Incredible Chase Sapphire Reserve Introductory Promotion

LibraryTink

We currently have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, think they'd let me upgrade to this or is for new card applications only?

mgarbowski

We currently have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, think they'd let me upgrade to this or is for new card applications only?
I have 2 other Chase cards. Neither is the Sapphire Preferred but they had no apparent effect on my application, perks or bonuses. You often cannot sign up for the same card twice and get a bonus, but I have never heard of this being an issue for related cards. EG if you have an Amex Gold card and they run a promo for Platinum sign ups you would be eligible. I think you might not "upgrade" per se but just add the Reserve and cancel the Preferred. Before doing that, I would inquire to find out what happens to accumulated points on the Preferred if you cancel. I'm not sure they can just transfer over because points earned with the Reserve are worth more in the portal than the Preferred points.

LibraryTink

Thanks, Mark - good to know that you had 2 other Chase cards and applied - we do as well and I can't see holding on to all three. I may just go ahead and apply as a new account and try to use my remaining Preferred points on gift cards or something. We used some points for flights for an upcoming December Disney trip so the balance isn't crazy high, anyway.

Thanks, again.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
They will let you upgrade, but you won't get the promotional bonuses. My Preferred expires next month, and I won't renew it. But I will transfer the available credit to my new Reserve before closing the Preferred.

kmc8826

As said by George, apply for the Reserve as a new application so you get the bonus. If you have the online account you can do it through there and see where it is an offered card. I also had a Preferred but got the Reserve. It doesn't make sense to have both since the reserve has 3 times on dining and travel where preferred only has 2. You can transfer your preferred UR points to the Reserve account. Then just this week I didn't have a Freedom Unlimited so I called them and had them change the Preferred to that. I don't plan on using the FU, but it doesn't hurt to have it since it is a no fee card. Chase will let you change around how much credit you have on each card (even if you don't use it that way you can balance it better for your overall credit score). I already had a Freedom or would have gotten that instead...it is 5% back at stores like Costco through the end of the year.

mgarbowski

Got a notice from UPS my card is scheduled to arrive tomorrow after applying Thursday. Chase is apparently pretty anxious to get these into consumers' wallets.

Anne

I've never used chase rewards before so wondering how the point redemption works. The link says "50% more" in redemption, 100,000 points is equivalent to $1500 in travel. What exactly does that mean? Because then later it says 1:1 exchange for miles. So 50% more applies to other travel such as hotels etc? I'm thinking I might as well dump my southwest card too for this one. As it mentions 1:1 exchange for southwest miles and the southwest card only gets 1% for everything, there are no 3% categories. So am I correct in my understanding this one does everything the southwest one does and more? And for the first 2 years at least when you factor in the $300 travel credit the annual fee is only $50 more than the southwest annual fee of $100.

mgarbowski

The 1:1 ratio and 50% more confusion is based on two ways of using your points. You can transfer the points to the listed airline program at a 1:1 ratio. Then those points are worth whatever that airline offers.

Separately, you can book travel through the Chase Rewards portal and pay for all or part of your booking with points at a conversion rate of 1.5 cents per 100 points, AKA $1.50 per 1,000 points. Many (most?) airlines let you do this but at $1.00 per 1,000 points. Also, the Chase conversion shows up in the Airline system as a pure cash purchase so you can earn points when you do this. Most airlines don't let you earn points when you do this, even if you mix points and cash. EG, you buy a $350 ticket at Delta.com, using 10,000 points and $250 real dollars. You would earn 0 points for that. Book through the Chase portal, use 10,000 points worth $150, pay only $200 actual cash, and earn more points on the whole thing.

I'm not familiar enough with SouthWest to answer your other questions. Also, everything I did write is based on what I've read either at the Chase site or various places on the internet, and I've lost track of what info came from where, and if anything is wrong, oops and sorry? But I'm pretty sure it's right.

LibraryTink

I have just signed up this new one, but I do have a Chase Preferred that is similar. The 50% more is when you are booking reward travel through them. I did this with flights to San Juan last January and it worked out great for us. You can book through many airlines and also book rental cars & hotels through them. I comparison shopped and the airline prices looked like what I could get straight through Delta. I feel like I'm not explaining it well, sorry - if you had 100,000 points and wanted to cash out, they would give you $1000. If you use it to book travel through them, you get $1500 credit toward booked travel.

Also, I recently needed points transferred to my southwest travel point program (not a southwest credit card) and it worked easily for that, the points helped me get enough to fly on points to Orlando in December.

So, you may or may not want to cancel the southwest card, I've never had one of those so I don't know all the perks and details. It did seem like it didn't show me southwest as an option when I tried to book travel straight through Chase.

Hopefully, a more credit card/ financial guru will respond and help make sense of what I just tried to say! :)

Anne

So in some cases you do better purchasing air through the chase portal rather than converting to miles if it happens to be an option for your flight?

mgarbowski

So in some cases you do better purchasing air through the chase portal rather than converting to miles if it happens to be an option for your flight?
It can be, but if you book a pure rewards flight at an airline that often requires fewer points than using points as a cash credit. The catch is that pure rewards seats are subject to limited availability and also less subject to changes, etc.Using the same $350 example as above, you would need 35,000 points at Delta.com to avoid paying any cash on a $350"cash" booking. But if you book a "reward" non-cash ticket it might only need 30,000 points or less but good luck getting it.

mgarbowski

This is the standard and implicit #DisneyBlogger disclaimer. ;)

Usually don't feel the need but having no experience with the card yet I felt that much more uncertain about its workings. I do like the formulation of the disclaimer, tho. Maybe I should TM it and sit back while the big royalty checks come in.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Usually don't feel the need but having no experience with the card yet I felt that much more uncertain about its workings. I do like the formulation of the disclaimer, tho. Maybe I should TM it and sit back while the big royalty checks come in.
#ThanksMark

kmc8826

If you just google chase rewards partners a bunch of articles pops up. This was one of them.
https://upgradedpoints.com/chase-ultimate-rewards-review/
Scroll to the bottom and it lists the airline and hotel partners. So basically you can book through the reward portal (which is what I did with my Sapphire Preferred points for a recent trip to Maryland) or you can transfer points straight across. In the future, now that I am starting to figure it out I have joined the Hyatt reward program and will transfer UR points to Hyatt and then use those to book...you kind of double dip on benefits that way and it is actually less points. Just to give you an idea though I had about 60,000 points in August. I had used maybe 16,000 to stay a night at the MCO Hyatt. The 60,000 UR points gave us 5 nights (two in a Staybridge Suites in VA, two in Hyatt in MD, and one airport hotel by BWI). I could have stayed cheaper places...then we could have had 10 nights.

Anne, Southwest is a 1:1 travel partner. So yes if you have the Reserve you don't really need the Southwest.

We are a hub city of Delta so that is the best airline to fly out of; UR doesn't transfer to Delta though. I thought about buying the tickets through the UR hub but then they are just the basic (non assigned seats) and since it wasn't what I wanted it didn't seem like a good value. Plus I also have a Delta Platinum Amex so paying cash or using miles usually makes the most sense for flights for us.

mgarbowski

I applied on Tuesday, got approved, and received my card today. Just in time for back-to-back Disney trips. I'll buy my DVC AP vouchers for activation next October. All Disney purchases (including DVC dues!) are coded as travel.
George how certain are you of this and what's the source? I just looked into whether park tickets would code as travel and found an article by The Points Guy in 2015 tat said he did not get 2x points on the Sapphire Preferred when he bought WDW park tickets:
http://thepointsguy.com/2015/02/maximizing-purchases-and-redeeming-awards-at-disney-resorts/
"[FONT=&quot]Case in point, TPG himself recently took a family vacation to Walt Disney World and was stunned to learn th[/FONT][FONT=&quot]at the [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, HelveticaNeue, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Barcla[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, HelveticaNeue, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ycard Arrival Plus[/FONT][FONT=&quot] did not consider the park to be a “tourist attraction,” so it wasn’t eligible for a mileage redemption. Furthermore, the tickets he purchased did not count as “travel purchases” to receive 2x on his [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, HelveticaNeue, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chase Sapphire Prefer[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, HelveticaNeue, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]red[/FONT][FONT=&quot]."
The Chase FAQ sates:
[/FONT]"Merchants in the travel category include airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, campgrounds, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, and operators of passenger trains, buses, taxis, limousines, ferries, toll bridges and highways, and parking lots and garages. Please note that some merchants that provide transportation and travel-related services are not included in this category; for example, real estate agents, websites or owners that rent vacation properties, in-flight goods and services, on-board cruise line goods and services, sightseeing activities, tourist attractions, merchants within airports, and merchants that rent vehicles for the purpose of hauling. In addition, the purchasing of points or miles does not qualify in this category."

[FONT=&quot]I'm thinking WDW parks would be a tourist attraction and not travel. Maybe if you buy your tickets as part of a package it probably is, but I'm definitely thinking your point that all things Disney or WDW count as travel is probably too broad unless you have some source I'm missing. This is of particular interest to me since I'm planning to buy APs [/FONT][FONT=&quot]soon.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]and take advantage of the 13-month deal.

[/FONT]

George

George how certain are you of this and what's the source? I just looked into whether park tickets would code as travel and found an article by The Points Guy in 2015 tat said he did not get 2x points on the Sapphire Preferred when he bought WDW park tickets:
http://thepointsguy.com/2015/02/maximizing-purchases-and-redeeming-awards-at-disney-resorts/
"[FONT=&quot]Case in point, TPG himself recently took a family vacation to Walt Disney World and was stunned to learn th[/FONT][FONT=&quot]at the [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, HelveticaNeue, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Barcla[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, HelveticaNeue, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ycard Arrival Plus[/FONT][FONT=&quot] did not consider the park to be a “tourist attraction,” so it wasn’t eligible for a mileage redemption. Furthermore, the tickets he purchased did not count as “travel purchases” to receive 2x on his [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, HelveticaNeue, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chase Sapphire Prefer[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, HelveticaNeue, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]red[/FONT][FONT=&quot]."
The Chase FAQ sates:
[/FONT]"Merchants in the travel category include airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, campgrounds, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, and operators of passenger trains, buses, taxis, limousines, ferries, toll bridges and highways, and parking lots and garages. Please note that some merchants that provide transportation and travel-related services are not included in this category; for example, real estate agents, websites or owners that rent vacation properties, in-flight goods and services, on-board cruise line goods and services, sightseeing activities, tourist attractions, merchants within airports, and merchants that rent vehicles for the purpose of hauling. In addition, the purchasing of points or miles does not qualify in this category."

[FONT=&quot]I'm thinking WDW parks would be a tourist attraction and not travel. Maybe if you buy your tickets as part of a package it probably is, but I'm definitely thinking your point that all things Disney or WDW count as travel is probably too broad unless you have some source I'm missing. This is of particular interest to me since I'm planning to buy APs [/FONT][FONT=&quot]soon.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]and take advantage of the 13-month deal.

[/FONT]
Funny, because anything I've ever charged at WDW has been coded as travel (even DVC dues!), so I assumed park tickets were as well. But sure enough, I just checked my Reserve statement for the MNSSHP tickets I recently charged, and they are coded as "all other purchases," with a 1:1 points-to-dollar reward. So you're right, park tickets are not coded as travel. I apologize for the misinformation.

mgarbowski

Funny, because anything I've ever charged at WDW has been coded as travel (even DVC dues!), so I assumed park tickets were as well. But sure enough, I just checked my Reserve statement for the MNSSHP tickets I recently charged, and they are coded as "all other purchases," with a 1:1 points-to-dollar reward. So you're right, park tickets are not coded as travel. I apologize for the misinformation.
No worries. This is why I try to double check things. I'll probably put the AP purchase on another card.

George

No worries. This is why I try to double check things. I'll probably put the AP purchase on another card.
I'll still use a Chase Ultimate Rewards card for that purchase, as CUR points are so valuable, even at 1:1.