Huge 2-year old!

Ariel13

So our trip is Halloween week, and my son is about 2.75. He's a smidge under 41 inches, very verbal, and I'm worried about being questioned about his age. For reference, he just started wearing 5t clothes- so he's the size of a smallish 5 year old, maybe? I know that they should just take my word for it officially, but the thought of CMs giving me the side-eye all week is making me a little anxious. We'll be going on rides kids his age aren't usually big enough for, and doing a lot of buffets where he eats for free. It will bother me if people constantly look like they think we're lying, even if they don't say so outright.

I plan to bring a copy of his birth certificate, but would it be weird to have some other proof of age? Like a printed FB post from his last birthday, showing he turned 2 in December? I would keep it in my bag to quickly show people who give me that "yeah, riiiight" look.

Ugh. We specifically planned this trip for before he turns 3! But we know a family who shamelessly passed their little 3.5 yr. old off as 2, and I'm annoyed that they 'got away with it' because their kid's a peanut while I'm following the rules and anticipate a lot of raised eyebrows and funny looks because of my giant baby. Advice or experience?

nolarookie

Don’t worry about it. Have a great time. I’ll never forget a conversation my husband and I had with a little girl in line at the Donald Duck ride in Mexico Pavilion—“i’m Four and my sister is three, but we pretend that she’s two at Disney.”

We laughed, her mom was horrified.

You literally can’t control what other people think, say or do, so worrying about it won’t help.

Have a great trip!

3dadknight

If he has a magic band attached to his profile, you have nothing to worry about with CMs. He’s going to want to tap his band like everyone else and his profile will pop up and show he’s two. I’m 99% sure you will not be asked for proof even at the park entrance where Mickey will turn blue instead of green. As for “other people,” I am 100% sure they won’t notice, care, stick around to judge, see you again, or remember anything about being behind you in any line. As much as you have on your mind dealing with your own party, “they” have just as much on their minds. However, if you feel like people are giving you a raised eyebrow or funny look, and you whip out his birth certificate and/or a printed Facebook post about his birthday, I guarantee that you will become part of their vacation story they tell when they get home. Relax, ignore, and have fun.

My son ( who turns 34 this year) was a big toddler, too. We went to Disney way back when he was just under 3 years old. I also had the copy of the BC, and was ready to defend my kids age. Nothing ever happened. I didn't even get a side eye from any CM's. Most don't care, the rest have seen a bunch of big toddlers, I think. We had a great time, and after the initial purchase of our tickets, when I said "He's 2", I never had to mention his age again.

Just as an FYI - my son topped out at 6'5". He was always tall for his age, but when he hit 13, he shot up 3 inches in one summer. I bought his school clothes a month before school started, and had to buy him new clothes on the week school started because he outgrew the others in just that one month. Luckily, we were able to return most of the clothes. Beware the teen growth spurt!

AngiTN

They do not quiz a parent on the child's age.
You've entered a birthday in MDE and they are now stuck with the age that matches that. It takes a phone call to Disney to correct.
Do people still take an advantage of it, I'm sure they do. Only word I have for them is Karma.
You still have nothing to worry about, side ways glances or not. Ignore them.

hizouse

Just adding to the consensus not to worry about it. We had a very verbal almost-3-year-old who was just a smidge under 40" (he rode Splash Mountain but was turned away from Soarin' when wearing a different set of shoes). We encountered no friction, ever. I may have had to explain a couple times at the tapstiles when he wanted to scan a magic band and it turned blue instead of green, but I never had to show proof. I think I had a picture of his birth certificate on my phone, but never came close to needing it. We had thought about making him stay in the stroller at the tapstiles to avoid problems, but that wasn't necessary.

It is pretty much the opposite experience of the time we flew when he was 1 and did not have his own ticket. The airline twice closely scrutinized his birth certificate at the airport. And you get dirty looks from other passengers, but that's just because they don't want to sit near any small kids, not because they think you're cheating the system.

All about me

Most of the time I don't care what other people think of me but there are a couple of subjects I am sensitive on and for them I do my best to keep the following in mind:

"What you think of me is none of my business." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Remember these employees deal with thousands of people a day so, realistically, you and your child are going to have to be a lot more outrageous to rate a second glance, let alone active side eye.

Ariel13

Thanks for the reassurance! Glad to hear that others didn't have problems, and yes, I definitely need to just try to keep in mind that nobody's opinions really matter, I know I'm not doing anything wrong.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Just popping in to say that there won't be a better thread title than this for the rest of the year. That's all.

beachta1

I almost always have a copy of my daughters BC on me when we travel together! We don't have the same last name so for me its peace of mind.

That being said, I can't imagine really being challenged with it and I hope it doesn't happen!! My daughter will be 3 in Jan so this will be our last "free" trip with her. She is about 36" so won't get to do much more than she could do last year. She is petite and still has pretty short hair so people always assume she is younger.

Lilliputian

Will he be in a stroller? CMs don't expect most young children in strollers to have tickets. I still use a stroller for my 4 year old sometimes, and the CMs act surprised when he hops out to scan his band.

I don't think I've ever been questioned about any of my children's ages, and I have 6 tall boys. As in, my 16 year old is 6'3" and the 15 year old is 6'. They quiz them to see if they're old enough to sit alone or to see if the older ones are 14 or older to sit with one under 7, and they've asked at buffets very casually, but the only time they've asked at the gates is if their bands didn't scan correctly and they had to do stuff with their tablets to get them in.

lmr1999

I agree with all of this! It's no one's business, and as big as your boy is I'm sure the CMs have seen big children before. However, I completely understand feeling the need to explain or defend yourself. We went to Disney two weeks ago with our son who turned 9 a few days after our trip and our daughter who is 11.5 (an "adult"). They are the same size, and I kept feeling the need to explain that she was an "adult" who wanted a kid's menu to do the word search.:RpS_laugh: Not that I wanted to pay more, but I felt this weird sense of guilt since she's nowhere close to 9 (even though she could probably say she was for another year)! Hope y'all have a great trip and don't ever need to think about the age thing!

nolarookie

I agree with all of this! It's no one's business, and as big as your boy is I'm sure the CMs have seen big children before. However, I completely understand feeling the need to explain or defend yourself. We went to Disney two weeks ago with our son who turned 9 a few days after our trip and our daughter who is 11.5 (an "adult"). They are the same size, and I kept feeling the need to explain that she was an "adult" who wanted a kid's menu to do the word search.:RpS_laugh: Not that I wanted to pay more, but I felt this weird sense of guilt since she's nowhere close to 9 (even though she could probably say she was for another year)! Hope y'all have a great trip and don't ever need to think about the age thing!
We routinely have our 13 year old order off the kids menu at TS places and no one cares. As long as it’s not some buffet or prix fixe menu it’s fine.