Hurricane!!

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Earlier today I saw the video of the Fox News guy who bluntly told people that they and their kids may die if they chose not to evacuate. I'm not sure why there was such a negative reaction to what he said. Unfortunately need a verbal smack of reality like that. And for some it still wouldn't make a difference.
You can't fight natural selection.

Snickers

There's always the option of news just being news. It's the playing of the "what if" game that drives me crazy. Most "news" especially on the 24 hour channels is simply speculation packaged as facts.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
There's always the option of news just being news. It's the playing of the "what if" game that drives me crazy. Most "news" especially on the 24 hour channels is simply speculation packaged as facts.
Some of it is clearly hype designed to boost ratings. Ignore the "COMING UP AT 6!...", the "STORM OF THE CENTURY!" and the "BREAKING NEWS!" hype, especially when you can go right to the NWS or NHC sites for their most current reports/forecasts. You really shouldn't need some talking head to tell you that heavy rain, high winds and storm surges can be potentially life threatening. Find a local weather person who provides no BS no hype information (probably someone who is internet/facebook/twitter based, not a TV personality).

I think the biggest problem with forecasting any big storm is that so many variables exist that can intensify the storm or change its track with short notice. So if the possibility that the storm will hit you exists, you have to make a choice--cross your fingers and ride it out or leave for a day or two.

When Sandy hit the northeast in 2012, we left for two nights. We were in the "if it shifts west then it will be worse for these areas..." area. We have big trees in our yard, we have three kids and their bedrooms are on the second floor. I chose not to take the risk (even it it was small) of having to pull a dead child from under a tree that hit the house. Fortunately, the storm caused only minor damage and the trees didn't come down.

StanH

I am loving watching Notre Dame playing NC State right now... The announcers said they were 1 1/2 hours away from the fringe of the hurricane, but right now the rain is awesome....Standing water on the field, fans in ponchos, or not, players with water running down their helmets...Good old fashioned football!

It has been reported on Reddit/waltdisneyworld boards, that Disney is giving out one day parkhoppers to all resort guests who stayed over Saturday. The parkhoppers do not expire for 10 years. You just have to talk to Guest Services.

Rhody123

I just needed to add this epilogue onto my "should I stay or should I go during a hurricane" drama: my husband and I both came down with horrible colds in the last 2 days. So this is God's way of saying it was meant to be that we had to cancel and reschedule. I can't imagine flying around Space Mountain feeling the way I do. Everything works out in the end. Now if everyone would just make sure there are no hurricanes on Oct that would be great!! Thank you everyone for all your advice. I'll be sure to post a picture when we finally make it.

L

Linkura

I just needed to add this epilogue onto my "should I stay or should I go during a hurricane" drama: my husband and I both came down with horrible colds in the last 2 days. So this is God's way of saying it was meant to be that we had to cancel and reschedule. I can't imagine flying around Space Mountain feeling the way I do. Everything works out in the end. Now if everyone would just make sure there are no hurricanes on Oct that would be great!! Thank you everyone for all your advice. I'll be sure to post a picture when we finally make it.
Hope you both feel better! It's a bummer you're sick but good thing it's now and not on your trip later this month!

D

Deleted member 832

It has been reported on Reddit/waltdisneyworld boards, that Disney is giving out one day parkhoppers to all resort guests who stayed over Saturday. The parkhoppers do not expire for 10 years. You just have to talk to Guest Services.

Disney handled things great from what I saw. I know some resorts struggled with crowds. I don't think any of them, especially the big ones, are equipped to deal with every guest being at the resort at once. No complaints on anything we saw and everyone was being super nice

We have been at Swan, then Boardwalk and now Dolphin.
We flew in very early on Thursday and stayed at Epcot till it closed at 5. Grabbed snacks, food to bring to our room and I crashed as soon as we settled in the room. We had a room overlooking Epcot and HS. Could see that we dodged any bad weather when wet looked out and ask the debris we saw was a single palm front on the grounds. We'd had worse storms during the summer plenty of times.

We switched from Swan to BWI on Saturday, walked over about 11:00, after check-out. The lobby at BWI was packed but well staffed. We got checked in and had our room by 11:30. They had characters out and about, activity CM had games going. All sorts of folks filling in where they could, saw life guards cleaning rooms.

For food they opened Flying Fish and Tratorria with identical all you can eat buffets from 12 to 4. $16 each. Food was great, pizza, make your own sandwich, barbeque. They were also feeding any staff, no charge for them. Nice in this day where they are cutting back so much

Then we saw that Abracadbra was open. Made new friends and sat there all afternoon drinking. Had a blast! When we heard DS was opening we opted to head there. That was our first mistake. It was packed, 4 hours for food was the norm. We ended up at the bar at Paradesco. Food was alright. Got tickets to see a movie then got our own personal bus back to BWI.

Saturday turned out to be a beautiful day.

I've also heard they are offering a discount for anyone that had to extend their trips when the airport closed

MsIncredible

We went down Thursday, arriving in MCO at 11am and came back yesterday - flights both days were uneventful. Our original itinerary was: Thurs Epcot 2pm to closing, Fri MNSSHP, Sat relax and pool day, Sun AK. We learned when we got to AKL that all parks and DS were closing at 5pm. Since I only had 2 park days and the party tix, I thought about not going to Epcot on Thursday and using the ticket on Saturday, but my DD10 said "let's make the most of the day" and off we went to Epcot. We were scanning our magic bands around 1:15pm and all the Mickey readers were down, cast members were scanning bands with a tablet and told us that we would not be charged a park ticket. So my DD10 made the right call for sure and Disney stepped up!

Had a great time at Epcot, but our plans there were cut short due to the early park closing. We had had a dining ADR but had to go to Mara when back at AKL. Given the numbers of folks there, we only had to wait an hour in line/get our food. The staff and visitors were all taking it in stride and I didn't see anyone having major issues. I decided I didn't want to wait an hour per meal in line so Thursday night, I purchased food for Thurs dinner, Fri breakfast and Fri lunch. Being in a DVC unit was good for that! We stayed in our room all day and had a marathon Disney movie day - luckily they played Disney flicks all day to occupy folks. They did have crafts and characters in the lobby, but all seemed pointed more to younger kids. We decided to just stay put and for dinner had doritos :)

Saturday we had a great day at MK, getting there later than I wanted but through gates and off and running by 8:30am, left around 4pm. Josh - your cheat sheet plans work great! I got what FP+ I could the day before and we had a great day. Did AK on Sunday as a late start after breakfast at BOMA. Don't think I'll do that again - the heat really got to me on Sunday after a big breakfast. AK seemed crowded. We really enjoyed our time there - highlight was the Wildebeests decided to take over the path just after we got off the bridge and we had to just sit and wait for them to move along.

At AKL they left us many voicemails to keep us up to date and I think they handled it well. They fully refunded me the party ticket price so all in all a good trip.

Rhody123

Was MK as at a normal crowd level on Saturday? I was thinking it would either be packed or lower crowd than usual given the upset of the storm.

Anne

Was MK as at a normal crowd level on Saturday? I was thinking it would either be packed or lower crowd than usual given the upset of the storm.
I wasn't there but boy the twitter reports sounded like it was packed! I'd be interested too in knowing how it "felt" for a family touring that day.

Laurensara

I wasn't there but boy the twitter reports sounded like it was packed! I'd be interested too in knowing how it "felt" for a family touring that day.
My DH and I were at MK from RD to after lunch. It was a typical RD crowd for us, and we were able to do SM, Buzz twice, JC, Magic Carpets, PotC, and Splash with minimal waits. We had to wait about 15 minutes at Small World and 10 minutes at a second Magic Carpets ride until we could check-in at Skipper Canteen for a 11:30 ADR.

L

Linkura

We went down Thursday, arriving in MCO at 11am and came back yesterday - flights both days were uneventful. Our original itinerary was: Thurs Epcot 2pm to closing, Fri MNSSHP, Sat relax and pool day, Sun AK. We learned when we got to AKL that all parks and DS were closing at 5pm. Since I only had 2 park days and the party tix, I thought about not going to Epcot on Thursday and using the ticket on Saturday, but my DD10 said "let's make the most of the day" and off we went to Epcot. We were scanning our magic bands around 1:15pm and all the Mickey readers were down, cast members were scanning bands with a tablet and told us that we would not be charged a park ticket. So my DD10 made the right call for sure and Disney stepped up!Had a great time at Epcot, but our plans there were cut short due to the early park closing. We had had a dining ADR but had to go to Mara when back at AKL. Given the numbers of folks there, we only had to wait an hour in line/get our food. The staff and visitors were all taking it in stride and I didn't see anyone having major issues. I decided I didn't want to wait an hour per meal in line so Thursday night, I purchased food for Thurs dinner, Fri breakfast and Fri lunch. Being in a DVC unit was good for that! We stayed in our room all day and had a marathon Disney movie day - luckily they played Disney flicks all day to occupy folks. They did have crafts and characters in the lobby, but all seemed pointed more to younger kids. We decided to just stay put and for dinner had doritos :)Saturday we had a great day at MK, getting there later than I wanted but through gates and off and running by 8:30am, left around 4pm. Josh - your cheat sheet plans work great! I got what FP+ I could the day before and we had a great day. Did AK on Sunday as a late start after breakfast at BOMA. Don't think I'll do that again - the heat really got to me on Sunday after a big breakfast. AK seemed crowded. We really enjoyed our time there - highlight was the Wildebeests decided to take over the path just after we got off the bridge and we had to just sit and wait for them to move along. At AKL they left us many voicemails to keep us up to date and I think they handled it well. They fully refunded me the party ticket price so all in all a good trip.
Sounds like you had a great time despite the change in plans!

D

Deleted member 832

All reports I've seen were for lower than expected crowds. I know Epcot was well below expectations. It was supposed to be the most crowded Saturday of the entire festival. It was not. Matter of fact, it was less crowded than it was when we were there today. Now, it was still pretty crowded, just not packed like sardines crowded. No lines at all at some booths and manageable lines at others

MsIncredible

When trying to decide what to do on Saturday after our MNSSHP was canceled on Friday night, I thought MK would be crowded since whoever was originally planning on Saturday would be there and everyone who planned to be there on Friday would be there as well. But I found an 11:30am ADR at Liberty Tree, FP+ for Peter Pan 8:30am, Buzz 1:10pm and POC at 2:25pm so I thought we'd try it. We tried for RD but passed through the gates at 8:33am - we did Splash, PP FP+, HM, Small World, Philharmagic, JOTLM and were about 15min early for our 11:30 ADR. After a leisurely lunch we did Riverboat, Hall of President's, Monster's Laugh Floor, Buzz FP+, tried People mover but it was down, POC FP+, Tiki room then decided to call it a day which was a little after 3pm since the parade was going - watched a bit of that, did a bit of looking in stores (didn't find anything that interested us) and left. I did try to get a Jungle Cruise FP+ but they were only available for later nighttime, there were FP+ for Aladdin carpet ride, Buzz, Pooh (which was down earlier in the day when we were in Fantasyland) and others but we were happy and decided to go back to the AKL pool.

So it ended up being a very easy, relaxing day since I felt like I knew what to do with Josh's cheat sheet in mind. The one thing that did surprise me was the amount of folks who were leaving at the time we were - that was crowded and seemed to be the most crowded part of our day. Altho since we missed RD, checking bags was very crowded as well! They wouldn't let us go around to the additional stands that Josh has mentioned so we had to slog through with everyone else but clear sailing after that!

L

Linkura

Many people leave right after the parade, so it's not surprising it was crowded when you left.

revolutionj10

We were there at RD and were able to do JC, POC, Splash, HM, Muppets Show, 7DMT (FP+) all before 10:15 AM. At that point we headed out and over to HS (where we saw Josh taking pictures for the latest post actually). The walk out was extremely, extremely crowded, so I would imagine it got pretty crowded, but I'm not sure if it hit the predicted levels.