How Many FASTPASSES Does One Really Need?

bnoble

he's right
For those of you that keep saying that you don't need FP to enjoy the parks, when do you go to Disney?
I've been several different times of year, including some busy ones (third week of July, several different President's Weeks).

I think it is interesting that in discussing FP+ the reaction is to make the case that Fastpasses just aren't needed in order to see the positive side of this program. So whether you are pro, anti or just don't care about FP+, it seems that everyone agrees that this, good or bad, kills fastpass touring in a fashion.
No, that's not true at all. The fact that you can have a perfectly fine time with *no* virtual queueing does not mean that "fastpass touring is gone." You won't get more than three "reserved" opportunities per day, but you *will* get three, and if you are an advance planner you will get three at "more popular" attractions at "better" times. You might have had more in the past, and if so you will have fewer now, but virtual queueing is not dead.

Furthermore, it's not accurate to say that I am "pro" FP+. Instead, I accept it. It doesn't matter how any of us feel about it---it is going to happen, in more or less the form we all expect. If I got to choose just for my own benefit, I would choose the current system, because it better rewards those "in the know" at the expense of those not in the know. But, it's not hard to imagine that that is one of the main reasons Disney is moving to the new system, to level the playing field.

dirtnap101

Interesting new wording in the FAQ for FP+:

"The total number of FastPass+ experiences available to you during your visit depends on several factors including availability and the vacation packages and tickets linked to your Disney account. Generally, FastPass+ eligible Guests are able to select one set of FastPass+ experiences each day for every valid theme park ticket linked to their account. Depending on availability, you should be able to reserve access to up to 4 FastPass+ attractions and entertainment experiences each day."

Micah008

A few more quotes from the FAQ: (bold added by me for emphasis)

Q. How many FastPass+ experiences am I allowed to reserve access to for each day and for my entire vacation?

A. The total number of FastPass+ experiences available to you during your visit depends on several factors including availability and the vacation packages and tickets linked to your Disney account. Generally, FastPass+ eligible Guests are able to select one set of FastPass+ experiences each day for every valid theme park ticket linked to their account.

Depending on availability, you should be able to reserve access to up to 4 FastPass+ attractions and entertainment experiences each day.

Q. Can I select more than one FASTPASS+ attraction?

A. Yes. You can reserve access to multiple FastPass+ attractions or entertainment experiences—the specific number depends on availability. In general, you will be able to select up to 4 FastPass+ attractions and entertainment experiences each day at one theme park. For extra convenience, you can even make selections up to 60 days in advance of your visit.

Q. I am FastPass+ eligible, but I did not reserve access to FastPass+ attractions in advance. When I arrive at the theme park, can I still get FASTPASS tickets?

A. No. If you are FastPass+ eligible and you entered the park with a ticket linked to My Disney Experience by using your MagicBand or card, you are not able to use FASTPASS service.

But don’t worry! If FastPass+ experiences are still available, you can reserve access to FastPass+ attractions and entertainment online with your mobile phone or at a FastPass+ kiosk when you arrive at the park.

If you are not FastPass+ eligible, you are still eligible to use FASTPASS service. All FASTPASS tickets are subject to availability and are distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Q. Can I use both FASTPASS service and FastPass+ service during one theme park visit?

A. No. While FASTPASS service and FastPass+ service are both currently available, if you are FastPass+ eligible and you entered the park with a ticket linked to My Disney Experience by using your MagicBand or card, then you are not able to use FASTPASS service.

vatmark

wears a coca-cola shirt to club cool just in case
I've been several different times of year, including some busy ones (third week of July, several different President's Weeks).

No, that's not true at all. The fact that you can have a perfectly fine time with *no* virtual queueing does not mean that "fastpass touring is gone." You won't get more than three "reserved" opportunities per day, but you *will* get three, and if you are an advance planner you will get three at "more popular" attractions at "better" times. You might have had more in the past, and if so you will have fewer now, but virtual queueing is not dead.

Furthermore, it's not accurate to say that I am "pro" FP+. Instead, I accept it. It doesn't matter how any of us feel about it---it is going to happen, in more or less the form we all expect. If I got to choose just for my own benefit, I would choose the current system, because it better rewards those "in the know" at the expense of those not in the know. But, it's not hard to imagine that that is one of the main reasons Disney is moving to the new system, to level the playing field.
Wouldn't it have just been easier to inform people and push the original FP system? What makes you think that those not in the know as far as the original FP system will now be in the know with the new system?

Ann

vatmark

I'm wondering if onsite guests will get 60+10 sort of like the ADR system with the 180+10. If that is the case those who stay offsite will most likely not get any headliners at the parks.

Ann

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I'm wondering if onsite guests will get 60+10 sort of like the ADR system with the 180+10. If that is the case those who stay offsite will most likely not get any headliners at the parks.

Ann
I somehow doubt that the thousands of FPs available for any given attraction are going to book up at 60(+) days. Many people don't even know which park they're going to until the morning of. And then they get in line at MS Bakery as soon as they enter the park.

I think we're overthinking this more than a bit.

vatmark

I somehow doubt that the thousands of FPs available for any given attraction are going to book up at 60(+) days. Many people don't even know which park they're going to until the morning of. And then they get in line at MS Bakery as soon as they enter the park.

I think we're overthinking this more than a bit.[/

I have a feeling that most people are going to try and book the later time slots for headliners. I don't want to get stuck with a 9:30 am time slot for a headliner. I'm hoping that those not in the know stay that way. :RpS_wink: I don't have any trips booked at this time but hopefully by the time I do FP+ strategys will be worked out.

Ann

josh

Administrator
Staff member
The thing about FASTPASS as it stands is that fewer people are using them in the morning because fewer people are around and distribution doesn't start giving times until around 9:40am. Thus, standby waits are typically short. But if FASTPASS+ starts running full steam at 9am, that morning touring is going to be slowed down quite a bit as you'll have the same number of people in line with FASTPASSes at 9:30am as you do at 4:30pm. That's probably my biggest concern. Second is how FP+ will affect rides that didn't have it previously, particularly at Magic Kingdom with Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.

F

fizboBunny

I hope FP+ doesn't do to Disney rides what the dining plan did to Disney dining.

bnoble

he's right
What makes you think that those not in the know as far as the original FP system will now be in the know with the new system?
That wasn't my point. My point was that those who exploit the current system to its fullest now will have fewer FP+ opportunities going forward. That makes more FP+ reservations available to those who don't currently exploit the system---they have to go somewhere. In the limit, if those "other" guests get *no* additional FP+ reservations, it will mean fewer guests using FP/FP+ Return lines, which will slightly speed the Standby lines.

However, I do think the FP+ system will be more accessible to the average guest, because the FP+ model is just like a restaurant or hotel reservation. People get that, and it's much more natural than the physical ticket-distribution system that FP uses. At least, it seems that way to me. What's more, it's easier to use, because it doesn't involve trekking around at specific times during your park visit day. At least, it is for anyone with access to the internet at home, which I would assume comprises the vast majority of all WDW guests.

But if FASTPASS+ starts running full steam at 9am, that morning touring is going to be slowed down quite a bit as you'll have the same number of people in line with FASTPASSes at 9:30am as you do at 4:30pm.
I'm going to guess that this won't be as big of a problem as you suspect. People might make some early FP+ reservations, but (a) most guests will try and get later times because they won't want to get up (and might prefer reserving "lesser" attractions in exchange for later times) and (b) some of those who end up with early times will inevitably be late getting to the park.

Second is how FP+ will affect rides that didn't have it previously, particularly at Magic Kingdom with Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.
There will certainly be an impact. How large is open to question, and depends on many factors.

vatmark

I think those of us who are planners will book 60 days in advance. I think those who are not which are the majority of people will wait until they are in the park of their choice to book their rides. Most people do not know what park they will go to which day and will decide that morning. Those in the know will still end up with the upper hand by getting the headliners at 60 days before their trip. Who knows how many time slots for headliners will be available for those who wait until they are in the park to book. Yes those of us who have maximized FP in the past will have less FP's. I don't think it will ever be a level playing field. Unless of course Disney decides to hold back time slots for headliners so people who book when they get to the park will have something but then again those who booked 60 days in advance could still snag a headliner from these slots that were saved for same day booking if they weren't able to get it with early booking. I guess time will tell.

Ann

bnoble

he's right
Sure, there will still be an advantage. But, you will be limited to three (or, now maybe four) FP+ reservations per day, in only one park, and I'll bet a dozen Mickeybars that you won't be able to make all three (or four) on headliners. So, less of an advantage, and "more level", but not fully so.

That's okay from Disney's perspective. If they can increase overall guest satisfaction---even if some people are less happy---it's a win for them.

vatmark

Is there info out yet about choosing headliners? I haven't seen anything reading through the Disney FAQ but assumed that Disney wouldn't let 3 headliners be booked. I'm also wondering if they won't allow booking of 3 headliners at the 60 day mark but once in the park you can drop one of the lesser rides and add in a headliner? It will be very interesting to see how all this plays out.

Ann

mmshell103

I saved my info from the test we did last September and on the flyer we received it was broken down like this:

2 experiences from this group:
Barnstormer
Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade
Dumbo
Haunted Mansion
Jungle Cruise
Winnie the Pooh
PhilharMagic
Town Square Theater: Meet Minnie and Mickey

2 experiences from this group:
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Main Street Electrical Parade
Peter Pan's Flight
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Town Square Theater: Meet the Disney Princesses
Wishes

My guess is this will be the model with all the other rides divided into these groups.

Marianna

I've just sent a letter to customer service hoping for some clarification on how this will play out for local passholders. I'll pass along whatever I receive.

Nuclearman

I was at MK on July 5 (crowd level 9) and managed to pull 3 FPs between 9:00AM and 1:00PM. We took a break and returned at 5:00PM where I was able to pull and use another 4 FPs between 5:00PM and 10:30PM. That's 7 FP's (all headliners) in one...abbreviated...day.

MichaelColey

Maybe they could just divide the rides into 5 groups and give everyone a certain number of tickets for each group - A, B, C, D and E.

pfalcioni

does anybody know how to change this?
Maybe they could just divide the rides into 5 groups and give everyone a certain number of tickets for each group - A, B, C, D and E.
Brilliant!!!

Because, that's the way Walt would have wanted it :RpS_wink: