I'm just saying...

Alcachofa

That location has changed the restaurant several times in the last 20 or so years. Lost track of it. Good to know. I would say "oh I'll check it out again" but I have sooooooo many other places on my "need to get to" list.

geek1997

Frustrated with the parent-school groups that only communicate through Facebook. We quit our Girl Scout troop a few years ago because they only communicated through Facebook, despite the fact that I made it clear that I wasn't on it. And there were only like 10 girls so it's not like it would have been a BIG deal to send out an email or group text.

I conceded this last year for HS marching band because our daughter is one of almost 300 kids. I've been wondering why the Boosters never communicated any of the meetings or events and I think I've finally realized (now, at the end of the year) that they do communicate through Messenger. Which I just figured out is a completely separate app from Facebook. I'm just annoyed. Really annoyed. I know I should 'get with the times' but I really can't be the only one. I hate it so much. It also just feels lazy. I may not have a better solution but communicating that it was necessary would have been nice.

RetroCOTfan

You're not wrong. E-mail is (or at least should be) the universal means of communication now, with cross posts to FB or whatever other social media/messaging platform. To only use FB is ridiculous. There are numerous valid reasons to avoid FB and other forms of social media. If it's like every other band-booster group I've been in, they have had trouble at one time or another getting volunteers and/or donations for some project or another. With that in mind, cutting off even a portion of your audience is not smart.

bnoble

he's right
I left FB years ago, do not miss it, and would not use it. However, I also recognize that it is easier than managing an email list, etc. so I'd be inclined to volunteer to manage communications via email for a group that thought they needed FB.

lyonmommy

I completely understand the FB frustration! No one in our house has ever had a FB account, nor do we want one. I have experienced the same thing with people/groups who use it exclusively. There are also some local businesses around here that use it exclusively, as well.
Not interested.

Strangeite

Frustrated with the parent-school groups that only communicate through Facebook.
Ditto. I have never had a Facebook account and very proud of that fact. My son just missed the celebratory party for his robotics team making it to Worlds yesterday because the coach announced it on the Facebook group and forgot to put it on the Remind app.

Nia

First trip abroad since 2019 booked! Travelling to Spain, staying in Europe this year but it's step in the right direction. Bit anxious about it to be honest

ThemeParkCommando

First trip abroad since 2019 booked! Travelling to Spain, staying in Europe this year but it's step in the right direction. Bit anxious about it to be honest
It is hard to take those first steps. We were nervous all through our December WDW trip. We are just now getting back to eating in restaurants and going to movies. It does get a little easier, each time, though. Have fun on your trip!

Reactions: Nia

Anne

Congrats! I hear you about the anxiety. We are doing a group Europe tour and then some time on our own, leaving in 3 weeks. What is daunting is how to contingency plan if we get COVID on the trip. We're comfortable with the risk of actual sickness which is why we are ok with traveling again. It's the logistics of responsible travel and quarantine, rerouting home, and missing the tour we've been dreaming about for several years. On the other hand we only have a short window to do the World travel we want to do with the kids before they are adults and it appears that this additional risk will be with us for quite some time to come.

Congrats. I felt the same way before our April WDW trip. We hadn't been on a plane since 2019. But I'm so glad we did it.

ThemeParkCommando

ARGGGG.. just a rant. I wanted to see Top Gun: Maverick on the IMAX screen in my city. They ran Dr. Strange for a full month, even sharing the showings with Top Gun during the first two weeks. I figured they'd drop Dr. Strange and add Jurassic World when that movie came out, but NO, they dropped both and are running only Jurassic World on both the IMAX screens.
I like going to the movies after the crowds have died down, so was planning Top Gun for this coming Tuesday. Looks like I missed it on the IMAX. I'm a little bummed.
Going to see it on the AVX screen, and I am going to hope after Jurassic World's first week that they put Top Gun back in one of the IMAX theaters.

George

The ratio of people to cake is too big.
ARGGGG.. just a rant. I wanted to see Top Gun: Maverick on the IMAX screen in my city. They ran Dr. Strange for a full month, even sharing the showings with Top Gun during the first two weeks. I figured they'd drop Dr. Strange and add Jurassic World when that movie came out, but NO, they dropped both and are running only Jurassic World on both the IMAX screens.
I like going to the movies after the crowds have died down, so was planning Top Gun for this coming Tuesday. Looks like I missed it on the IMAX. I'm a little bummed.
Going to see it on the AVX screen, and I am going to hope after Jurassic World's first week that they put Top Gun back in one of the IMAX theaters.
Pro-tip: Dolby Cinema (only at AMC Theatres) offers a much better quality (if smaller screen) experience than IMAX. There really is no comparison. If you want a huge screen, sit closer. The picture resolution and sound quality difference is noticeable. Dolby is the way to go.

Strangeite

Pro-tip: Dolby Cinema (only at AMC Theatres) offers a much better quality (if smaller screen) experience than IMAX. There really is no comparison. If you want a huge screen, sit closer. The picture resolution and sound quality difference is noticeable. Dolby is the way to go.

I am no expert, but I thought it went like this. IMAX Laser > Dolby > IMAX. The problem is that there are few IMAX Laser theaters.

George

I am no expert, but I thought it went like this. IMAX Laser > Dolby > IMAX. The problem is that there are few IMAX Laser theaters.
Maybe with regards to image (maybe), but yes, very few IMAX Laser, and soooo many LieMAX screens out there. Dolby Atmos is currently the state of the art.

George

Happy Father's Day to all! Have a terrific day with your loved ones.

Dad gave me my first haircut, c. 1967.

LgoVKZml.jpg

Nia

Hola from Spain! First foreign trip in 3 years. LOVE IT.

2023 the guys want to go to California including DLC. I am perfectly happy with the choice. We will be back to WDW but not next year. I am also glad they took the decision to be honest, its usually me planning and organising everything

bnoble

he's right
It's been....a week. One thing after another from the corner of 1st and Maryland NE and surrounding environs.

We had a discussion with our kids this past Christmas about where they might end up. When M and I chose our current spot, we did so in large part because of where our parents lived. We encouraged them both to consider options outside the US, or at least to not assume that where we lived mattered, and that we'd spend time being closer to them if they lived far away, even if they lived in very different places.

I'm glad we've had that discussion, and imagine we will keep having it. I don't think I could have imagined saying it even five years ago. I suspect once I let myself get there, there will be a lot of grief around...all of this.