I'm just saying...

stevenmilz

josh's date at akershus
I’m on my third kid with braces. Two of them have had various baby teeth pulled. The orthodontist had told us at the outset about the need to do so during the course of the braces. Is this one of those situations where they told you about it when they first explained how things would go, or was this something that they just figured out was needed and did it? If it was explained early on (and maybe forgotten) I wouldn’t be too perturbed. If it was something they just decided to do, I would have expected them to inform me (the parent) beforehand and would mention it at the next appointment. Basically, would you have said “no” to the tooth pulling if asked? If you would have ok’d it, there is no need to raise a big stink about it, but simply mention that you would want a phone call before any similar procedure. You never know how people will react if you come across as very upset. You might find that your choice of appointment times is not the most convenient in the future.
Yeah, I guess I'm more taken off guard than upset. I find it a bit surprising, given the litigious society we live in today, that anybody treating a minor would do anything out of the ordinary without notifying the parent first. The orthodontist is highly regarded, even though they've already dorked up a number of things with our kids - and we're just a few months into this process. I just wanted some other folks' opinion. Thanks for the feedback!

Momofpirates

2 kids, 3 sets of braces. I would have thought they would have informed a parent before taking out the teeth as well. Our orthodontist talked with the parent quickly after each appointment just to update us on the progress, maybe 60-90 second conversation unless we had questions. At the end, he would say, "Next month, we will do X and Y".

I would probably mention it at the next appointment and ask that they put a note in the chart that you want to be notified before anything else except routine band/bracket change is done.

magic1106

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how
OK, something's bothering me so I figured I'd ask my fellow easyWDW forum-ites, who seem to be fairly level-headed and mostly sane, for an opinion. :RpS_wink: My two kids (12 and 10) had an orthodontist appointment yesterday. They both have Herbst appliances (look them up if you're unfamiliar - they're quite a hunk of metal). Anyway, my wife is out-of-town for work and I was at work, so our 18-yr old nanny took the kids to their appointment. No problem as it was supposed to be fairly routine. Come to find out that the orthodontist (or more likely one of the techs) pulled two of my 10-yr-old's baby teeth. That in of itself isn't a huge issue - one of them needed to come out for sure because the adult tooth was pushing it all catawampus. What's bothering me is that they pulled the teeth without any consent. No one called me, or my wife, or even consulted with the nanny. They just pulled the teeth. Thoughts? Should I be perturbed about this? Should I call the office and ask "WTF" or just let it go?

magic1106

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how
OK, something's bothering me so I figured I'd ask my fellow easyWDW forum-ites, who seem to be fairly level-headed and mostly sane, for an opinion. :RpS_wink: My two kids (12 and 10) had an orthodontist appointment yesterday. They both have Herbst appliances (look them up if you're unfamiliar - they're quite a hunk of metal). Anyway, my wife is out-of-town for work and I was at work, so our 18-yr old nanny took the kids to their appointment. No problem as it was supposed to be fairly routine. Come to find out that the orthodontist (or more likely one of the techs) pulled two of my 10-yr-old's baby teeth. That in of itself isn't a huge issue - one of them needed to come out for sure because the adult tooth was pushing it all catawampus. What's bothering me is that they pulled the teeth without any consent. No one called me, or my wife, or even consulted with the nanny. They just pulled the teeth. Thoughts? Should I be perturbed about this? Should I call the office and ask "WTF" or just let it go?
I’m assuming you have talked to your wife to verify she wasn’t aware of this being a possibility?

I wonder if the teeth removal is noted in the original work-up done. Something to notate that as a baby tooth becomes an interference/hinderance to the appliance, it would be removed as deemed necessary by the Dr. That would have been signed by you or your wife prior to the start of this whole procedure giving them prior permission to do so.

Not to say that they shouldn’t have given you a heads-up before doing this, just that they may have not needed your permission.

Last edited:

Mrs Darling

2 kids with braces, 1 had a tooth pulled. We were definitely informed it was a possibility up front and informed again when it was time. In your situation, I would be perturbed but I probably wouldn't say anything if my kid was not upset by it.

Anne

I'm a pediatrician and deal with these types of consent issues daily. Teens come in alone, younger kids are brought by grandparents or baby sitters. In my clinic we do no procedure (including vaccines) without informing a legal guardian and getting consent on that specific day. I'm not a lawyer and you are in a different state so I don't know the specifics of the law. But it's simply good patient care.

I would have a non-confrontational conversation about it with the orthodontist and let them know your expectations in future. I would not discuss the issue with office staff or anyone other than the provider. And if you do not feel comfortable with the conversation or listened to then I would consider changing to a different dr.who is a better fit. Your questions and concerns are completely reasonable.

Alcachofa

The orthodontist is highly regarded, even though they've already dorked up a number of things with our kids -
Uh, I'm not sure what dorked up means, but I'm guessing "messed up". Maybe the doctor shouldn't be highly regarded and you should start looking elsewhere. One "slip up" like the one you mentioned... OK. But something's been messed up several times now? No. Time to move on.

Nia

Quick hi. Wishing you all Very Happy Chrismtas and New Year. The updated forum looks great.
t.

kmc8826

Merry Christmas all!!

Waiting for girls to go to sleep for sure and logged on here after a break. I love the update and will try to get on more.

Not That Josh

I was watching the SAG awards and when the In Memoriam segment came up, I had the same two thoughts I always have.

1) I forgot he/she died this year.
2) I wish they would turn the audience sound down because I always cringe when someone gets more or less applause.

claytonia

I was watching the SAG awards and when the In Memoriam segment came up, I had the same two thoughts I always have.

1) I forgot he/she died this year.
2) I wish they would turn the audience sound down because I always cringe when someone gets more or less applause.
I cringe too but it's also kinda funny if you tend to laugh at inappropriate times

Nia

I really miss Disney. We end up cancelling the trip planned for this summer for many reasons - we bought our forever home but the budget went above what we had in mind, our son staring fee paying high school etc. We would have been fine really, regret little cancelling the package but when buying older home you don't know what kind of bills are coming your way.

I am going to be booking package for next year as soon as they are released.

I need to figure out cheaper european vacation for this summer. US holidays are more fun. We had european beach holiday only last year too

Last edited:

Mrs Darling

I really miss Disney. We end up cancelling the trip planned for this summer for many reasons - we bought our forever home but the budget went above what we had in mind, our son staring fee paying high school etc. We would have been fine really, regret little cancelling the package but when buying older home you don't know what kind of bills are coming your way.

I am going to be booking package for next year as soon as they are released.

I need to figure out cheaper european vacation for this summer. US holidays are more fun. We had european beach holiday only last year too
We skipped WDW in 2018 and it made our 2019 trip that much sweeter. We really appreciated the little things about it again. May skip next year as well in favour of a kitchen reno.

Reactions: Nia

Nia

We usually go every second year and do other things but last year we didn't do much other things either. It was all about the house! I think we viewed 93 houses. :). We were there 2018 so next trip will be 2021.

I think we are going to go to Sicily this year, we haven't been to that part of Italy yet and we all love Italy, sightseeing, shopping, good food- eating cannoli in the place they originated from should be fun. We can't do all inclusive beach vacations, they really don't suit our family.

Nia

I guess our son still wants to go with us. I wonder will he still want to in year or two. He is changing

Mrs Darling

We lucked out and have close family friends that we love to travel with. The kids have a great time together so (at 13 & almost 16) they're still enthusiastic. Would it be possible to bring along one of his friends? I know international travel with someone else's child may not be practical