iPhone Camera Apps 2018

Alcachofa

Hello. There is an older iPhone app thread, but apps have come a LONG way since 2012. I recently lost my Canon compact camera, and was looking for an apps that can hold me over until I get a new camera.

Are there apps that let you play with the depth of field, for example? I have an iPhone7, btw. I wouldn't be surprised if the 8 does things the 7 can't do.

And I'm talking real photography apps, not recommendations for Instagram or Hipstamatic and the like. (NTTAWWT)

Thanks.

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I'm interested in this too, though I still have my 4 year-old iPhone 6. I suppose I could search online for answers, but I always prefer getting recommendations from "real" people.

AngiTN

Go to the App store Today tab for Tuesday, 8/14. So happens to be a topic.

Last edited:

BeckyW

Besides using the actual Photoshop app, I like ColorStory best for editing.
Depth of field is best achieved using the Portrait mode within the actual iPhone camera settings, but I believe that's a newer feature, for 7plus and more recent versions.
There is a way to take photos, in Instagram story, that allows for a decent focus option, however I think it has to recognize an actual face.

AngiTN

I remembered 2 other apps I've downloaded from past stories featured on the App Store Today tab
I haven't tried them much, just they were recommended apps
Focos
Snapseed

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
You have to kind of fake depth of field since the apertures are fixed. There are many apps that will blur the background for a simulated effect. Portrait mode on the iPhone X simulates it using its second camera. But neither is really adjustable the way you can with a dslr.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
This is with a free free app called “Fore” that offers some manual adjustments to the background and degree of blur. Fore, and I think all of the apps, perform the adjustments on a picture you’ve already taken (I.e., you’re not taking the photo with the app).

C8FDDF38-A094-478B-A3D4-A483B27B11BB.jpg

0F4A3AE8-D317-4B7C-8B6D-8E68E106D7AC.jpg

454EDDB4-EC6F-4351-8086-B06627CC3F68.jpg

Alcachofa

Thanks, y'all!

For some reason I thought there were "pro" apps you actually took the picture with, but I guess it makes sense that they would only adjust the picture the way these apps do anyway. I'll keep looking too and let you know if I find anything of interest.

geek1997

I've used Camera+. It has the ability to even shoot RAW though I haven't tried it and can't speak to the quality. But you can set Exposure and Focus points separately - will have to play with it a bit to get used to the functions. I was able to take better pictures of the castle during HEA with this app than standard Apple Photo app. I think you can purchase filters as well, if that's your thing.

https://iphonephotographyschool.com/camera-plus/

Last edited:

AngiTN

Probably not what you want to know but watching the announcement for the new iPhone launch right now, the new 10S and 10sMax phones will have the ability to adjust depth of field to the photo after it's taken. Pretty spiffy. You can watch them play with the change in the bokeh in a portrait mode photo in the presentation.

Alcachofa

I ended up replacing the camera I mentioned in the OP. So, I ended up not doing much more investigative work on the apps. I still have my iPhone 7.