I know nothing about OKW

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
First time at OKW, two nights in late July/early August.

We've requested "near Hospitality House" (booking category was not available). If we don't get that request, what's the best method for getting to HH for the pool and dining? We won't have a car. Is walking a safe option?

i<3riviera

there is a wide sidewalk next to the main north/south road and all the smaller groups of villas have sidewalks that connect to it so it's safe to walk; there might be a place here or there where you have to cross a parking lot but in general you keep away from cars; the longest walk is ~1 km (0.6 mi) so not short but not horrendous

there are also leisure pools in each of the groups of villas; depending on what you're looking for in a pool, that might be another option vs. walking all the way to the main pool; we stayed in the old turtle pond road area and our villa was across the way from the leisure pool so we used it more than the main pool out of convenience

it's a great resort; we didn't have expectations going into our stay but ended up being quite fond of OKW!

bnoble

he's right
Walking is definitely safe--the sidewalks are mostly along roads, so they aren't as peaceful as, say, the ones at SSR, but pleasant just the same.

All of the theme park buses stop at Hospitality House last, so any of those will get you there. The Disney Springs bus stops at Hospitality House first, so you can take it back. (IIRC, it stops at HH both first *and* last, but don't quote me). Additionally, the Peninsular Road stop is the first theme park bus stop, and it is just across the street from HH, so that's probably a better bet if you don't want to make the full walk--those buses are more frequent.

Finally, if you are in a Villa, buildings 29 and below do not have a door between the living room and the bathroom, while those in buildings 30 and higher do. That might make the difference in what you request, even though the 30+ buildings are all in Turtle Pond or South Point.

Enjoy your stay; OKW is one of my favorites!

Strangeite

Echoing Brian, I typically recommend people request buildings 27, 28 or 29. These are not in the "Near Hospitality House" booking category but use the Peninsular Road bus stop. They add maybe 90 seconds more to the walk to the pool, you don't have to worry about the bus being full when heading to the parks and your first off when you are returning tired.

OKW is my favorite resort and I am sure you will enjoy it.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
In addition to 27-29, 62 and 63 are good and close to HH and Peninsular bus stops too. All those but 63 face S/SW over the golf course, so you also get some good natural light through the trees. I’ve found some north-facing units to be a bit dark.

George

Sorry, I'm honestly confused. Is there no door between the two rooms? Or is it something like the only way to access the bathroom is through the bedroom.
It is this. In the other layout there is an additional access to the bathroom through the laundry room.

Sorry! In the Villas “with the doors,” (see below) there’s a door in the laundry room that leads to the bathroom, so that people in the public space can walk through the laundry room to get to the bathroom instead of having to walk through the bedroom to get to the bathroom.

1620144134676.jpeg

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Ah, gotcha. Man, that seems like a horrible design, considering they were designed as DVC from the ground up. If it were some kind of retrofit AKL situation it would make more sense that they would have to do it that way...

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
In addition to 27-29, 62 and 63 are good and close to HH and Peninsular bus stops too. All those but 63 face S/SW over the golf course, so you also get some good natural light through the trees. I’ve found some north-facing units to be a bit dark.

I requested 62-64 based upon my review of the OKW map.

bnoble

he's right
Man, that seems like a horrible design
You'd be surprised at how many timeshares are designed this way. That's because in the "normal" (i.e. non-DVC) timeshare world, families do not book 1BRs. They book 2BRs. 1BRs are much more often booked by couples, where it is a little less awkward to have to traipse through the bedroom to get to the bath. As a corollary, many timeshares don't even bother with studios (which are nothing more than glorified hotel rooms), instead having the 2BR lockoffs consist of two 1BR units: a larger one with a full kitchen, and a smaller one with a partial kitchen.

OKW echoes other timeshares in many other ways too. The freezers have ice makers. The living areas have ample seating. The dining room table comfortably seats the number of people it is supposed to (though still too small in the 2BR). The balconies/patios are spacious. It seems to me that Disney expected its timeshare guests to have more in common with "other" timeshare buyers, but instead quickly realized that a healthy number of their buyers just wanted a place to crash between Open-Close theme park days. How else can you explain the drastic differences between OKW and the "2nd generation" DVC resort designs at BWV, VWL, BCV, and SSR?

Strangeite

The dining room table comfortably seats the number of people it is supposed to (though still too small in the 2BR).

I thought the 1BR at OKW sleeps 5?

The only DVC villa that I have stayed in that had dining for the number it sleeps is the OKW grand villa. Sleeps 12 and has one dining room table that sits 8 and another that sits 4. The Kidani grand villa is close but only sits 10.

Edit: I am not counting the table on the balcony, but probably should.

bnoble

he's right
I thought the 1BR at OKW sleeps 5?
Good point. But, it used to sleep four, and back then the table was big enough. If you wanted to stretch and count the table on the patio, it's a total of eight, but still not enough for the 9 in the 2BR

(This is a pet peeve of mine about DVC. I guess they just assume that you don't want to eat with the others on vacation?)

Strangeite

(This is a pet peeve of mine about DVC. I guess they just assume that you don't want to eat with the others on vacation?)

I agree, it annoys me to no end. However, I hate having people sleep in the living room even more, so the dining situation typically happen during our trips.

At OKW I once had my oldest son sleep on an air mattress in the laundry room because I hate people sleeping in the living room so much.

George

At OKW I once had my oldest son sleep on an air mattress in the laundry room because I hate people sleeping in the living room so much.
Was that in one of those 1BRs with a door to the bath?! :D