How Many FASTPASSES Does One Really Need?

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
The one consistent lament about the impending FP+ system seems to be that you won't be able to have nearly enough of them (the consensus so far is three), which will certainly affect the quality and quantity of possible attractions possible during any given day.

I, for one, really like the idea of being able to reserve some headliners for times of the day during which I ordinarily wouldn't ever hope of visiting and, by extension, leaving myself open to those new experiences and unplanned bursts of fun that usually end up being the best memories from each trip.

Is most of the anxiety growing from the need to do something differently than we have in the past? Hopping to another park for dinner and a few headliners early in the evening sounds like it'll be lots of relaxing and stress-free fun. Or enjoying a park in mid- to late-afternoon, which i never do now, will be a whole lot lf fun. The proliferation of new FP-enabled fill-in attractions poses little or no threat to most of us here on the Boards; we tend to plan our trips so we'll know where we'll be, within reason, at 1:40PM on a Thursday four months from now.

ChristineOH

On our recent trip, two days we got four FPs. One of those days, we only used three sets. The other days we used three or less. On one DHS day, we only used one. So I guess, no, it's not so much about the number, since we rarely use more than three.

I guess my concerns are more about the inability to get more FPs based upon plans that inevitably change. Yes, we can do some great planning ahead of time and enjoy not having to mess with the back and forth of getting FPs and returning to use them. However, my daughter claimed to not even want to ride EE. My son wanted to, but had never been before. We got a FP, everyone rode, everyone loved it, and boom, we grab another FP so we can do it again. I think it will be sad to lose that spontaneity.

I also don't see how they will distribute the FP+ in a way that I can be sure to get my top three choices.

But there is no sense in worrying about it now. It seems so far from finalization.

George

I guess my concerns are more about the inability to get more FPs based upon plans that inevitably change. Yes, we can do some great planning ahead of time and enjoy not having to mess with the back and forth of getting FPs and returning to use them. However, my daughter claimed to not even want to ride EE. My son wanted to, but had never been before. We got a FP, everyone rode, everyone loved it, and boom, we grab another FP so we can do it again. I think it will be sad to lose that spontaneity.

I also don't see how they will distribute the FP+ in a way that I can be sure to get my top three choices.
But that's my point. The spontaneous needn't always apply to rides. If you hadn't ridden EE again, maybe you'd have encountered DiVine? Or gotten into Flights of Wonder? Imagine the good times you may have missed in exchange for boasting rights about having floated past colorfully-dressed singing dolls.

DisneySmiles

I sort of agree with you George. I think people are worked up about a number that, if they think about it, is probably no less than what they typically use anyway. For Epcot, AK and HS, we don't use more than three. MK we sometimes do, but I think I can probably make it work. The biggest drawback I see though is the availability to get the 3 FPs you actually need. As someone who has been many times I certainly haven't seen everything, but our trips have allowed us to enjoy many spontaneous moments. While those are magical, I also want to be sure that we can do our favorite things too.

We go at slow times and as an example, we FP/walk on TSM. We also walk on to RnRC and Star Tours. Sometimes TT is walk on, other times we FP it. Once our first TSM FP comes up we grab another for early afternoon. So basically we only use 2, maybe 3, but they are for TSMx2 and TT. Since those will be popular FPs, I just wonder how the availability will work. If they only allow you certain ones in certain categories, like some of the testing they did, that will mean it might not even be possible to get a TSM and a TT FP.

nolarookie

I like the idea of being able to have a reserved FP for rides like BTMRR so you don't have to go all the way there, get FPs, do something else, then go back. I think you'll be able to tour more efficiently. But is it certain that the regular FP system is going away?

Marianna

I'll be interested in seeing how this works out for my situation. As a local AP holder, I don't always plan in advance. I know I'm to be given the same 60 day out options ( or so I understand), but sometimes I decide if I'm going to WDW with the 6:00am alarm. I'm guessing there will still be day of FP's available. Curious to see how they offer that and if arriving at RD on the spur of the moment will still get me a few FP's just as now.

blyday

tests unsafe roller coasts in china
I'm so with you on this George. I think that the biggest issue that most are having is that they are no going to be forced to either stand in a line or not do the same ride multiple times in a day. But....the exchange for that will be discovering new things that they have never tried before because of doing the same attraction 3 or 4 times instead. This new system opens us all up to seeing more of WDW.....which to me is a good thing. The more and more I think about the new system.....the more and more excited I am about it. The love the idea of taking a nice afternoon break after a fun morning of touring and either returning to the same park or hopping to a new one knowing that I already have a couple of attractions set up to ride with FP.

Sure.....some flexibility is lost but on the other hand.....some is gained. And quite honestly.....I do like the idea of maybe having a more relaxing day where we sleep in a bit and that is fine because we already have FPs for that day. Epcot and AK could very easily become my later days since a FP for TT and Soarin' should be able to be reserved in advance as well as EE and the Safari. MK and HS RDs will honestly have the ability to be even more magical since honestly....there will be less people worrying about getting there for RD since they will have FPs for later in the day....so we will be left with those who really still like to optimize that morning and those few "late planners" who got stuck with the AM FPs.

So I'm really excited about the new changes. And actually.....rather disappointed that they didn't come out soon enough for us to start using them this upcoming August.

Micah008

I agree 100% with George for everywhere except Magic Kingdom. We rarely use more than 3 in a day anyway, at the other 3 parks.

But, even at MK, you can get a lot done in the morning without any Fastpasses and then tour smart after that, using the Fastpasses you setup before (see Josh's latest post). I feel like they could give 4 at MK and it would help, just due to the number of rides.

The only thing it may impact a little re-riding the same rides over and over. No TSMM 7 times anymore... but I do see that as a good thing in most cases.

Momofpirates

Before our recent trip, I would have said there is no way 3 was enough, or even 4. This trip, we decided to be more laid back to a point, and enjoy the things we WERE able to do, insted of trying to cram in as many rides as humanly possible and making that the focus of the trip. We did use 4 fp on our last MK day, but other than that, three would have been fine. We made rd every day, but if we had been more diligent, gotten there earlier and not been so far back at the turnstiles, we would have done just a little better a couple of days.

We spent much more time playing in the pool and at the water parks this trips, but we still did all the attractions we wanted to (except JTA, thanks to TS Andrea), two or three times on our favorites, and we didn't wait more than 30 minutes for anything. Except Pirates, we did wait 40 minutes for that during a thunderstorms, but it was indoors.

Disneyfan

I want all the fastpasses.
I'm with you! We only get to go every three years or so. When we are able to go, it is during the busy seasons. So 1 FP to BTMR, 1 FP to Tea Cups, and 1 FP to Swiss Family Robinson Tree House just doesn't sound appealing. If you were able to get 3 FPs to headliners, I wouldn't mind.

ChristineOH

I'm with you! We only get to go every three years or so. When we are able to go, it is during the busy seasons. So 1 FP to BTMR, 1 FP to Tea Cups, and 1 FP to Swiss Family Robinson Tree House just doesn't sound appealing. If you were able to get 3 FPs to headliners, I wouldn't mind.
Yeah, that is how I'm picturing it. I like Brenda's optimistic thinking that we will all get to FP Test Track AND Soarin', but I really don't think that is how it will be.

I know you were being kind of extreme with the above examples to make a point, but even a not so extreme example would be for you to get: FP Space Mountain, FP BOG lunch, FP Jungle Cruise. That lunch FP would be nice, but we don't have access to FPs for Buzz, BTMRR, PP, Princesses, etc. You would have to plan your touring around the attractions for which you don't get FP+. A ride like Splash Mountain becomes a desirable FP, because you can knock out Buzz, PP, BTMRR, etc. quickly at rope drop, while Splash is a long ride that takes up valuable morning touring time. Your only option for the rides you don't get FPs for is to hit them early, or be stuck waiting in the standby line. Or skip them.

I guess ultimately, it won't change our touring all that much. Rope drop will still be important to get those rides you didn't get FP+ for. You just won't need a FP runner anymore.

LizD

Netflix queue currently at 3,912 - all Disney rela
I totally agree. BUT I was starting to wonder if my "eh, it'll all work out" attitude was because of my naivete. Glad to hear that the experts think this way too. There are so many potential lovely experiences at WDW that missing one thing will just free us up to experience something else.

Really, I think that's why some people who do no planning end up coming home and saying they still had a wonderful time. They don't notice that they "missed" things because they just enjoyed what they did see!

Jenny

selling josh for fastpasses
We're currently driving home from WDW, and with the busy summer, I had no trouble picking up fp before lunch for use after beak. It was nice, but I still want morning fp, too. Also, there were many times I'd pick up a fp in the evening 40 minutes out, for a ride with a posted 35 minute wait. It was nice to grab a fp, see the tiki room, get a drink, and then do jc.

Disneyfan

Christine, I do tend to exaggerate sometimes. I have no idea what Disney's plans are for FP+. I really love most rides at WDW including tea cups and the tree house. But FPs work so well on the popular ones. Even during busy times, we got lucky with FPs sometimes. We got a FP for Buzz, took a ride on the People Mover, had a much needed snack, and our Buzz FP was ready. DH and DS had luck a couple times getting a RnRC FP, then took a ride or two on TT, and then the RnRC FPs were ready. It will all work out though. I'm not worried, I just would rather things stay the way they are. I can enjoy the little and unexpected things in the evening when the afternoon break is over.

rebelbuddhist

For us, the concern is not any limit to the number of fastpasses but the tiering so that one can only get one fastpass a day for each of the headliners. For example, we don't do most of the thrill rides so at HS we are only interested in fast passes for TSMM. It is nice to be able to get two or three for that ride during the day. But under what is being suggested Fast Pass + will turn out to be, that won't be possible. Glad that our July trip we won't have to worry about Fast Pass + and maybe not even during our December trip!

vatmark

wears a coca-cola shirt to club cool just in case
For me also I don't think it is about the number you get but the tiering. I also think Disney is getting to the point of no flexibility what so ever. After being at Universal and having so much more flexibility with where to eat and riding rides whenever because of express pass it really makes all of Disneys having to have ADR's made 180 days in advance and now add in having to have reservations for rides I have to say it is a drag! My kids are teens now so most of the rides they like are more thrill type. We have no interest in TSM or Dumbo or meeting characters. With FP+ I think we will end up with 1 FP for something we really want to ride and then 2 others for things that in the past didn't even need a FP. Many times we were able to ride RnR 3+ times or ToT 3+ times by getting to the park at RD and using FP. Once FP+ is implemented who knows. Plus we stay offsite at Disney so who knows if offsite guests will end up with less FP choices or don't get to schedule their rides as soon as on site guests. So we will either be left with crappy times or crappy rides to choose from. None of it sounds appealing to me.

Ann

George

With FP+ I think we will end up with 1 FP for something we really want to ride and then 2 others for things that in the past didn't even need a FP.
FWIW, during our last 8-day trip, we were with a friend, so we toured so that she could see as much as possible, as she was practically a newbie, not having been to WDW for at least 15 years. We went to the parks every day, did all the headliners without FPs (early morning, late in the day), and only used FPs once for Soarin', (because we did TT first), and once for things we wanted to do over again (TSMM). We didn't wait more than 10 minutes for anything the entire week by concentrating our headliner attractions in the early morning and the couple hours before park close. Many things we did multiple times, like HM, Buzz, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, ToT. We didn't use FP at all at MK or AK.

With a great plan, FPs are almost entirely unnecessary.

vatmark

wears a coca-cola shirt to club cool just in case
FWIW, during our last 8-day trip, we were with a friend, so we toured so that she could see as much as possible, as she was practically a newbie, not having been to WDW for at least 15 years. We went to the parks every day, did all the headliners without FPs (early morning, late in the day), and only used FPs once for Soarin', (because we did TT first), and once for things we wanted to do over again (TSMM). We didn't wait more than 10 minutes for anything the entire week by concentrating our headliner attractions in the early morning and the couple hours before park close. Many things we did multiple times, like HM, Buzz, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, ToT. We didn't use FP at all at MK or AK.

With a great plan, FPs are almost entirely unnecessary.

Could I ask you what time of year this is? We normally go in June and it is crowded.

I'm sure things will work out in the end. I guess I just don't like change. I didn't like the FP return time being enforced and that worked out fine in the end. We have no plans of going back any time soon. Hopefully by the time we do go back the whole FP+ will be worked out.

Ann

Janine

this site is awesome. i've never visited, but i l
My preference? To go back to when they didn't enforce return times for FPs.:RpS_tongue:
Now that they do, I probably don't use more than 3, except its 3 headliners, not a headliner and some anytime attractions.

To me, it makes RD that much more important, because it'll be the only time to do all the headliners, since I won't be able to FP+ them all.

I do wonder what FP+ will do to the fillers, or currently non-FP attractions. Once lines have formed and I've used all my FP+, when I turn to the 'anytime' attractions, will there now be longer lines because they'll be FP+ riders. Eh, now that I think about it...probably not.