How Many FASTPASSES Does One Really Need?

blyday

tests unsafe roller coasts in china
I think so too. It's just a reservation. People understand what those are. Compare that to the amount of messaging/education Disney has to provide to explain how FP works to its guests---the planning DVD, Resort TV, park map descriptions, etc. Think back to when *you* were a newbie, and just learning about FP. If you use a planning site, you probably read *pages* about it.
I think so too. And the truth is.....I believe that is exactly what Disney is trying for. They are limiting the number simply to make more available for the "regular" masses. And, when you get an email telling you that you can do online check in and start making your FP reservations....well....there will be a whole group of people jumping on the band wagon.

Strangeite

I understood, Strangeite, :) I was just tossing the dictionary into the conversations, maybe just to needle you a bit.

This is an interesting conversation because it will affect "planners" like those here on EasyWDW more than your average guest. I suspect that it will force many of us to re-evaluate why we tour the way we do. Do we devise an itinerary based on crowd calendars, develop touring plans to maximise FP usage, get up early for RD, etc., because that is the most enjoyable way for us to vacation, or is it because it scratches a particular itch knowing that we are doing things "better" than the average guest?

Disney hasn't dropped a billion and half dollars (more than it cost to build Epcot) for nothing.

Marianna

I just go when it's sunny. ;)

Seriously, I agree. We'll all have to re-evaluate. I imagine the initial rollout will also be tweaked as Disney does it's own re-evaluation of how to meet it's own needs.

This is costing over a billion? Really?

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure there will be ways to take advantage of the new system just like there were ways to take advantage of the old one.

When current FASTPASS was announced, it wasn't like they came out and said FASTPASSes could be used anytime after the window opens or when Dumbo moves and Barnstormer is re-themed that they will be disconnected.

clanmcculloch

expert on dietary needs and disney dining
Yup, people will adjust. As Brian said, according to the internet, ALL CHANGE IS BAD.

I'll be interested in seeing how this works out for my situation. As a local AP holder, I don't always plan in advance. I know I'm to be given the same 60 day out options ( or so I understand), but sometimes I decide if I'm going to WDW with the 6:00am alarm. I'm guessing there will still be day of FP's available. Curious to see how they offer that and if arriving at RD on the spur of the moment will still get me a few FP's just as now.
I can't speak to how all locals will feel (heck I'm not even a local), but if it was me, I'd just be looking at those last minute days as an opportunity to do the little things I often skip over. Sure I'd check for last minute FPs of my favourite attractions and I'd try to hit the park in time for RD and go to my favourites at that time but after those first couple hours, I'd just take in the atmosphere and enjoy all the filler activities. It's not like I wouldn't be going back another time without the opportunity to plan or I wouldn't be going back for another RD day where I can hit other headliners I didn't get to go to that day.

DisneySmiles

I think so too. And the truth is.....I believe that is exactly what Disney is trying for. They are limiting the number simply to make more available for the "regular" masses. And, when you get an email telling you that you can do online check in and start making your FP reservations....well....there will be a whole group of people jumping on the band wagon.
I'm not so sure though. I currently get emails reminding me to make my dining reservations/check in online and look how many people have no idea about that. People on a whole just don't pay attention. My neighbor just got back and I had to explain to him before his trip that he wouldn't be able to just walk up and get a table for 12. Us ubber planners log in at 180+10, others will make some closer to their trip, then there is another group doesn't even realize they need ADRs for TS and end up eating CS and finally there is the group that doesn't want to plan ahead and wants flexibility.

At 60 days, the major planners will be grabbing up all of the "good" FPs, while non planners who do decide to use FP+ will eventually log on a few days/weeks before their trip (not knowing there is a sense of urgency when they recieve their email) and book Stitch because that is all that is left.

When the "good" restaurants are gone for the non planners or late planners it isn't that big of a deal because for the most part Disney food is Disney food and they don't really know what they are missing. But when they start touring the parks and realize all of their "magic" FPs are for rides that have no lines anyway and they can't get on more popular rides without a huge wait, I think the strategy behind FP+ could backfire. It's like Disney is promising them low waits and then not delivering. At least with the current system, they go in knowing there will be waits.

I actually think it will work fairly well for us planners and as Josh said I think there will definitely be loopholes and strategies. I'm actually looking forward to utilizing RD and afternoon FPs without having to FPV. It also makes me more willing to go at busier times because with proper planning I know I can do RD, get in our favorites on FP+, and then just enjoy fillers and atmosphere. It should be an interesting few months as this finally starts to unfold.

ChristineOH

I wonder how WDW is going to reach the "non-planners" and use FP+ to improve their experiences via a method that requires MORE planning, of which they are doing none.

On-site guests might get emails, but what about off-site guests? Will all on-site guests even bother with an itinerary and ride plan two months out?

Even if they save some FP+ slots for same day reservations, will all of us planners snatch them up? Will we be on our smartphones at 6:00 am (fictional example) trying to trade our assigned ToT FP for a TSMM one when the window opens?

Strangeite

There is a component to this that hasn't been addressed yet in this thread. I believe it was Josh that theorized that one priority of NextGen in general and Fastpass+ in particular, is for a more homogenized distribution of crowds throughout the parks. Example: Your in the park and suddenly your phone beeps at you. Surprise! You have been issued a bonus Fastpass to ride Pirates. Your scheduled window is from 11:30 to 12:30.

Now most people will look at this as some extra pixie dust and head over to Adventure Land around 11:30. Of course, Disney can then utilize this system to gently move crowds around the park to maximize efficiency.

I am not an expert, but there has been some very interesting work done in the last 5 years on creating very sophisticated mathematical models of human swarm behavior and crowd dynamics. Dollars to donuts that some of that 1.5 to 2 billion dollars has been spent on mathematicians.

Marianna

My father hates WDW because he say's it's like being herded around like a bunch of cattle. That was his thoughts back in 1971 when the park opened. So much so now. I agree, the bands will definitely allow them to move the crowds around to where they desire, with little bits of "sugar". Most people won't even realize it's happening.

It would be so interesting to get an insider look at this side of WDW.

ChristineOH

There is a component to this that hasn't been addressed yet in this thread. I believe it was Josh that theorized that one priority of NextGen in general and Fastpass+ in particular, is for a more homogenized distribution of crowds throughout the parks. Example: Your in the park and suddenly your phone beeps at you. Surprise! You have been issued a bonus Fastpass to ride Pirates. Your scheduled window is from 11:30 to 12:30.

Now most people will look at this as some extra pixie dust and head over to Adventure Land around 11:30. Of course, Disney can then utilize this system to gently move crowds around the park to maximize efficiency.
I think this would be a win-win for WDW and most guests.

My husband works in logistics, and while we are not going to up and move to FL, he thinks working in logistics at WDW would be really interesting. Would they have some system like air traffic control orchestrating the parks?

vatmark

wears a coca-cola shirt to club cool just in case
So Disney is doing this for the non planners? Are the non planners all of a sudden going to start planning? Most of them don't decide which park they are going to until that morning. Now all of a sudden they are going to plan ahead which parks they will be which days and which rides at what times they will want? I think this will be like anything else. It will be more of an inconvenience for the planners and the non planners will make no ride reservations just like most make no ADR's and wonder why they can't get into restaurants. Maybe Disney should start having people make a reservation for the park they want to be at on a certain day. They could control crowds that way right? No reservation no park entry. :RpS_tongue:

Ann

Marianna

I don't know that they are doing it for anyone other than theirselves. I think they are trying to get everyone on the field and in the game.

I agree, it could be a win-win. Reservations aside, I am looking forward to seeing how it works out.

Backtracking a bit; Trudy, usually on a spur of the moment It's because I want to ride a couple of mountains and have lunch, or something sort of specific. I might start at one park at RD, grab a FP and ride a couple of things, then head to another park, grab a FP for an hour or two out. Have lunch, chill and ride. We'll see if that will still be possible.

Ann, I'm thinking if I don't put enough bling on my bracelet, the scanner will flag me and I'll be out of the pixie dust loop for sure! :))

Last edited:

Strangeite

There is now no doubt in my mind that the primary motivation behind the MagicBand and Fastpass+ is better crowd distribution in the parks.

Most of the discussion behind the MagicBand has been the RFID chip. This would be the chip that the mickey heads read when you are entering the parks and attractions. But apparently Thomas Staggs was at D11 (not sure how I missed hearing about that) where he talked about the technology behind the MagicBand. Here is an article.

The important takeaway from the D11 conference is that the MagicBand also contains Bluetooth. That is huge. It also means that each MagicBand contains a battery.

My guess is that Disney is utilizing the Bluetooth low energy (BLE) protocol that became a standard in 2011. The benefit of the new protocol is that it uses very little energy (a small button battery could power a device for months or years) but most of the benefits of classic bluetooth. What does that mean for us? Passive RFID chips have a range of a couple of inches to at best 3 feet. BLE has a range of 160 feet.

Disney isn't going to just be able to track crowds when the enter each attraction, but they are going to know when and where your sitting on the curb waiting for a parade to start. They are going to know that you spent 15 minutes in the Rapunzel bathrooms. They are going to know that you took the bridge into Frontierland from the hub versus arriving via Adventureland.

And all of this data will be in realtime.

Strangeite

I don't know if anyone cares, but I took a look at the FCC filing for the MagicBand and pulled the model number for the chip. Unless things have changed since the initial filing (and I can't find an updated one) then the bluetooth chip is not an off the shelf part, but a chip designed in house. That is surprising. Even Apple, famous for designing their own chips in house, utilizes an off the shelf chip (Broadcom) for the iPhone, iPad and iPod.

gccmedina

i feel like i am going to be a little sheep lead around the parks by the wrist. i swear there was a movie just like this and it involved aliens... maybe stitch is behind this

Strangeite

I better remember to wear this thing on my left wrist. :RpS_blushing:
If the MagicBand has a tiny accelerometer in it, then I'm out.

Although it would be fun to drive the computer system nuts by having your MagicBand do some crazy things. A person could have some fun messing with this new toy.