Incredible Chase Sapphire Reserve Introductory Promotion

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Another perk of booking air travel using CUR points: no fees. This is a big deal if you book international flights. With those, booking award travel through an airline will get you a free ticket, but you're still responsible for taxes and fuel surcharges, which could add hundreds of dollars to that "free" ticket. Not so with flights booked through CUR with CUR points. And even with domestic flights, you'll save at least that $5.60 TSA surcharge levied on airline award travel.

kmc8826

Sorry, a bit late to the party...is this still a 'good deal' for those who are just signing up now (or is there a better one out there at this point)? The terms aren't quite as good at this point as they were when the thread was started - just wondering whether anyone has come across a better promo lately - TIA.
If you qualify (have any type of small business) the Chase Ink Business Preffered has a sign up bonus of 80,000 UR points right now. The regular Sapphire has 50,000 as well and the annual fee is waived the first year. 5000 more UR if add an authorized user.

MrFredricksen

We have the Disney Visa, but it has now been hacked for the 4th time in about 3 years. Since it was our only card we decided it was time to get another card as well. We picked the Capital One Venture card. Normally there is a 40,000 bonus are spending $3,000 in the first 3 months, but we got a promotion of 50,000 instead. That is worth $500 in travel rewards. Annual fee is $59 a year with the first year waived. Everything, is worth 2 point per dollar, no exceptions. Points never expire. The only issue is we aren't 100% sure if we can use it for Disney. The points can be used for pretty much any travel, airfare, hotel, cruises, rental cars, even taxis. But when we book Disney, we book through them, pay them, and get a package. There is a chance that the category it comes through as might not be in travel. We will have to call first (assuming we have so many points that the airfare and rental car are already covered and then we want to use the rest on Disney)

mgarbowski

I'm maybe booking plane tickets soon that will cost $500-550. I can use the about 35,000 of the 100k Chase points I got from this deal, or the $300 travel Credit also from this card, plus $150 in Delta gift certificates I bought with unused Amex air incidental credits. Either way I pay $0 OOP. Do I care which one? I cannot think of a reason to prioritize one over the other. The $300 credit expires at year end but i I don't use it on this trip I will have no trouble using it by year end on other travel that is easily 98% definite so that is not a concern.

ETA: I just realized my math error. The $300 credit plus gift certificates leaves me $50-100 out of pocket, but I'm fine with that. So the question still stands.

Last edited:

Alcachofa

I'm maybe booking plane tickets soon that will cost $500-550. I can use the about 35,000 of the 100k Chase points I got from this deal, or the $300 travel Credit also from this card, plus $150 in Delta gift certificates I bought with unused Amex air incidental credits. Either way I pay $0 OOP. Do I care which one? I cannot think of a reason to prioritize one over the other. The $300 credit expires at year end but i I don't use it on this trip I will have no trouble using it by year end on other travel that is easily 98% definite so that is not a concern.

ETA: I just realized my math error. The $300 credit plus gift certificates leaves me $50-100 out of pocket, but I'm fine with that. So the question still stands.
Anything that expires, I would use first, no matter how definite my future plans might be.

George

Anything that expires, I would use first, no matter how definite my future plans might be.
I agree. Use up your perk first and get that statement credit!

I tend to be miserly when spending CUR points, saving them for a family day. I just purchased a $337 ticket in American. American wanted 60,000 Aadvantage miles, but I used only 22,600 CUR points. I love that 50% bonus. And we still have 1.25MM points in our CUR account.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Getting close to our one-year anniversary on this (impending $450 annual fee) and considering downgrading to the Ultimate Freedom (no annual fee). Kind of on the fence about this. Seems like downgrading from Reserve to Platinum doesn't make financial sense for us, but dropping all the way down to Freedom might. We've already gotten 2x $300 travel credit, 100,000 points and TSA PreCheck. Reupping for $450 would get us another $300 travel credit for CY 2018 netting the annual fee down to $150. So I guess I need to calculate whether the benefits of the Reserve are > $150/year better than the Ultimate Freedom.

Any additional insight or things to consider?

George

For earning, the Reserve or the Preferred are best for dining and travel, so if you do a lot of either, it's the card to have. I'd downgrade to the Preferred if you don't want to pay the annual fee. Still, keeping one Reserve is good because it's the only one which gives primary coverage on rental cars; all others, if they offer coverage, go through your insurance first. You did both get a Reserve, didn't you? ;)

The Freedom is a good card to have, regardless. CUR points earned there can be transferred to the Sapphire Reserve, which yield the 50% bonus. We have the basic Freedom because we like the quarterly bonus categories, but then we always transfer CUR points to the Reserve accounts for the bonus. That bonus is not to be underestimated.

Another thought: depending on current promos, you might want to downgrade the Reserve to the Freedom and then re-apply for a new one Reserve for the extra $300 credit as well as the sign-up bonus. Just make sure to transfer your CUR points to the Freedom, and verify that you can do this so soon after downgrading. The $600 in travel credits will pay for the annual fee, you'll have primary insurance on car rentals, and the 50% bonus for all CUR points, including the sign-up bonus which, I think, is 50,000 points ($750 in travel!) now.

kmc8826

Getting close to our one-year anniversary on this (impending $450 annual fee) and considering downgrading to the Ultimate Freedom (no annual fee). Kind of on the fence about this. Seems like downgrading from Reserve to Platinum doesn't make financial sense for us, but dropping all the way down to Freedom might. We've already gotten 2x $300 travel credit, 100,000 points and TSA PreCheck. Reupping for $450 would get us another $300 travel credit for CY 2018 netting the annual fee down to $150. So I guess I need to calculate whether the benefits of the Reserve are > $150/year better than the Ultimate Freedom.

Any additional insight or things to consider?
I saw this today and it might help: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/keep-downgrade-cancel-chase-sapphire-reserve/amp/

I think rather or not you keep it depends on what other cards you have. If I were to downgrade I would get the Freedom for the bonus categories (as long as you are someone that doesn't mind the switching quarter to quarter). I am keeping the Reserve just for the car insurance benefit. With the travel credit I look at it as a $195 annual fee.

For earning, the Reserve or the Preferred are best for dining and travel, so if you do a lot of either, it's the card to have. I'd downgrade to the Preferred if you don't want to pay the annual fee. Still, keeping one Reserve is good because it's the only one which gives primary coverage on rental cars; all others, if they offer coverage, go through your insurance first. You did both get a Reserve, didn't you? ;)

The Freedom is a good card to have, regardless. CUR points earned there can be transferred to the Sapphire Reserve, which yield the 50% bonus. We have the basic Freedom because we like the quarterly bonus categories, but then we always transfer CUR points to the Reserve accounts for the bonus. That bonus is not to be underestimated.

Another thought: depending on current promos, you might want to downgrade the Reserve to the Freedom and then re-apply for a new one Reserve for the extra $300 credit as well as the sign-up bonus. Just make sure to transfer your CUR points to the Freedom, and verify that you can do this so soon after downgrading. The $600 in travel credits will pay for the annual fee, you'll have primary insurance on car rentals, and the 50% bonus for all CUR points, including the sign-up bonus which, I think, is 50,000 points ($750 in travel!) now.
Being successful as George suggests above would depend on where you are with Chase's 5/24 rule. And I think you have to wait two years before you get a bonus on a Chase card again. Close account, wait 2 years, then get new card and new bonus.

George

Being successful as George suggests above would depend on where you are with Chase's 5/24 rule. And I think you have to wait two years before you get a bonus on a Chase card again. Close account, wait 2 years, then get new card and new bonus.
I think you're right about not getting another bonus.

I'm not sure, however, if one would be excluded from bonuses from other Chase brands.

Last edited:

Anne

I'm not sure, however, if one would be excluded from bonuses from other Chase brands.
I don't think it excludes you for other chase card bonuses for 2 years. I was looking at the southwest chase card and it only stipulates (grrrr autocorrect) no chase southwest miles signup bonus in the last 2 years. My husband did the saphire reserve sign up January and is thinking of re-signing up for southwest.

Speaking of southwest, does anyone know if the 60,000 mile bonus was extended. I could still google the higher mileage signup page but didn't go any further.

Last edited:

kmc8826

I don't think it excludes you for other chase card bonuses for 2 years. I was looking at the southwest chase card and it only stimulates no chase southwest miles signup bonus in the last 2 years. My husband did the saphire reserve sign up January and is thinking of re-signing up for southwest.

Speaking of southwest, does anyone know if the 60,000 mile bonus was extended. I could still google the higher mileage signup page but didn't go any further.
If you cancel a card and then wait 2 years and sign up for it and get approved you can get the bonus again. I.e. I had the Chase Southwest Visa a couple of years ago, cancelled it after a year, and now could get it again if I wanted too (and get the bonus). I just meant a bonus again on the SAME card, i.e. Reserve again after cancel, wait two years, get again. My response was poorly worded. If you downgrade the Reserve to the Freedom or FU you won't get the sign up bonus, but the bonus on those two cards isn't that great anyway. As long as you are not above the 5/24 and have good credit you can get multiple Chase bonuses within a short timeframe. I got the Reserve bonus and the Freedom bonus within a month last September.

I am pretty sure the sign up bonus on the Southwest expired. I didn't follow that closely though since not interested.

CJG17

I have the southwest visa and love it. I just checked the referral page, and it says if I refer you, then you get 50,000 points. I would be happy to do it since I would get 10,000 points too. If interested send me an email cgallagher620@gmail.com

George

I have the southwest visa and love it. I just checked the referral page, and it says if I refer you, then you get 50,000 points. I would be happy to do it since I would get 10,000 points too. If interested send me an email cgallagher620@gmail.com
The best Southwest deal is to sign up for their regular and business Visas at the end of the year, do the minimum spend at the beginning of the year, and then you'll have not only the sign-up bonuses (for lots of points), but a free companion pass for two years! You want to qualify as early as possible in January of any given year to maximize your two-year double companion pass, since the clock starts ticking once you qualify.

kmc8826

I was thinking of doing this as a separate post but just thought would hijack onto this giant one.

Our last Disney trip (end of January) was paid for by UR points. We had two rooms stayed onsite at CBR. No out of pocket cost. The UR site can be a bit of a pain, but it isn't as bad as Disney sometimes can be! Once you book it you can contact Disney Wholesale and get the reservation number so it is all set in MDE. If you have a bunch of points you don't know what to do with it should be thought of as an option.

I haven't done it yet, but there is also a way to book a Disney trip and then turn the reservation over to Chase and pay for the trip with UR points. It is all through Chase and their Cruise and Tours Department.

My husband and I just got back from Maui. Transferred the UR points to Hyatt directly and then stayed 6 nights at the Hyatt Regency Maui. 20,000 points a night and since it was an all point stay no resort fees.

View from our balcony. Not the best but the price was right!

If you have more questions or want more specific details let me know. Start planning your next trip and use those points. :)

CJG17

The best Southwest deal is to sign up for their regular and business Visas at the end of the year, do the minimum spend at the beginning of the year, and then you'll have not only the sign-up bonuses (for lots of points), but a free companion pass for two years! You want to qualify as early as possible in January of any given year to maximize your two-year double companion pass, since the clock starts ticking once you qualify.
I am clearly missing out! Can you explain how this works, since I feel like I will never qualify for a companion pass? So I got a 50,000 point bonus at sign up, and an additional 3,320 points because that’s how much I spent the first month. But I need 110,000 to qualify for a companion pass. So 57,000 points more. I will not spend that much. Is there a way to still qualify for the companion pass?

George

I am clearly missing out! Can you explain how this works, since I feel like I will never qualify for a companion pass? So I got a 50,000 point bonus at sign up, and an additional 3,320 points because that’s how much I spent the first month. But I need 110,000 to qualify for a companion pass. So 57,000 points more. I will not spend that much. Is there a way to still qualify for the companion pass?
Yes. Simply put, you have to get the business card as well (60,000 point sign-up bonus), but make sure you finish the qualified spend after the first of the year. You'll then have the companion pass for next year and the year after that.

You can read about it HERE, but I wouldn't sign up through that site.

Aimeep

Southwest has 2 personal cards and one business card. You can get both personal cards if you don't have a business. That should get you close to the 110,000 miles.

CJG17

Dear SW Visa Chase Experts,

I think I may have done it, but now I have another question. So, I already had the SW Visa Plus (got 50,000 points in Feb) (up to about 55,000 by now) now got approved for the SW Visa Primere (so hopefully will get another 50,000). So after another month or 2 of spending should have the 110,000 points if it all works out the way I am hoping. So I should have enough to qualify for a companion pass. Now my question:

I have already booked SW flights with points for the 4 of us to travel to MCO in mid-July. Assuming I reach my 110,000 before then, will I be able to apply the companion pass to this trip (and would I have to rebook at current price points if I wish to do that?) - the price has gone up since I booked.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
I have already booked SW flights with points for the 4 of us to travel to MCO in mid-July. Assuming I reach my 110,000 before then, will I be able to apply the companion pass to this trip (and would I have to rebook at current price points if I wish to do that?) - the price has gone up since I booked.
You can just cancel the points ticket for your "companion" and then add them back as a free companion ticket. You don't have to cancel any other tickets. Those points will be refunded back to the account they came from.