I'm just saying...

Strangeite

I can't explain it but when I listen to music, the Motown sound is what my soul needs to hear.

If anyone reads this and decides to also dive into Motown, remember part of what made Motown Motown, was the the utilization of the new technology called stereo. Left channel and Right channel is important.

AmyM

Yesterday morning at 10 am ET, the Park Service opened Yosemite National Park camping reservations for June 15 - July 14. Sure, I did some research and was logged on promptly before reservations opened. I cockily thought to myself "Um, if I can successfully get a RoR boarding pass with no issue, a campsite should be a cakewalk." I was wrong. Every site was booked in under a minute, and I had not carefully figured out the ins and outs of the reservation system to maximize my chances for success. Riding a wave of disappointment all morning, I've finally shifted into a "Yay, it will be an adventure" mentality. On the upside, we have this new rooftop tent and can pretty much set up camp anywhere, so that's an exciting opportunity, just disappointed since I consider myself a pretty great travel planner....can't believe I let a silly camping reservation slip through my fingers.

Attachments

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Yesterday morning at 10 am ET, the Park Service opened Yosemite National Park camping reservations for June 15 - July 14. Sure, I did some research and was logged on promptly before reservations opened. I cockily thought to myself "Um, if I can successfully get a RoR boarding pass with no issue, a campsite should be a cakewalk." I was wrong. Every site was booked in under a minute, and I had not carefully figured out the ins and outs of the reservation system to maximize my chances for success. Riding a wave of disappointment all morning, I've finally shifted into a "Yay, it will be an adventure" mentality. On the upside, we have this new rooftop tent and can pretty much set up camp anywhere, so that's an exciting opportunity, just disappointed since I consider myself a pretty great travel planner....can't believe I let a silly camping reservation slip through my fingers.
You’ve got a lot of chutzpah posting something like that to a group like this! 😜

But seriously, I’ve been getting that kind of frustration trying to find a COVID vaccine.

Strangeite

Yesterday morning at 10 am ET, the Park Service opened Yosemite National Park camping reservations for June 15 - July 14. Sure, I did some research and was logged on promptly before reservations opened. I cockily thought to myself "Um, if I can successfully get a RoR boarding pass with no issue, a campsite should be a cakewalk." I was wrong.
I've had people try to pay me to make Disney reservations for them (don't want that responsibility), but there are certain campsites at an Army Corp of Engineers campground that I struggle to get every single year, forget the pandemic. I have gone so far as to make friends with and have the cell phone numbers of, the campground hosts at said campground. Currently there is pent-up demand for those campsites and I would put my odds of securing a boarding pass for Rise of the Resitance WAY higher than I would trying to get a good reservation on recreation.gov right now.

Edit: I'd tell you where those magical campsites are but I don't want the competition.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Cleaning out the basement, I found a box of stuff that was meant for the shredder and never got there. Bills, receipts, bank statements, etc.

I found a Flying Fish receipt from July, 2007. And our print out of room charges.

It was a three day weekend in WDW after spending the week at Vero Beach DVC. Arrived Friday afternoon, stayed at Riverside; Friday dinner at Flying Fish and watched the Boardwalk entertainment; Saturday MK, dinner at Kona Cafe; Sunday character breakfast at 'Ohana then flight home.

Last edited:

George

Cleaning out the basement, I found a box of stuff that was meant for the shredder and never got there. Bills, receipts, bank statements, etc.

I found a Flying Fish receipt from July, 2007. And our print out of room charges.

It was a three day weekend in WDW after spending the week at Vero Beach DVC. Arrived Friday afternoon, stayed at Riverside; Friday dinner at Flying Fisch and watched the Boardwalk entertainment; Saturday MK, dinner at Kona Cafe; Sunday character breakfast at 'Ohana then flight home.
$600 total?

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
$600 total?
Crap, I already forgot the total. But it was reasonable. Two nights at POR were probably under $150/night. I think the 'Ohana breakfast was $35.99 for adults.

I just remembered that our stroller was stolen in MK that Saturday, and I found it a few hours later on the other side of the park. :RpS_laugh:

bnoble

he's right
We're weird, but we already have some tentative plans for Feburary...2023. I just booked a timeshare exchange week at this place:

It's a hotel with 50-odd rooms on its very own small island just off the shore of St. Croix. Boat shuttle is complimentary for hotel guests. The pool has been empty for years, and there is no sign that will change. There is a tiki bar, but not much else beyond sand, turtles, fish, and birds. But it is on its very own small island.

This sounds fantastic. Sign me up.

George

We're weird, but we already have some tentative plans for Feburary...2023. I just booked a timeshare exchange week at this place:

It's a hotel with 50-odd rooms on its very own small island just off the shore of St. Croix. Boat shuttle is complimentary for hotel guests. The pool has been empty for years, and there is no sign that will change. There is a tiki bar, but not much else beyond sand, turtles, fish, and birds. But it is on its very own small island.

Don't dive into the pool!

Disneyfan

Your post surprised me. I used to live on St. Croix. It seems like a million years ago. Reading your post brought back many memories. DH and I ate dinner at the Hotel on the Cay, but never stayed over night. I haven't been back to the island since we moved back home. DH did go back once on business. Have you ever been to STX before?

bnoble

he's right
Nope. This is the first time. I don’t think we would have even thought about it if this exchange hadn’t been there.

Strangeite

I already bragged about my kids once tonight, so I figured I would do it a second time.

My daughter (14, good god), is a freshman in high school and in a separate engineering program. It's pretty cool, I wish I had their shop. Anyways, she is in this program that means she takes all of her math, english and engineering courses with the same group of kids. Out of two high schools of 3500 students, there are 25 freshman in the engineering course. 5 are female.

They had a group challenge. Build a tower themed like a Disney attraction but how much weight could it hold. Using popsicle sticks and glue.

No surprise, she took this very seriously. She is in-person these days and after a week of working on it, she was really disappointed with her group. Perhaps it was random, but all of the girls got picked to be in the same group. Friday came and it was time to test the towers the next week. Most teams were woefully going to fail, including hers. The teacher asked if teams wanted to work on them at home. Her entire team told her to feel free to work on it at home.

Long story short, my daughter built a rainbow tower (also for some reason they were they only ones given colored sticks) and focused more than I have ever seen her focus. Her inspiration was the photo of Michael Jackson walking through the rainbow tunnel at the Imagination pavilion. Not sure what that says that she knew of that while never having actually seen it. I would guess she spent at minimum 20 hours working on it at the dining room table.

Their tower needed to hold two literature text books. It held 23 books for a total of 138 lbs and didn't break. She said her hands were shaking so bad and when going up the ladder that high her legs were shaking. Two other groups held 12 books. Another two held 8. The school record is 29 books. She is confident she will exceed that if her teacher will let her try again. As she puts it, the rules do say until it breaks.

magic1106

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how
I already bragged about my kids once tonight, so I figured I would do it a second time.

My daughter (14, good god), is a freshman in high school and in a separate engineering program. It's pretty cool, I wish I had their shop. Anyways, she is in this program that means she takes all of her math, english and engineering courses with the same group of kids. Out of two high schools of 3500 students, there are 25 freshman in the engineering course. 5 are female.

They had a group challenge. Build a tower themed like a Disney attraction but how much weight could it hold. Using popsicle sticks and glue.

No surprise, she took this very seriously. She is in-person these days and after a week of working on it, she was really disappointed with her group. Perhaps it was random, but all of the girls got picked to be in the same group. Friday came and it was time to test the towers the next week. Most teams were woefully going to fail, including hers. The teacher asked if teams wanted to work on them at home. Her entire team told her to feel free to work on it at home.

Long story short, my daughter built a rainbow tower (also for some reason they were they only ones given colored sticks) and focused more than I have ever seen her focus. Her inspiration was the photo of Michael Jackson walking through the rainbow tunnel at the Imagination pavilion. Not sure what that says that she knew of that while never having actually seen it. I would guess she spent at minimum 20 hours working on it at the dining room table.

Their tower needed to hold two literature text books. It held 23 books for a total of 138 lbs and didn't break. She said her hands were shaking so bad and when going up the ladder that high her legs were shaking. Two other groups held 12 books. Another two held 8. The school record is 29 books. She is confident she will exceed that if her teacher will let her try again. As she puts it, the rules do say until it breaks.
It sounds like your daughter has a bright future! Her determination is inspiring.

I love hearing about schools that have specialized programs like this. Generalized education does so little to help kids prepare for real jobs and real life.

i<3riviera

love it! much to the chagrin of my social sciences [sic] partner, I always tell my daughters, "you can be absolutely anything you want to be: mechanical engineers, civil engineers, electrical engineers, chemical engineers, industrial engineers, biomedical engineers, aerospace engineers ... "

As an exercise, these advanced engineering students should calculate the probability of all five girls being “randomly” placed on the same team.
5c1 / 25c5 = 0.0094% or 1 in 10,626

being exclusively given the coloured sticks brings it closer to 0.001%

Last edited:

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
The probability increases significantly if they're picking round robin like you do in gym class, and after the first round the "girls team" picks first:
(4/20)*(3/15)*(2/10)*(1/5) = 0.2^4 = 0.16% or 1 in 625

and the probability is best when the "girls team" picks last:
(4/16)*(3/11)*(2/6)*(1/1) = 2.3% or 1 in 44

Strangeite

It is that time of year when the frogs are just unbelievably loud. It is 2:30 in the afternoon, with all windows and doors closed yet they are as loud as a dusty desktop running Crysis.