Keeping busy at home

George

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tag
I tried a version of this recently with Hatch chiles. *Way* too hot, even for me.
Anaheims are mild to the point of sweetness. But there are some jalapeños also, for heat. The Anaheim/jalapeño mix is supposed to mimic Hatch chiles, which aren't always readily available, though though it sounds like you got a really hot batch.

geek1997

I'm from Texas and that all sounds like way to much work for me. But then I like beans in my chili. :oops: And I have a recipe for a chili that's vegetarian. Maybe I just like stew.

Anne

Probably most people here know this, but you can "walk through" the parks and often inside many of the stores and restaurants on Google maps street view. We were supposed to be there this week for the Wine and Dine races. My 8 year old has gone all-in on doing the trip virtual (an idea he got from his student teacher this spring). He writes out his itinerary for each day. Does a virtual tour of the hotel and room to check in (he's changing hotels every few days, because, why not), "drives" to each park from the hotel (or walks, monorails, or skyliner depending on the hotel). He "walks" on google maps between each attraction and then watches a you tube POV ride video once he's there. "At least there are no lines mom, we can do any ride we want." And he insists that at each meal we pretend we are at whatever restaurant he has chosen for the day. I somehow got roped into trying to make hollandaise sauce for his California Grill eggs benedict, wish me luck :RpS_lol:

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
Probably most people here know this, but you can "walk through" the parks and often inside many of the stores and restaurants on Google maps street view. We were supposed to be there this week for the Wine and Dine races. My 8 year old has gone all-in on doing the trip virtual (an idea he got from his student teacher this spring). He writes out his itinerary for each day. Does a virtual tour of the hotel and room to check in (he's changing hotels every few days, because, why not), "drives" to each park from the hotel (or walks, monorails, or skyliner depending on the hotel). He "walks" on google maps between each attraction and then watches a you tube POV ride video once he's there. "At least there are no lines mom, we can do any ride we want." And he insists that at each meal we pretend we are at whatever restaurant he has chosen for the day. I somehow got roped into trying to make hollandaise sauce for his California Grill eggs benedict, wish me luck :RpS_lol:
That's a great substitute for real trips.

Google maps street view and Google earth are seriously dangerous black holes. :RpS_laugh: I've disappeared down those black holes for very long periods of time.

George

Pork, Fennel, and Lemon Ragu (aka, White Bolognese) with Pappardelle, from America's Test Kitchen. Pork butt is braised in a hearty sauté of pancetta, onions, fennel, and a splash of cream, before being shredded and added back to the sauce with lemon zest and juice The sauce is tossed with papardelle, a wide, flat noodle, and everything is topped with shaved Pecorino Romano and some fresh fennel fronds. This was bright, porky, and lemony. The anise taste of fennel is tamed from braising, and turns sweet. This is restaurant-quality stuff. I had to stop myself from eating it all!

1605312020826.jpeg

DopeyRunr

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts f
Do you use the whole pork shoulder? The ones we buy for smoking are usually 7-12 lbs.

George

Where do you get your papardelle? Or do you make it? This looks wonderful!
I get it at the Italian market. We're lucky to have several that aren't too far, and they're a great resource for different pasta shapes. A good substitution would be fettuccine, which would be narrower and a bit thicker.

My new favorite are Fusilloni, which are really big fusilli/rotini. They're really good with a fresh, chunky tomato sauce or with a more creamy mushroom sauce.

Do you use the whole pork shoulder? The ones we buy for smoking are usually 7-12 lbs.
The recipe calls for a 1-1/2# pork butt roast (same general area as the shoulder); I found a 3# bone-in, so I boned it and saved the rest for the next time I make chili. Since it gets shredded after the braise, it didn't have to be pretty. You could also use boneless country "ribs", which are also from the same are, and which I often sub out when I need smaller amounts.

ThemeParkCommando

This was a baking weekend for hubby and me. Hubby decided to try baking cookies ( for his first time ever, and he's 44). He made Spongebob Squarepants' Grandma's cookies, from the Feast of Fiction recipe on YouTube. It's a weird chocolate chip cookie, uses 2 tbsp of pineapple juice and only brown sugar. The cookies come out very flat and crispy. They are good though!

My experiment was my first batch of sourdough bread, using a dry sourdough started I found at the grocery store. I also used pickle beer for the liquid ( brand: PKL FKR!) ( pardon the language). The bread didn't rise as much as I expected, not sure if I didn't let the starter sit long enough to wake the yeast, or if I didn't get the pickle beer warm enough ( I know it wasn't too warm). Anyway, the bread was a little dense, but still very delicious! Quite crusty on the outside, and no overwhelming taste of pickle, just a little hoppy zing to it. Great with butter.

Art Vandelay

that's a shame
I need a recipe for big fat snickerdoodles. They used to have them in a bunch of WDW locations. The big top store in Fantasyland, across from Dumbo, the Screen Door on the Boardwalk, a store in AK on the left as you exit the safari. They're great, almost doughy/raw in the middle (they're definitely cooked through, but the thickness allows them not to dry out). I don't know why, but they stopped making them. They were my go to mid-morning snack.

nolarookie

I need a recipe for big fat snickerdoodles. They used to have them in a bunch of WDW locations. The big top store in Fantasyland, across from Dumbo, the Screen Door on the Boardwalk, a store in AK on the left as you exit the safari. They're great, almost doughy/raw in the middle (they're definitely cooked through, but the thickness allows them not to dry out). I don't know why, but they stopped making them. They were my go to mid-morning snack.
I love snickerdoodles, I’d definitely be interested in a recipe