Incredible Chase Sapphire Reserve Introductory Promotion

jdn0018

I don't have a lot of credit card experience so this may be a very ignorant question... does the annual fee apply have to be paid with the initial application/receipt of card or only after the first year of use?

mgarbowski

I don't have a lot of credit card experience so this may be a very ignorant question... does the annual fee apply have to be paid with the initial application/receipt of card or only after the first year of use?
It is not due with the application or receipt of the card, but I believe it will be billed in the first monthly statement, which I have not gotten to yet.

Aimeep

Anyone know if Undercovertourist is coded as travel for Chase? I think it was in 2015 when I bought Disney tickets. If I bought Universal Tickets using the new chase card would that be refundable As the $300 travel credit? I already have Disney tickets for our next trip (2018 or so), but I think it would be worth it to buy the Universal tickets using this system. A 2 day ticket, plus 1 free day is about $250 on their site. I need 4. If I buy 2 this year, get the $300 credit, then, buy 2 in January and get the next year $300 credit, that would mean a little more than half my tickets would be refunded. Plus, if
I timed it right it would be in my 90 days of spending for the bonus 100,000 points. But, with no real travel planned for the next year, I would hate to get the card and not use the (2) $300 credits for something. Anyone have any thoughts on this or plans to use undercovertourist to buy tickets? Feel free to tell me if there is a better source for tickets and if any of them are coded as travel for Chase (I already know Josh does not like undercovertourist).

sprout

We are a hub city of Delta so that is the best airline to fly out of; UR doesn't transfer to Delta though. I thought about buying the tickets through the UR hub but then they are just the basic (non assigned seats) and since it wasn't what I wanted it didn't seem like a good value. Plus I also have a Delta Platinum Amex so paying cash or using miles usually makes the most sense for flights for us.
I'm new to this, but reading a lot, so to quote Mark, "if anything is wrong, oops and sorry?" But Delta is in an airline alliance with British Airways and UR points can be transferred to British Airways, so you can book award travel on Delta with British Airways points. It gets really complicated, but I think that is part of what makes UR points valuable, with their transfer partners and the airline alliances you can pretty much get a reward flight on any airlines.

sprout

See, I knew I'd get it wrong. Delta is in an alliance with Korea Air (transfer partner with UR). British Airways is in an alliance with American. oops and sorry?

PS. Mark, let me know where to send royalty checks

mgarbowski

We are a hub city of Delta so that is the best airline to fly out of; UR doesn't transfer to Delta though. I thought about buying the tickets through the UR hub but then they are just the basic (non assigned seats) and since it wasn't what I wanted it didn't seem like a good value. Plus I also have a Delta Platinum Amex so paying cash or using miles usually makes the most sense for flights for us.
I looked into this because I just like flying Delta and you're right, the Chase UR portal can't handle Delta's dual-tier coach system and only the most basic option seems to be available, not the standard coach option which they now call Main Cabin. It's doubly annoying because in addition to the Main Cabin not being an option, the portal does not make it at all clear that you are getting the super low value class.

FWIW I did some research and found one discussion in a Disqus comment section where people reported that if you call the UR telephone line you can get a Main Cabin booking, but if you accidentally book the lower class they cannot change it for you (but they might be able to cancel if caught very quickly).

As Sprout noted the best Delta value for UR points might be to book via one of the partners that Delta and Chase have in common, just pick the right partner. Speaking of which....

See, I knew I'd get it wrong. Delta is in an alliance with Korea Air (transfer partner with UR). British Airways is in an alliance with American. oops and sorry?

PS. Mark, let me know where to send royalty checks
This forum has a general royalty-free license.:RpS_biggrin:

R&RMom

Ok, I think I need this "dumbed down" for me. You guys are like credit card geniuses. Anyways, I pay $450 and get $300 towards travel which I have to use by December 2016 and another $300 credit towards travel which can be applied to 2017 purchases. So I'm paying $450 the first year for $600 in credits, making me up $150. Then I get 100,000 in points which I can redeem for $1,000 or apply to travel purchased through Ultimate Reward for a savings of $1,500. So bare minimum, I make $1,150 on this card???

$1,000 cash rewards
$600 travel rewards
-$450 first year fee
= $1,150

Or am I completely misunderstanding this?

We have no plans to travel through the remainder of 2016, but I could buy a WDW ticket for a later date and apply the $300 credit to that.

Thanks George, Mike & Kim!!!

Anne

Got a notice from UPS my card is scheduled to arrive tomorrow after applying Thursday. Chase is apparently pretty anxious to get these into consumers' wallets.
I'm hoping they continue the trend so I get my card in time for our trip in 9 days. Now that the card "has gone viral" I'm afraid the turn around might be longer. I would have applied sooner but every time I apply for something I have to unblock all my credit reports for a day which is a pain!!!! Because I still can't pass my identity questions because there are still fraudulent employers, accounts, inquiries on there. Gotta love it when they try to verify your identity based on items posted from identity theft grrrrrr!!!!!! At least all the important stuff is fixed (ie negative) so I'm approved. But still an irritant.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
Ok, I think I need this "dumbed down" for me. You guys are like credit card geniuses. Anyways, I pay $450 and get $300 towards travel which I have to use by December 2016 and another $300 credit towards travel which can be applied to 2017 purchases. So I'm paying $450 the first year for $600 in credits, making me up $150. Then I get 100,000 in points which I can redeem for $1,000 or apply to travel purchased through Ultimate Reward for a savings of $1,500. So bare minimum, I make $1,150 on this card???

$1,000 cash rewards
$600 travel rewards
-$450 first year fee
= $1,150

Or am I completely misunderstanding this?

We have no plans to travel through the remainder of 2016, but I could buy a WDW ticket for a later date and apply the $300 credit to that.

Thanks George, Mike & Kim!!!
That's about right.

4-25,000-mile award tickets would probably have cost you more than $1,000, or should. Using 25,000 miles for a $250 ticket isn't a wise use of points.

And don't forget the $100 Global Services/TSA PreCheck reimbursement. Or the extended insurance on trips and car rentals. And..., well, you get the idea.

Note that the $600 travel statement credits in the first year assumes you're going to cancel the card at or before your anniversary date when you're charged another $450 annual fee. If you don't, you won't get another $600; you'll just have $300 per calendar year, which in the first year straddles two calendar years, hence the "extra" $300.

mgarbowski

My one possible correction to R&R Mom's question is whether the $300 travel credit will apply to a WDW ticket purchase. We established above that WDW park ticket buys don't count as travel for the 3x point earning multiplier. I expect they don't count for the $300 credit either. So you could find it hard to use the 2016 credit with no other big travel purchase. But note that travel includes a number of local options: "Merchants in the travel category include airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, campgrounds, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, and operators of passenger trains, buses, taxis, limousines, ferries, toll bridges and highways, and parking lots and garages."

Do you or a family member paying a monthly garage fee, or buy a commuter rail pass, or take a lot of taxis? I've heard but not confirmed that Uber and Lyft count as travel. I've read mixed things about EZ-Pass or similar government toll programs -- some said it came up as a government fee, others said it is travel.

mgarbowski

I'm hoping they continue the trend so I get my card in time for our trip in 9 days. Now that the card "has gone viral" I'm afraid the turn around might be longer. I would have applied sooner but every time I apply for something I have to unblock all my credit reports for a day which is a pain!!!! Because I still can't pass my identity questions because there are still fraudulent employers, accounts, inquiries on there. Gotta love it when they try to verify your identity based on items posted from identity theft grrrrrr!!!!!! At least all the important stuff is fixed (ie negative) so I'm approved. But still an irritant.
My experience was just within the last week so I see no reason to expect they are slowing down. It should arrive very soon for you.

quince

I applied Thursday and had my card yesterday.

George

My one possible correction to R&R Mom's question is whether the $300 travel credit will apply to a WDW ticket purchase. We established above that WDW park ticket buys don't count as travel for the 3x point earning multiplier. I expect they don't count for the $300 credit either. So you could find it hard to use the 2016 credit with no other big travel purchase. But note that travel includes a number of local options: "Merchants in the travel category include airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, campgrounds, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, and operators of passenger trains, buses, taxis, limousines, ferries, toll bridges and highways, and parking lots and garages."

Do you or a family member paying a monthly garage fee, or buy a commuter rail pass, or take a lot of taxis? I've heard but not confirmed that Uber and Lyft count as travel. I've read mixed things about EZ-Pass or similar government toll programs -- some said it came up as a government fee, others said it is travel.
Our $300 travel credits were for $288 (airline ticket purchase) and $12 (ParkWhiz, a parking app). So I don't know if our MNSSHP tix would've been considered a travel purchase.

Here's the Visa Merchant Coding Search Tool, which might be tough to use since it requires an address.

Last edited:

Anne

How are the restaurants at the parks coded, restaurant or travel? And if you charge the meal to your room and pay off the room balance does that make a difference in the category?

I ask because I just realized I might have trouble using the $300 travel credit by 12/31. We are going to Disney in 9 days but room is DVC and already have flights so really the only remaining cost is meals. I've already purchased my flights for February and March with miles. I suppose worst case scenario I cancel the miles reservation and use the card to rebook the ticket, hoping the price doesn't go up in the interum. The other nice thing about using miles is flights can be changed or rebooked without any loss. If the price of the cash reservation goes down I get credit for future travel, but more of a pain to keep track of and redeem.

George

How are the restaurants at the parks coded, restaurant or travel? And if you charge the meal to your room and pay off the room balance does that make a difference in the category?

I ask because I just realized I might have trouble using the $300 travel credit by 12/31. We are going to Disney in 9 days but room is DVC and already have flights so really the only remaining cost is meals. I've already purchased my flights for February and March with miles. I suppose worst case scenario I cancel the miles reservation and use the card to rebook the ticket, hoping the price doesn't go up in the interum. The other nice thing about using miles is flights can be changed or rebooked without any loss. If the price of the cash reservation goes down I get credit for future travel, but more of a pain to keep track of and redeem.
You can always buy a gift card for an airline or hotel you know you're going to use at some point.