January 2017 Half Marathon

runDisneygirl

chear squad gets you closer to the the runners. Example - in MK, it will get you closer to the castle area (instead of the riff raff along Main St). It will also get you into the bleachers which are closer to the actual finish line (instead of the riff raff standing along the fence). Mind you - the finish line is not necessarily viewable for spectators anyway. The bleachers are set up BEFORE the finish line. I think it also gets you like a shirt and this and that too.... Not necessarily worth it if you prepare correctly!

I can't find the 2016 event guide, but here is the 2015. The only difference is the marathon course for the runners, but it's marginal. It doesn't effect the spectators! https://www.rundisney.com/media/rundisney/disneyworld-marathon/2015_wdw_program.pdf
Spectator info is towards the end, among the last few pages.

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
You don't need CHear squad to cheer, and by most accounts it's not worth it. My wife and daughter cheered from the Castle Hub (and again from Liberty Square) during the marathon the last two years with no special access needed or required.

3Caballeros

living life to its fullest
OK... this may be a stupid question, but will I need a park ticket to get in there to cheer without the CHear squad package ? I can't imagine going into the park without spending tons of money for a ticket! I know, I know... .no rides....... hehe

runDisneygirl

MK no, no ticket required.
I have heard that they only allow so many spectators before they start turning them away though. Not sure if that's true or not. So I guess get there early if you want to be in MK for sure.
Epcot - only a ticket required if you choose to cheer from INside the park. No ticket required for the pre-finish line area fencing. BUT - I would imagine you'd have to pay for parking? (only if you're off-site, obviously. Or unless they implement that rumoured parking fee/survey thing. But that's another topic for another day) If you park early at Epcot - like 3:30AM, then there is no parking fee. And then you could monorail back to cheer at MK. Does the monorail stop at MK at 5AM? I don't know. You may have to get off at Contemporary and then walk over. I've never been a spectator!

paxsarah

I'm pretty sure the resort monorail is running early for the runners. I stayed at Poly for my first WDW half, and although I walked to TTC, that's how they transported the runners from the other monorail resorts. I assume that once it starts, it keeps running.

3Caballeros

another question:

Proof of Time requirements. I understand that you must show a proof of your time in previous races (10K or more) in order to be a part of the line up. How important is this? If you don't have proof, are you last or what ?:RpS_huh:

paxsarah

Proof of time is pretty critical to being placed in a corral commensurate with your pace. If you don't have it, they will put you in one of the last corrals. Even if you're not concerned about making the pacing requirement, it does help in such a crowded race to start it generally surrounded with people running a comparable pace as you. If you are concerned about making the pacing requirement, then it's really helpful to start in an earlier corral before the "no proof" corrals and have a little bit of a time buffer. (However, I did recently learn that if you submit proof of time that puts you at slower than a 16-minute pace, they will actually place you behind "no proof" people who simply stated a 16-minute pace - so only submit proof of time that will put you at 16 minutes or faster per mile!)

simbasmom

I see that DVC and Passholder registration is April 19th, which is a day we'll be driving from Texas to Arizona. Anyone know where we can get free wi-fi en-route? I'm pretty sure McDonald's and Burger King have it. Anywhere else?

Mrs Darling

If you don't have proof of time you are placed in on of the last corrals. In other races that might not make a difference but in Disney there are an extraordinary number of people who walk, run/walk with a very high walk ratio or will barely finish etc.At local races, I'm very close to the back of the pack - very slow. At Disney, with the same pace, I'm in the middle of the pack.
IMO they also oversell the races too so its very congested for the first few miles and at certain points in the race where the course narrows.
It can be very frustrating if you are in a corral that is much slower than your pace and limited room to pass.

So my advice would be, try to do a 10k and submit a time, even a "slow" one, even if it only gets you out of those back 2 corrals.
You'll have a lot more fun through the course.

3Caballeros

Thank you! My kiddos will be doing several races in the fall so I will try to get that proof for them.
Will they be given an official piece of paper from their 10K or what ? Is it something that is given to everyone or will they need to arrange to have it ahead of time? Never needed this before so not quite sure what they'll be getting. Thanks!

DopeyRunr

Thank you! My kiddos will be doing several races in the fall so I will try to get that proof for them.
Will they be given an official piece of paper from their 10K or what ? Is it something that is given to everyone or will they need to arrange to have it ahead of time? Never needed this before so not quite sure what they'll be getting. Thanks!
You won't get anything on paper at the 10K race. You'll just enter the race details into the Proof of Time system and paste a link to the race results webpage. runDisney may (or may not) actually look at them.

runDisneygirl

They must submit the info by October 4th - don't miss the cutoff date or they will be the last corral(s)!!
After they finish their local race, the results will be posted online. They just need to submit the link to that results page to runDisney/trackshack.
http://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/#proof-of-time (it can be found under "Runner Info", and then "proof of time.")
Eventually, that link above will have something to click on and they can submit their info there.

3Caballeros

The big day is here - help!
Where do I register ? It's 2 hours away but I can't find the exact webpage to be on. Is it not available, yet ?

Anne

That's great! Did the computer system work pretty smoothly or were there are? Did you register all 3 simultaneously with different browsers/devices or did you do it consecutively? Any tips?

Anne

It should be "were there any hiccups" no idea how autocorect got "are" out of "any hiccups"!

runDisneygirl

Just seeing this now - glad you got all registered! 5K and 10K are sold out now (as of 1:54 central time), but the Half is still open. You just never know what's gonna happen with these things so it's just good to get on it right away.
Glad it worked out!

DopeyRunr

Crazy that 3.5 hours into registration the only things that are sold out are the 5K and 10K. Everything else still available.