I'm just saying...

Momofpirates

When it rains it pours! Yesterday wasn't great around here. DH was out working at one of his bee yards and his glasses fell off. He stepped back and bent down to pick them up, stepped on them and broke them. Eye doctors were shut down along with everything else in my state, except for emergencies. We have a paper copy of his prescription but it is expired as we were due for eye appts last week, which were cancelled. He called our eye doctor and the message said they are closed until further notice, no way to leave a message, nothing about emergencies (we aren't sure if this qualifies).

When he was on his way home, his truck started acting up the check engine light came on; he is pretty sure it needs a new transmission, as the truck is a 1999 and has almost 250,000 miles on it. It is an old truck, but it works for hauling wood, working bees, etc, and he needs the 4wd to get to some of those places, as well as something to pull the trailer on to haul things, and he needs it to get to work when the main roads are flooded and he has to use back, back roads.. This isn't a surprise, but the timing isn't great.

Yesterday evening, DS19 was doing something with the wifi router and the computer he just built. He turned off the router, unplugged it, plugged it back in, and........nothing. We have signal but not internet. Craptacular. He is doing his classes online and this is the last week before finals. He has 3 big projects due this week. DH knew we would need a new router soon but wasn't expecting it this soon. He found one on Amazon but it wouldn't arrive until at least Saturday, which is too late. DH was able to use his mac mini as a temporary router somehow so we have a little internet but it is very, very slow. He found the same router at the closest Best Buy, which is an hour and a half away, and they offer curbside pick up so he ordered it and went to pick it up today.

I was hoping it was just yesterday and today things would be better. We have had a lot of wind this morning, and when DS16 went to bring the trash cans back up, he was gone a long time. When he came back, he asked me why there is a big piece of gutter in the driveway and a dent in my van.

Crap.freaking.tacular

Edited to correct/add: It isn't a gutter in the driveway, it is a piece of trim. The "dent" is a scratch but nothing major and not even enough to worry about.

Last edited:

toodles

When it rains it pours! Yesterday wasn't great around here. DH was out working at one of his bee yards and his glasses fell off. He stepped back and bent down to pick them up, stepped on them and broke them. Eye doctors were shut down along with everything else in my state, except for emergencies. We have a paper copy of his prescription but it is expired as we were due for eye appts last week, which were cancelled. He called our eye doctor and the message said they are closed until further notice, no way to leave a message, nothing about emergencies (we aren't sure if this qualifies).

When he was on his way home, his truck started acting up the check engine light came on; he is pretty sure it needs a new transmission, as the truck is a 1999 and has almost 250,000 miles on it. It is an old truck, but it works for hauling wood, working bees, etc, and he needs the 4wd to get to some of those places, as well as something to pull the trailer on to haul things, and he needs it to get to work when the main roads are flooded and he has to use back, back roads.. This isn't a surprise, but the timing isn't great.

Yesterday evening, DS19 was doing something with the wifi router and the computer he just built. He turned off the router, unplugged it, plugged it back in, and........nothing. We have signal but not internet. Craptacular. He is doing his classes online and this is the last week before finals. He has 3 big projects due this week. DH knew we would need a new router soon but wasn't expecting it this soon. He found one on Amazon but it wouldn't arrive until at least Saturday, which is too late. DH was able to use his mac mini as a temporary router somehow so we have a little internet but it is very, very slow. He found the same router at the closest Best Buy, which is an hour and a half away, and they offer curbside pick up so he ordered it and went to pick it up today.

I was hoping it was just yesterday and today things would be better. We have had a lot of wind this morning, and when DS16 went to bring the trash cans back up, he was gone a long time. When he came back, he asked me why there is a big piece of gutter in the driveway and a dent in my van.

Crap.freaking.tacular

Edited to correct/add: It isn't a gutter in the driveway, it is a piece of trim. The "dent" is a scratch but nothing major and not even enough to worry about.
Sorry for such a crappy start to the week! Hoping things turn around for you

geek1997

Today's google doodle is the song I walked down the aisle to (bad grammar - don't quote me on the Words board). I've officially been earwormed.
Israel Kamakawiwoʻole's 61st Birthday #GoogleDoodle https://g.co/doodle/t2s2bsh

I didn't realize the song was also used in 50 First Dates as the bridal procession song until about 6 months after our wedding. I actually came across it in an eToys commercial and had to email them to ask what it was. That song and Nick Drake's Pink Moon were two of the first instances I can recall where commercials had songs that weren't 'popular' at the time. And actually, I can't really recall if commercials were using anything but their own jingles, for the most part, at that time.

RetroCOTfan

Today's google doodle is the song I walked down the aisle to (bad grammar - don't quote me on the Words board). I've officially been earwormed.
Israel Kamakawiwoʻole's 61st Birthday #GoogleDoodle https://g.co/doodle/t2s2bsh

I didn't realize the song was also used in 50 First Dates as the bridal procession song until about 6 months after our wedding. I actually came across it in an eToys commercial and had to email them to ask what it was. That song and Nick Drake's Pink Moon were two of the first instances I can recall where commercials had songs that weren't 'popular' at the time. And actually, I can't really recall if commercials were using anything but their own jingles, for the most part, at that time.
And both my wife and I can't hear it without immediately turning to each other and saying "Oh no, Dr. Greene is dying!" because, of course, the first place we ever heard it was in the ER episode set in Hawaii where Mark Greene dies.

geek1997

And both my wife and I can't hear it without immediately turning to each other and saying "Oh no, Dr. Greene is dying!" because, of course, the first place we ever heard it was in the ER episode set in Hawaii where Mark Greene dies.
My husband said the same thing recently and I asked him why in the world he let me use it. :oops:

RetroCOTfan

My husband said the same thing recently and I asked him why in the world he let me use it. :oops:
Hahaha - to be fair, it's a cool version of that song, and that episode of ER--near the height of its popularity and killing off one of its founding characters--probably didn't have that many viewers, so I'm sure no one noticed. ;)

Strangeite

A couple of weeks ago my eldest son's girlfriend was over and she was upset because somehow the digitizer in her MacBook Air was totally cracked. It was the type of damage that was bad and only going to get worse. She had just graduated college, just starting a new job and really was upset that her computer was broken.

Anyway, I looked up what it would cost to have it repaired at the Apple Store or at a third-party repair shop and it was between $700 and $900. Not worth doing. But I looked up the cost of a replacement part. $220. Taking apart any Mac is a challenge because everything is so tightly packed, particularly with the MacBook Airs, but I told her that I thought we could swap out the parts.

She wanted to ask her parents.

They are both engineers, but her mom thought it was a crazy idea. Her dad was skeptical that it could be fixed as well but said "Why not?" They ordered the new screen.

My son and his girlfriend brought it over here to repair, but I told them there is a catch. I ain't going to do it. They were going to repair it. I will just supervise.

I had printed off all of the instructions from iFixit, had the tools laid out, paper for making notes where each screw went, etc. Three and half hours later, she had a working computer. Even better than before because the hinges were tighter. More importantly, they both were blown away that they were able to take it apart, fix it and put it back together.

It was one of my more proud parenting moments.

geek1997

We 'reintroduced' Pokemon Go in an attempt to get the girls out of the house and moving. My husband took them for a walk the other evening, fairly late, so it was pretty much dark on the way home. It had rained earlier in the day. My youngest told him it reminded her of Disney World, walking around the parks in the evening after a rain, breezier, etc.

Sometimes I feel like we just plan vacations and don't really know if they make a lasting impression. It was nice to see/hear the reinforcement.

Donnadonny

We 'reintroduced' Pokemon Go in an attempt to get the girls out of the house and moving.
Just saying......I saw a documentary on television. Pokemon Go seems to be something sponsored by the biggest companies (McDonald's, ...) to get young people to a certain place. McDonald's pays the company behind Pokemon Go to get youngsters to their restaurants (by hiding Pokemons in McDonald's or in the immediate neighborhood).

It was a very akward image you got from that. Hundreds and hundreds of people at the same time to one specific place. It was an evil experiment to see if it is possible to get thousands of people going somewhere at the same time, a bit like the pied piper of hamelin :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

geek1997

Just saying......I saw a documentary on television. Pokemon Go seems to be something sponsored by the biggest companies (McDonald's, ...) to get young people to a certain place. McDonald's pays the company behind Pokemon Go to get youngsters to their restaurants (by hiding Pokemons in McDonald's or in the immediate neighbourhood).
We never doubted that it was a 'covert' marketing ploy for locations. But, like I said, it gets them out for a walk a few days a week and we're just walking around our suburban neighborhood.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
This is what I was posting on Facebook three years ago, according to Facebook Memories. Simpler time, even during hurricanes. I wonder if we'll look back on today a year from now and wish we were back in 2020.

1596472294303.jpeg