do that with everything.

As for your pricing, it sounds about right. If you are planning on driving as well you can cut costs by bringing food and such. There was a women on these boards a few years ago that had a blog about doing disney cheaply. From what I remember they would stay in a value, bring down food with them, things like cans of soup, peanutbutter and jelly, etc. That they could make in the hotel room or pack and bring to the park with them. There are ways to do Disney cheap, or at least not as expensive. To get to your goal faster you might want to look into some of those options.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
We seem to be in the (lucky) minority, because we just charge everything (points!) and paying off the credit card each month. We've never had to worry about budget or availability of funds.

The only financial dealing we do is if we sell our DVC points to fund an occasional stay at The Four Seasons. Usually the points sold for a DVC Studio nets us enough to cover a discounted Four Seasons stay, which should give you an idea of the premium that Disney charges for the privilege to be in The Bubble.

cboyer

We seem to be in the (lucky) minority, because we just charge everything (points!) and paying off the credit card each month. We've never had to worry about budget or availability of funds.

The only financial dealing we do is if we sell our DVC points to fund an occasional stay at The Four Seasons. Usually the points sold for a DVC Studio nets us enough to cover a discounted Four Seasons stay, which should give you an idea of the premium that Disney charges for the privilege to be in The Bubble.
I don't look at it as a "need" to budget or worry about the funds, more my insane need to be in control of everything leads me to account for every penny of what we are doing with what. DH rolls his eyes at me all the time, but I honestly don't know how people function without a budget. It would drive me insane, probably how my budgeting drives normal people insane. Not joking, I have a 8 tab spreadsheet for my budget, I actually find it relaxing. Its the type A math nerd in me, can't help it. Its the same drive that leads me to fiddle with our touring plans a million times even though I know when we get to the park I will change it on the fly, its fun to make the plans and having a plan makes me feel better.

All about me

I might have overdid it. I was looking at 3 adults, 6 value resort days, 5 day park hoppers, and dining and it came up to a little over $3600, does that seem like a decent deal? Granted I'm just using it as a reference to know roughly what I need.
In on December 7th out on the 12th.
So only four full days. Unless you can squeeze another full day by arriving really early the first day or leaving really late the last day, I think I would add a night to take full advantage of the five day park hopper tickets.

I am not sure if you are looking for a rough budget for a less expensive trip in order to go sooner or just a general budget for sometime in the future. Also be aware prices go up each year. Our 2016 one adult, one child, six nights at a value resort with five single-park tickets each would now be almost $200 more.

Last edited:

BSS

Oh I still charge it for the points and pay it off each month. I just do it in installments before the trip. I could afford to pay it all at once, it just hurts less if I don't. :RpS_biggrin:

Kasha

Over two years away! We're not heading back until November 2020. Waiting until Star Wars land is opened before our next trip.
We already have trips to Rome and Jamaica planned to keep us going until the next WDW trip. :)

marcteeters

Our TA recommended looking into the gap between Thanksgiving and Christmas as a good time to go.
Over two years away! We're not heading back until November 2020. Waiting until Star Wars land is opened before our next trip.
We already have trips to Rome and Jamaica planned to keep us going until the next WDW trip. :)
Sent from my Z965 using Tapatalk

3dadknight

136.5 hours until my flight lands at MCO. I will end up spending way too much money adding days to previously purchased tickets, renewing APs, and upgrading to new ones in advance of the real budget busting trip at New Year’s with 8 people total. I don’t like to think about the amount of money we spend on Disney trips. We are very thankful that we are able to go as much as much as we do. We used to scratch and save for each trip and completely understand the budgeting and saving for those too infrequent trips. It may sound crazy, but as I think about it, WDW may have been the single biggest motivator outside of family responsibilities (kid’s education, house, food, etc) for my wife and I to work as hard as we have to get where we are today. Now THAT’S some real magic. Motivate someone who has modest means to work harder, earn more money and give it to you. I took it hook, line and sinker, but don’t mind at all.

marcteeters

I feel you, me and my wife both took promotions and our employees are driving us nuts but we keep talking about how much quicker we will get to Disney
136.5 hours until my flight lands at MCO. I will end up spending way too much money adding days to previously purchased tickets, renewing APs, and upgrading to new ones in advance of the real budget busting trip at New Year’s with 8 people total. I don’t like to think about the amount of money we spend on Disney trips. We are very thankful that we are able to go as much as much as we do. We used to scratch and save for each trip and completely understand the budgeting and saving for those too infrequent trips. It may sound crazy, but as I think about it, WDW may have been the single biggest motivator outside of family responsibilities (kid’s education, house, food, etc) for my wife and I to work as hard as we have to get where we are today. Now THAT’S some real magic. Motivate someone who has modest means to work harder, earn more money and give it to you. I took it hook, line and sinker, but don’t mind at all.
Sent from my Z965 using Tapatalk

nolarookie

This is us too

ChristineOH

I don't have another trip planned. To Disney or to anywhere. :-( We will go in 2022 with the high school band, but I hope we can also go sooner. We have no plans for a summer vacation in 2019, and I hate it! I need to plan something.

capeokw56

Someday, in a few years.
It’s why I haven’t been on the site for a while.
Our last trip was spring 2015 with my parents. Unfortunately, their health has declined so they will not make it back and since I am their primary care giver it won’t be until they have passed that I would feel comfortable going again.
We went to Universal this past April for an engagement celebration for my son and future daughter-in-law. We relied on my siblings helping Mom and Dad and that really didn’t work out so we won’t try that again.
I don’t think I would want to go without my parents after the two amazing trips we had together.
It’s funny how your priorities change as you age.
I don't think that I quite have the words to tell you how fortunate you are. We always tried to get my folks to go to WDW with us and our kids. But it never worked out and now they're gone. I'm happy for you that you've had 2 amazing trips with your parents and hopefully you'll go back to WDW and have wonderful memories of them, even if they are bittersweet.

kmc8826

I don't think that I quite have the words to tell you how fortunate you are. We always tried to get my folks to go to WDW with us and our kids. But it never worked out and now they're gone. I'm happy for you that you've had 2 amazing trips with your parents and hopefully you'll go back to WDW and have wonderful memories of them, even if they are bittersweet.
Thank you for this. My parents are coming with us in our trip late October. I need to get an attitude adjustment about it. I was on the phone with IT for an hour this week because my dad being my dad had his own disney account with no one linked and I couldn’t make FP’s for him. BUT it is so good they want to come with us and honestly I don’t know how long they will be. My Mom was diagnosed with Parkinson’s this year and I don’t know how long relative good health and mobile will last. See now I am talking myself into booking the Halloween Party when I just said I wasn’t going too in the other thread...

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
See now I am talking myself into booking the Halloween Party when I just said I wasn’t going too in the other thread...
More doesn’t mean better. You’re already going to be together. FOCUS!
-The Voice of Reason.