Ideal Magic Kingdom Morning in Practice

josh

Administrator
Staff member
I'll have a more thorough look on the blog, but thought I would share how things went today (now yesterday, sorry).

The deal is that Dumbo and Rapunzel are no longer "must do first" attractions. In fact, you can easily visit Dumbo at 10:30am and find a wait of 10 or less minutes. Since this is July, we shouldn't expect this trend to change over the next few months. With Dumbo an easy FASTPASS all day (virtually always a 40 minute return) and the playground, it's actually a bad choice to go to Dumbo first thing. However, Dumbo is somewhat hidden in the back of the Park these days. That will change when the Belle area opens and then even more so in 2014 when the Mine Coaster opens. And then this is all likely to change again when whatever FASTPASS+ comes to fruition. So we may see Dumbo wait times skew upwards this "holiday season."

The big problem with Magic Kingdom is that with the number of attractions, it's far more complicated to choose your plan of attack. And your plan is contingent on a wealth of factors, including whether you want to meet characters, whether you want to do the ultra-low capacity attractions like Astro Orbiter, whether you have kids in tow, what time Magic Kingdom closes, etc.

At Epcot, it's pretty simple - Soarin' -> Test Track (when it's open) -> Sum of All Thrills -> Mission: Space. You may want to start with Character Spot, but other than that, the plan doesn't change. If you're not interested in one attraction, the wait time at the next attraction will simply be shorter. Once you get through those four, you're basically done with what you need to plan. Outside of maybe Maelstrom, no significant waits, assuming you visit Spaceship Earth after 1pm.

Same thing at Animal Kingdom - Kilimanjaro Safaris -> Expedition Everest -> Primeval Whirl -> DINOSAUR. The wildcards there being the Character Greeting Trails and Kali River Rapids. But both are easy to fit in with crowds easing considerably after 4:15pm.

At Studios - Toy Story Mania -> Rock 'n' Roller Coaster -> Tower of Terror -> Star Tours. Characters can complicate things here too, but you're still fine with FASTPASS at RnR, Tower of Terror, and Star Tours into the afternoon. It's especially doable with the lengthy stage shows eating up time between FASTPASSes.

Magic Kingdom is simply another beast. Throw Ariel in and everything changes. Astro Orbiter and Tomorrowland Speedway? Everything changes. Skipping the "kiddy" Fantasyland rides? Everything changes.

But I think we can still get a clear idea about what we want to do. Anyway, this is getting wordy so I'll just get to it.

I decided to do the following:

The numbers after the attractions are time of arrival / time back out front.

For example: Ride Big Thunder Mountain - 9:08am / 9:17am means I got in line at 9:08am and was back out front at 9:17am. In the case of FASTPASSes, it's just the time pulled.

Collect FASTPASSes for Winnie the Pooh - 8:59am
Ride Peter Pan's Flight - 8:59am / 9:06am
Ride Splash Mountain - 9:13am / 9:30am
Ride Big Thunder Mountain - 9:30am / 9:42am
Collect FASTPASS for Big Thunder - 9:44am (I had walked a bit towards Adventureland before deciding to collect the FASTASS. Return time was 10:25am - 11:25am).
Ride Jungle Cruise - 9:48am / 10:04am
Ride Winnie the Pooh with FASTPASS - 10:21am / 10:30am
Ride Barnstormer - 10:35am / 10:40am
Ride Dumbo - 10:41am / 10:51am
Collect FASTPASSes for Space Mountain - 10:58am with return time 12:35pm / 1:35pm
Ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad with FASTPASS - 11:15am / 11:30am
Ride Pirates of the Caribbean - 11:34am / 11:47am
Have lunch at Diamond Horseshoe - 11:52am / 12:10pm
Ride Space Mountain - 12:36pm / 12:48pm

I felt like it was a pretty solid morning. I waited in virtually no lines other than Jungle Cruise for about five minutes and Dumbo for about five minutes. I virtually walked on everything else, including Splash Mountain where I got the beloved, "Sit anywhere you want." By 12pm, the wait at Splash was 75 minutes, 70 minutes at Space, 40 at Big Thunder, 55 at Peter Pan etc.

The problem is that it's a decent amount of walking. If you want to cut down on it, you'll need to do two days with more compartmentalization or plan to use FASTPASS more and hang out in the area until it's time to use them.

The thing about the summer is by 1pm there isn't a lot you can do with short waits. Even Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor is backed up outside. Stitch is using the extended queue. Haunted Mansion and it's a small world are 30 minutes+. You really either want to take a break or hit the truly high capacity/less popular attractions, which are basically Country Bear Jamboree, Liberty Square Riverboat, Swiss Family Treehouse, Enchanted Tiki Room, Carousel of Progress, Mickey's PhilharMagic. But you're better off back at your resort with a return around 6pm.

danish

Thanks!! This is really helpful. How about the two-day version? It would be nice to do less walking.
Have a good trip home!:RpS_rolleyes:

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'll flesh things out better as we go along. It's pretty easy to do two days with less walking. I'd do Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, and Liberty Square one day and then Main Street, Adventureland, Frontierland on the other day. Characters would complicate things a bit.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
And I'm guessing you didn't mean to give me the "rolling the eyes" smiley :RpS_laugh:

Betty Crocker

Thanks Josh!! Since this is peak summer season, this REALLY helps me get a better idea for lines/wait times as my only summer experience has been early June (not mega crowded) and late August (ditto).

Aprincess

i herd disney is going to start doing height restrictions on fantasy land rides at MK? i know they do it at seaworld i am really hoping this is just a rumor? at seaworld its 42 inches or shorter :( im really bummed about this i love the kids rides there the best. let me know if anyone else has herd about this. source: disney employee.

Erika

i herd disney is going to start doing height restrictions on fantasy land rides at MK? i know they do it at seaworld i am really hoping this is just a rumor? at seaworld its 42 inches or shorter :( im really bummed about this i love the kids rides there the best. let me know if anyone else has herd about this. source: disney employee.
Height restrictions? Like on PP or Pooh....i can't imagine that considering Walt's concept was a land to do things WITH your child! How does that work at sea world? Are they dark rides?

THANK YOU RHCB JOSH! (your title was getting quite out of hand, had to acronym it ;) LOVE the plan...gives me a better idea of how to tweek it for my own crew...altho we may just follow that plan exactly one day!

Have a fun trip!

Rowan

Height restrictions? Like on PP or Pooh....i can't imagine that considering Walt's concept was a land to do things WITH your child!
Agreed. It would be blasphemy to say parents couldnt ride Peter Pan with their child. Ive gotten teary eyed watching a Walt documentary where he talked about taking the kids to the park and "watching" them have fun and how he thought how great it would be to have a place for the whole family to enjoy together. Im sure it is just a rumor.

Kings Island, Cedar Point, Holiday World- they have rides that are only for kids below a certain height but they are not the same category of ride as the ones in Fantasyland. They are more like portable rides you could find at a local fair, usually some spinner ride (like Dumbo only much smaller) containing boats, or cars and you can see your child the whole time.

pfalcioni

does anybody know how to change this?
i herd disney is going to start doing height restrictions on fantasy land rides at MK?
No.

It would be absolutely against everything that Disney was built on. Also, uh, why? No logical reason, no monetary reason, no crowd control reason. Right, then carry on.

josh

Administrator
Staff member
They were probably talking about the Mine Coaster, which will come with a height requirement I'm sure.

smooreo

Thanks for the plan. We'll be traveling in October and plan to have 2 days at MK with our 8 and 5 year olds. A 2 day plan would be great, especially since we don't know the parks at all. I'm more curious about how to handle the requests to repeat rides on the second day while still experiencing new rides.

JulieC

I agree and ...

Kings Island, Cedar Point, Holiday World- they have rides that are only for kids below a certain height but they are not the same category of ride as the ones in Fantasyland. They are more like portable rides you could find at a local fair, usually some spinner ride (like Dumbo only much smaller) containing boats, or cars and you can see your child the whole time.
... confirm. The rides Cedar Point restricts to the under 54" set (some are under 54" or accompanied by a child) are designed for toddlers and preschoolers.