KSC/Cocoa/Cabana and Volcano Bay – Disney-adjacent TR

nolarookie

KSC sounds like a nice day trip. Once our boys are older, we plan to take them. I remember watching The Challenger in 5th grade, as well. Thank you for the review on Cabana Bay. As you said, my fear of staying there is not having EPAs. Happy to hear there was not a major impact for you! You were able to do a lot on your park days :)
I think our boys were the right age for KSC (10 and 12). Last summer we took them to the WWII museum in New Orleans and they really enjoyed it, so KSC seemed like a safe bet.

I really loved Cabana Bay, and would stay again in a heartbeat. We always seem to travel at busy times, but we didn’t miss having EPs this trip. Our last trip was during Mardi Gras and we stayed in Windsor Hills. (It was also a WDW trip). We didn’t feels like we needed EPs then either, but wasn’t really crowded at all at Universal on our days there, which were mid-week.

nolarookie

Last day—boo

Friday we started getting a few calls from home/work that drug us back to reality a bit. When planning this trip, we thought we’d stay all day Saturday and go to the parks, then swim at the resort. We planned to book a hotel near Orlando for the night, maybe in Gainesville or Lake City. But once we packed up the car we were thinking about getting home. We still wanted to go to the parks for a while though.

We drove over to the parking garage and headed to US. There was still some early admission time left, so we headed to the Mummy and Gringotts. We did a ride on Men In Black and the Simpsons. We headed to IOA and rode along, which no one like but my husband. We learned there are scare actors in the regular queue, which scared the crap out of my youngest. He will now refuse to ride unless we can use the EP line.

Finally we headed out. The little guy wanted a Spider-Man action figure as a souvenir so we swung by the Spider-Man ride to pick that up. The ride wait was like 55 minutes so we didn’t do that.

We hit the Starbucks at CityWalk for rode drinks and got a snack and headed home. We left around noon and pulled into our driveway about 9pm.

blambo22

We were there at the same time you were. We stayed 1 night at Cabana Bay with 6 in our room. Loved the room, too! We had 3 teen girls and a 12 year old boy and us 2 old folks. The room layout was nice. They went to the parks and we went to the lazy river. It was awesome!

My husband and teen kids went to KSC also. I stayed home. They went 6/30. They liked it but it rained so much the 2 weeks we went, that everyone was really tired of the rain. It seemed like it rained, and rained, and rained. Usually it rains and then clears up, but for some reason that week, it rained all the time! We finally EMBRACED the rain and it was fine.

Thanks for the pictures of KSC.

nolarookie

Yeah, it was a rainy vacation. We get a lot of rain this time of year at home too, so we’re pretty used to it. I do think it had a big impact on our wait times.

nolarookie

Since we’ve been back I’ve been a little bummed since we don’t have another Orlando trip on the horizon. We went a little Universal crazy this year, but I don’t see us going back to UOR anytime soon.

I’d like to plan a trip to Disneyland as part of a trip to Southern California, but some real life stuff has prevented me from making any forward movements on that plan (other than concocting the plan).

I’m also not a fan of flying, renting cars, etc. It all seems a bit overwhelming, but I know many of you do it regularly when visiting Orlando, so I just need to make my reservations and get on with it. If I could just have a few things settle down, I could pick a date....

Calicat

Thanks for sharing your insights on the Cocoa Beach area and KSC! We have made Cocoa Beach our "down day" during Disney trips and love visiting the Jetty Park area to watch the Disney ships depart port! We also always visit RonJons and recommend Rock The Guac for good Mexican food! We have not actually ever stayed over in the Cocoa Beach and just stick with Windsor Hills as our home base for our Disney/Florida trips!

Cathy

nolarookie

Thanks for sharing your insights on the Cocoa Beach area and KSC! We have made Cocoa Beach our "down day" during Disney trips and love visiting the Jetty Park area to watch the Disney ships depart port! We also always visit RonJons and recommend Rock The Guac for good Mexican food! We have not actually ever stayed over in the Cocoa Beach and just stick with Windsor Hills as our home base for our Disney/Florida trips!

Cathy
Thanks for reading! Yes, it’s so close I can see just doing a day trip while staying in Orlando. I’m a bit of a beach junkie, and my family was kind enough to indulge me for a couple days. I love being able to just step out of the hotel and be on the sand. Plus I love being on the beach between 4pm and about 8, right before it gets dark.

JollyHoliday

Thanks for the write-up on KSC. We're planning on stopping there for a day before heading to WDW next summer. I'll look for the suggested itineraries on the site.